Summer Between Undergrad and Grad

For all the undergrad admits on the board, what are you thinking about doing for the summer between grad and undergrad? I've been debating a D.C. internship or going home and boning up on some lit and taking a maths course. Both options have proponents within my adivsor cohort, I just don't know which would be best. So what are others doing? And what have others done in the past?

I was just about to post this type of topic!

I'm not sure what I should do, but I plan on doing as much background reading as I can. I've gathered up a few syllabuses so far and will start getting some of the readings done. (I'll replace them when the new ones for fall come). I think the math course is a good idea. Other than that, I may move to wherever school I go to in May/June and start acquainting myself with the area. Vacation and relaxation is also a necessity, so I'll try to gather up some funds to go to Puerto Rico for at least two weeks (if not, then we'll do a road trip around the country or something).

I'd like to here what others have done or are planning to do too.

To those people who are already accepted, my suggestion is, have has much fun as possible! Sure the background reading might make the transition a slight bit easier, but to be honest, I think that is more important for people who have been out of school for a while. Instead, you are about to embark on at least five years of challenging and arduous work, go have some fun... (although now that I think about it, maybe that is what you've been doing for the last four years anyway :) )

I am going to start learning French.

I am going to read a lot - some political theory and some novels that have been on "the pile" for a while.

I am going to hang out with my brother since he is awesome and I'm not sure when we'll get to do that again once the summer ends.

I am going to become well acquainted with Madison's bar and local music scene.

Then its off to Durham for the next step of my adventure.

Current grad here. Whatever you do, take some time to relax and have fun. To burn yourself out on reading and math because the first year of grad school is tough and you don't want to burn and crash. Internships are fine, but take some vacation time and have fun. I would advise most of you to do nothing and just enjoy life. It's about to get much more hectic.

for the love of god, HAVE FUN! You already got into grad school, so what's the point of working your ass off? You have the next 7 years for that.

Here's an idea: Why don't you get a job? You know, those things that pays by the hour and from which you don't learn anything? Like work at a restaurant or something. You'll probably never the chance to do it again, and it might be fun. And most importantly, you can try to save money for the next decade of student poverty.

for the love of god, HAVE FUN! You already got into grad school, so what's the point of working your ass off? You have the next 7 years for that.

Here's an idea: Why don't you get a job? You know, those things that pays by the hour and from which you don't learn anything? Like work at a restaurant or something. You'll probably never the chance to do it again, and it might be fun. And most importantly, you can try to save money for the next decade of student poverty.

I second this. Also, you will want to get your liver in shape for grad school. It's about to get the hardest five years of its life. You don't want to end up like Yossarian, kiddies.

I've been working for a few years (I'm 25), but I'll be starting a phd in the fall and I'm going to leave my current job sometime in late spring/early summer. I'll be traveling and perhaps getting a job, but certainly not taking classes or doing extensive reading. Work sucks and the breaks like this one don't come often, so take advantage.

The last time I was in between jobs (Voluntarily, I might add. I didn't re-up my English teaching contract in Taiwan.) I took a month to travel overland via Phnom Penh-Siem Reap-Ko Chang-Bangkok, and then flew to China to do Beijing, the Yangtze, Xian, and Shanghia. Best. Decision. Ever. I should mention that I met some other grad students along the way who just couldn't force themselves to do summer work, so consider this idea.

My experience with food service - I was a waiter at a fine dining joint in DC - tells me that a job at a restaurant is about as far from a relaxing a way to spend the summer as possible. Seriously, I'd rather take a crack at Being and Time than get yelled at by another obnoxious old lady because I couldn't maker her damn Bloody Mary fast enough.

My experience with food service - I was a waiter at a fine dining joint in DC - tells me that a job at a restaurant is about as far from a relaxing a way to spend the summer as possible. Seriously, I'd rather take a crack at Being and Time than get yelled at by another obnoxious old lady because I couldn't maker her damn Bloody Mary fast enough.

Yeah working in food service does suck (I was a busgirl at a shitty italian joint in high school.) But I feel like it might suck so much that it'll make grad school seem awesome by comparison

Yeah working in food service does suck (I was a busgirl at a shitty italian joint in high school.) But I feel like it might suck so much that it'll make grad school seem awesome by comparison

Ha! Now you might be on to something with that. Though if you really just want to rank up the misery index can I recommend my own first job: usher at a shitty chain movie theater in a shitty Texas small town?

Honestly, I recommend getting books from your favorite non-academic authors and reading them. Spend some time enjoying the scenery, the outdoors, etc. Why? Because once school starts, most of your time will be spent reading things you've been assigned, reading things for your research, and with a computer. This is your last summer "off" of your life so do what you want with it. I regret not having a summer off between undergrad and grad.

(Also a current grad student, if you couldn't tell.)

If you have funding and don't need to worry about earning alot of money: take a methods course; compile a reading list of journal articles in your sub-field (small but representative); put real effort into identifying some of the technical elements of good academic writing and research; and, not least important, reserve time for r & r. All of these things will prepare you for the rigours of gradschool and will go a long way towards helping you function with greater efficiency and focus once the real work starts.

Signed, Hindsight is 20/20

I am currently in a MA program of Econ. After completing my MA thesis I plan to go travel overseas somewhere. And since I've been away from home so long, I will go back and stay for a while, spend some time together with my family. This is my fun part.

For preparation of PhD study, I would like to learn another language and do some readings in political science to catch up with others.

However, as an international student I have other things to worry about, like visa, immunity certificates, driver's license, housing... I really doubt if I have time for all these plans.

LOL That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid! I've been doing that for the past five years of undergrad and very well may have to do it for 2 years of a masters program. Saving money=good. Mindless work=mindless. :roll: