One choice only ... what to do?

An accept is an accept, unless it is some sort of contest to see how many acceptances you can get. If you want to go to the university, then take the acceptance and enroll. If not, then reapply next only to universities you would actually attend if admitted.

I am in the same boat so far and although I have a few more apps out there, the chances of getting in are looking more and more doubtful as time passes. The admissions process is hellish to go through again. But your experiences with this cycle will make next cycle relatively smoother. As a poster above me said, an admit is an admit but if it's somewhere you were terribly fond of or, as in my case, financing your education will be a major problem then reapplying might be an okay choice. I guess it depends on how strongly you feel towards the school that admitted you. Best of luck!

I though that the point in applying to schools is to attend them so your question throws me for a loop.

I guess you need to ask yourself if you want to go to school or if you spent $1000 and 3 months so you could juggle acceptance letters.

I though that the point in applying to schools is to attend them so your question throws me for a loop.

I guess you need to ask yourself if you want to go to school or if you spent $1000 and 3 months so you could juggle acceptance letters.

I literally laughed out loud when I read this because the juggling comment conjured up quite an image in my head. I mean no offense to the OP. It's been an anxious and stressful four weeks and and I haven't laughed like that in awhile.

To the OP--I think it's been a tough year for everyone. Even applicants with the most competitive dossiers are not getting spots in some programs. That is not necessarily a reflection on you or your credentials, but on the fact that there is simply little funding to go around, and most programs like to fund their students. I have heard that this year in my field alone, many programs are taking in half of their normal cohort. If you were accepted somewhere (especially with funding) I would go for it. But I will be honest and say that if I were in your shoes, I would probably be second-guessing myself too. I've only been accepted by one program but I haven't heard the final word on funding yet. Lately I've been working on getting excited to attend that school because I know there's a chance I might not be accepted anywhere else. Definately visit the program and see if it's the right fit for you.

I literally laughed out loud when I read this because the juggling comment conjured up quite an image in my head. I mean no offense to the OP. It's been an anxious and stressful four weeks and and I haven't laughed like that in awhile.

To the OP--I think it's been a tough year for everyone. Even applicants with the most competitive dossiers are not getting spots in some programs. That is not necessarily a reflection on you or your credentials, but on the fact that there is simply little funding to go around, and most programs like to fund their students. I have heard that this year in my field alone, many programs are taking in half of their normal cohort. If you were accepted somewhere (especially with funding) I would go for it. But I will be honest and say that if I were in your shoes, I would probably be second-guessing myself too. I've only been accepted by one program but I haven't heard the final word on funding yet. Lately I've been working on getting excited to attend that school because I know there's a chance I might not be accepted anywhere else. Definately visit the program and see if it's the right fit for you.

No, I know what you're all saying, and it does make sense. The economy is so bad that even these programs are terribly affected. But, I think you misread what I was trying to ask. Its not "how many" acceptances at all like FSIA pointed out. What I meant was that with one acceptance you are sort of FORCED to go there, obviously. And honestly, I applied to 9 schools with similar programs hoping I could end up choosing on the basis of whether I liked the place, the labs, etc when I visited. I have only one choice right now and its frustrating not being able to compare it with anywhere else.

I guess thats my concern.

I had only one acceptance last year, and I visited and hated the place, so I reapplied. I had thought I'd like it, but my visit convinced me otherwise, and I'm incredibly glad I didn't go. Visit the place; check it out; decide if you really want to go there. Then if you do, be very happy you got in, and if you don't, realize that it means some school thought you were qualified this year, and that means you have a good shot next year (now that you have a better idea of what makes a program you like, even if that idea is just 'not the school I turned down') of getting in someplace again, because you're a good candidate. Then reapply places based on your new understanding of what makes a good school for you. Good luck! I hope you like your accepted school, but if you don't, it's not the end of the world to reapply.

No, I know what you're all saying, and it does make sense. The economy is so bad that even these programs are terribly affected. But, I think you misread what I was trying to ask. Its not "how many" acceptances at all like FSIA pointed out. What I meant was that with one acceptance you are sort of FORCED to go there, obviously. And honestly, I applied to 9 schools with similar programs hoping I could end up choosing on the basis of whether I liked the place, the labs, etc when I visited. I have only one choice right now and its frustrating not being able to compare it with anywhere else.

I guess thats my concern.

I apologize if it appeared as though I misread you, because what I was trying to say is that I know how you feel and where you're coming from. I guess that didn't come through in my post. Like Comfect mentioned, you should definately visit the program and see if it's right for you. If it's not, then definately wait. But if you think you can make it work (and you don't feel forced), then I would say go for it.

If you have received an accept for a PhD from only one university (out of the 9 you applied to), should you take it or reapply next year to have more options?

I guess one fundamental question to be asked is: Exactly why do you think you will have more options next year?

At a lot of schools, they will ask you to explain why you've reapplied if you reapply to some programs next year. Retaking the GRE will not be enough to satisfactorily answer this question. Though they may have not looked at you based on the merits of your GRE, they still like to pretend it was about some issue of merit and personal development.

I only applied to schools I wanted to go to. In the end, I was only accepted to one out of the seven schools... and I'm okay with that. I visited, I loved it, and I definitely do not feel forced to go there.

