Cornell School for Criticism and Theory

I worked for SCT the past two summers (currently finishing up my undergrad here)...it's a great program obviously full of people doing pretty fascinating things and such. The atmosphere for socializing is nice and the courses don't require a paper or any submitted work so you have time to work on your other projects while you're in Ithaca. There's also endless receptions with endless wine and beer and fancy catered food. The lectures are hit or miss but I've only heard good things about the courses (which unfortunately I didn't get to sit in on). But yeah basically you'll have a lot of time to yourself and probably drink pretty often and go swimming in the gorges. Ithaca is infernally hot in the summer so that tends to happen quite a bit.

I worked for SCT the past two summers (currently finishing up my undergrad here)...it's a great program obviously full of people doing pretty fascinating things and such. The atmosphere for socializing is nice and the courses don't require a paper or any submitted work so you have time to work on your other projects while you're in Ithaca. There's also endless receptions with endless wine and beer and fancy catered food. The lectures are hit or miss but I've only heard good things about the courses (which unfortunately I didn't get to sit in on). But yeah basically you'll have a lot of time to yourself and probably drink pretty often and go swimming in the gorges. Ithaca is infernally hot in the summer so that tends to happen quite a bit.

That sounds awesome. Now I'm all excited.

Yeah, this program sounds really great. There are always 2-3 people that I would love to take a course with teaching. I usually don't have enough money though. Hopefully there will be some summer funding at whatever PhD program I attend. I want to do this and Naropa (a similar program for creative writers... awesome faculty, week long classes).

Too bad they closed half the bars in Collegetown!

Yeah the closing of Palms was pretty tragic. But my experience with SCTers is that they mainly hang out at Chapter House in CT or Felicia's/Westie downtown...or Stella's I guess but it's always so quiet there in the summers.

I just found out that if you're fully sponsored, they GUARANTEE your admission to the program. Guys, talk to your schools about sponsoring you! It looks like a good bit of free fun.

• 3 weeks later...

I applied. I was excited before, but now it sounds even better based on what others are saying. Lots folks there addressing posthumanism too, which is something I'm interested in. I think they said notification of admission would be in March.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Has anybody received any notifications regarding this program? :)

Received. Unluckily, I was not admitted, but perhaps it is better, because next year I will be able to try for the funded application within the Graduate School. :P