Is is OK to contact grad students already in a program and ask them what the interview is like?

alkaline262

I have an interview for the PhD Biology program in two weeks at Marquette University in Wisconsin. I am considering contacting current graduate students at the program and ask them what the interview is like. Is this unreasonable? This is my interview, and I am very concerned.  

I've had overwhelmingly positive interactions with every single graduate student that I've reached out to. They've helped me identify POIs. They've given me info like, "this person is really busy. hard to get to," "this person is retiring," "consider this person or this person has a TON of advisees." We've discussed my projects and they've given me opportunities to look into. One grad student that I contacted over the summer ended up being really fantastic and we ended up submitting on a panel together and it was just approved! I have to believe that most people want to see others succeed and are willing to share resources and information.

Of course it is OK. But you will be cold calling them (I realize that expression has less meaning now that we do everything by e-mail), so don't expect folks to get back to you right away or at all. I'd find three or four students that are working in what you want to do or with a prof you are considering as an advisor. Write a polite e-mail, explaining who you are and what you are contacting them about in the first couple sentences. If you write a short question, they will feel like they can write a shorter reply and be more likely to respond. But really, most "interviews" are hardly that, you just talk a little about what excites you and what the profs do. Pretty casual, just don't pretend to know more or less than you do and ask lots of questions. As long as you come off as inquisitive and a not horrible person to work with, you'll be fine.

Edited by Usmivka

Congrats on the interview!

I would largely echo what was said above. I contacted some current grad students and had generally warm and helpful responses! I touched base while mulling over offers, rather than at the interview stage, but I think that correspondence at this stage could still be valuable. There are a few routes you could go. You could as a grad coordinator for the name of someone who is happy to correspond with you; this has the benefit of usually speaking to someone who is enthusiastic and has willingly made themselves available. I spoke to one such person whom I was referred to! I also exchanged e-mail with two students who were in my area and being supervised by the faculty member that i had in mind. I was able to get their info from the department website, which listed students' supervisors. As with PhDreams, I got great feedback concerning the availability and "supervisory style" of the faculty member, which helped me to make an informed decision. It could certainly help YOU articulate fit; I imagine that if you say, "I'm interested in working with so and so" and also that "I work well with a lot of autonomy" and the interviewer knows that the faculty member mentioned is appropriate/available for your interests AND generally allows for a lot of independence with her students, then your "fit" with the program will be all the more apparent.

Be sure to be concise and polite. Mention why you contacted THEM (either you were referred by someone or you see that they are in your area/with your supervisor ect;). That helps mitigate the "cold call" ickiness and will show that you directed your inquiry thoughtfully. And offer them an "out", especially if you were not referred to them. Acknowledging that you know that they are busy will help you to maybe get a response, even if it's just, "I'm not really available to address this, try (Other student)". At this stage, a general question like, "What do you wish someone had said to you before your interview?" might garner some interesting insight. I find that, even now, when I ask more senior students for advice on picking courses or comprehensive exams or something, they always start with. "Well, I wish that someone had told me-" or "If I could go back, i would have done this the same but that differently".

Good luck!

Edited by surefire

Thanks for the info, and I think I will email a few students in advance of the interview day.Also, I will be meeting grad students in the lab of my prospective advisers on the interview day, so having previously contacted some of them might make this meeting go even smoother.  

Excellent advice from surefire and Usmivka.  As one who assists with the coordination of our graduate recruitment weekend (GRW), when we invite 'prospies' to visit, we have graduate students who also contact prospies within a week of their invitation.  I highly encourage contact between current grad students and the prospies.  With our program, if you receive an invitation to visit during the GRW, consider this an honor!  Unfortunately, it's a very competitive program for you AND us!  We spare nothing when it comes to our GRW weekend and are often told it's the best they've attended.  The evenings are fun-filled and a lot of time is spent with current grad students and faculty.

We have one full day for interviews (back-to-back) and half-day the next, when needed, and it can be very exhausting.  Be prepared when you're meeting with the faculty - ALL of them.  Ask questions and stay alert!  At the same time, try to relax, smile and be yourself.  In some cases you may have interviews with faculty you didn't request but be aware these are just as important as the others.  Reasons for this might be they're part of the selection committee, other people you requested are on sabbatical or unavailable, or the faculty may be interested in what they saw on your app as a good match for their lab. 

One last thing, if you're invited to several of these events and some fall on the same weekend, don't be afraid to request an alternate weekend!  Most will accommodate you if they're interested in you (which they obviously are since you received the invitation!).  In a few cases, they'll say no - which would make me wonder whether or not I'd want to even go there.  Just be aware if you're attending an alternate visit, you're missing out on the best experience by not being able to meet all faculty and grad students for the planned events.

Good luck!

Excellent advice from surefire and Usmivka. 

Thanks I guess, but next time please don't downvote me if you like it, it gives me feelings of low self-esteem not entirely unlike my day job ; )

Maybe they need to put those buttons further apart...

Edited by Usmivka