I think at the start of the application process everyone should ask themselves, "what if this is the only school that accepts me?" and see how you feel. If you wouldn't be happy with a school as your only choice (assuming you have funding and all that good stuff...) then you probably shouldn't have wasted money applying there in the first place.

However, I may have looked at the process differently than others, because with my 3.1 GPA I didn't have the luxury of assuming I'd get at least ONE acceptance. In fact, I was completely expecting across the board rejections and I was (to put it mildly) elated when I was accepted.

To answer your question (should you take it?), I say take it if you want it and the funding is right. Unless you can do something to significantly improve your portfolio by the next application season (like publishing), I don't see any reason why not. Changing your GRE score is not going to have much of an effect unless maybe your score was originally below the cutoffs.

I only applied to schools I wanted to go to. In the end, I was only accepted to one out of the seven schools... and I'm okay with that. I visited, I loved it, and I definitely do not feel forced to go there.

I think at the start of the application process everyone should ask themselves, "what if this is the only school that accepts me?" and see how you feel. If you wouldn't be happy with a school as your only choice (assuming you have funding and all that good stuff...) then you probably shouldn't have wasted money applying there in the first place.

However, I may have looked at the process differently than others, because with my 3.1 GPA I didn't have the luxury of assuming I'd get at least ONE acceptance. In fact, I was completely expecting across the board rejections and I was (to put it mildly) elated when I was accepted.

To answer your question (should you take it?), I say take it if you want it and the funding is right. Unless you can do something to significantly improve your portfolio by the next application season (like publishing), I don't see any reason why not. Changing your GRE score is not going to have much of an effect unless maybe your score was originally below the cutoffs.

My GRE was like 60 points lower than expected for engineering. I knew it was a problem but I just did not have time to retake it in time for the applications because of the whole ETS "once a month" rule. My GPA was a 3.45 as well at the time, which is not awesome. I have good research, one first author publication, and 2/3 recs are very very strong. However, I found out through talking to a prof at a prospective school that my 3rd rec was a little weird. It was from a prof I had taken 3 classes with and that I TA-ed for. However, apparently the prof mentioned that I did not do very well (B's) in his class except for the last class in which I got an A. I wasn't too happy to hear this because when writing a rec, especially for grad school, you would expect them to write things in a positive manner. I mean this prof knows me for three years - I have gone to so many office hours and I put in so much effort in his classes and always got As in the lab complements of his courses. Why penalize me for my poor test taking skills in his theory sections?

I dunno ... I just feel that having one acceptance along with all the mess of my GRE and one rec, I am just not meant to go to grad school this year.

I feel I can reapply next year with a lot more confidence and a different rec. I am just nervous to make the decision on this one school when everything seems to be saying DONT. Does that make any sense?

My GRE was like 60 points lower than expected for engineering. I knew it was a problem but I just did not have time to retake it in time for the applications because of the whole ETS "once a month" rule. My GPA was a 3.45 as well at the time, which is not awesome. I have good research, one first author publication, and 2/3 recs are very very strong. However, I found out through talking to a prof at a prospective school that my 3rd rec was a little weird. It was from a prof I had taken 3 classes with and that I TA-ed for. However, apparently the prof mentioned that I did not do very well (B's) in his class except for the last class in which I got an A. I wasn't too happy to hear this because when writing a rec, especially for grad school, you would expect them to write things in a positive manner. I mean this prof knows me for three years - I have gone to so many office hours and I put in so much effort in his classes and always got As in the lab complements of his courses. Why penalize me for my poor test taking skills in his theory sections?

I dunno ... I just feel that having one acceptance along with all the mess of my GRE and one rec, I am just not meant to go to grad school this year.

I feel I can reapply next year with a lot more confidence and a different rec. I am just nervous to make the decision on this one school when everything seems to be saying DONT. Does that make any sense?

It sounds like you've already made up your mind :) If you don't want to go to the school and reasonably believe you can do better next year, then reapply.

I would visit your one admit if at all possible -- you might be pleasantly surprised. If you visit and you don't fall in love, or if you can't visit, I would go with your gut and try again next year. You sound pretty convinced that you could do better next year, and you know your credentials better than we do. :)

Don't forget to ask the rejections for feedback on your app.

I have only one choice right now and its frustrating not being able to compare it with anywhere else.

I know it's hard to do, but I recommend asking yourself "How well does this program work for me?" rather than "How does this program compare to other programs?". Will attending the program help you do the things you want to do in life? If the answer is yes, go for it. If the answer is no, apply again next year. Good luck!

At a lot of schools, they will ask you to explain why you've reapplied if you reapply to some programs next year. Retaking the GRE will not be enough to satisfactorily answer this question. Though they may have not looked at you based on the merits of your GRE, they still like to pretend it was about some issue of merit and personal development.

I think this person is right on the money. Unless the program tells you that your GRE scores were the sinker of your app, then bringing them up will not necessarily boost your chances. There's really no way of knowing and there's no guarantee. I know this from personal experience. I have excellent grades (3.95), research experience, honors in both majors, I have presented at numerous conferences, a Master's in a subject relevant to the degree to which I am applying, relevant job experience, supportive LoRs, and I have been told that my SoP is good by advisors. The only item that really held my application back were my GRE scores. I heard this time and time again when I asked for feedback. It was no surprise because I knew they were terrible. This year I really worked on improving my score and I scored almost 400 points higher. Hopefully it will pan out and I'll get into the program I want.