Acceptance Freakout Thread

I am an AI (came in with M.Ed) - PM me if you want more detail about the AI portion in general and my experience in particular.

It all sounds vaguely Blade Runner-ish; do they augment you or fully digitize you? I kind of want in on this action....

Edited by wreckofthehope

So I guess no one knows the answer to my question about how common it is to require teaching in the first year? I know CUNY, Stanford and Columbia all don't start with TA-ships until year 2. 

Whoa harsh. I'm not even remotely related to this conversation but field what it's worth I think DontHate has posted the most intelligent comments/arguments I've seen on this forum. Dog > cat.

Sorry for the down vote but I was kind of overcome by my love of cats. I can't say it was mature but I'm not sure I regret it that much. Cats forever.

Edit: and, um, congrats sebsteddy! I've been rooting for you pretty hard! Glad something good happened!

Edited by girl who wears glasses

So I guess no one knows the answer to my question about how common it is to require teaching in the first year? I know CUNY, Stanford and Columbia all don't start with TA-ships until year 2. 

Pretty much every school I applied to requires it, as did my MA. First-year fellowships sometimes allow a student to have the first year off from teaching, like at NYU. I don't think this is the norm, though. 

I don't think comparative lit students are used to teach freshman comp as much as English students, so there might simply be fewer classes to teach. I be completely wrong in this, though.

Edited by asleepawake

From what I know, it really depends on the program. Some of the more well-funded ones (like Yale and Columbia for instance) don't require teaching until the second year, but some of the state schools (even higher-tier ones) require their funded students to teach immediately. It might also depend on if the student has a Master's degree or not or teaching experience of some kind. I have no idea how it works on the Comp Lit side of things, however. 

FWIW, with the fellowship I just received at Riverside, it gives me the first year off from teaching. I think without it first year students would teach. 

From what I've seen with the programs I applied too, first year fellowships are pretty common such that a lot of first year graduate students don't have to teach. UIllinois does have first year graduate students teaching rhetoric courses, meanwhile UChicago doesn't have students teaching until the third year.

I'm actually really excited to teach, though that's certainly not going to make or break my decision to go someplace. I'm sure once I'm in the mix I'll see why some programs prefer that students wait a bit longer!

Edited by jazzy dubois

But also, congratulations to everyone getting in places and feeling awesome!!! So happy for y'all. It's really exciting, seeing it all happen again.

And to my waitlisters, HOPE IS NOT GONE. I love my waitlisted kinspeople. I will pull for all of you the hardest.

Fiona Thunderpaws!  Good to see you on the forums again.  How have you been?

It's more common for there to be no teaching in the first year in comp lit programs, or at least that's the way it seemed to me when I was applying (to a mix of comp lit, interdisciplinary and English programs). It's also more common for private schools to offer a package with a teaching free first year (as a general rule), so with your discipline and list of schools you were more likely to be applying to places where they don't require teaching in the first year. That also happened to me - none of my schools required first year teaching - interdisciplinary programs and comp lit have less undergrads to teach and wouldn't be expected to cover freshman comp, so they just don't have the same need to draw on grad students as instructors.

Edited by wreckofthehope

It's more common for there to be no teaching in the first year in comp lit programs, or at least that's the way it seemed to me when I was applying (to a mix of comp lit, interdisciplinary and English programs). It's also more common for private schools to offer a package with a teaching free first year (as a general rule), so with your discipline and list of schools you were more likely to be applying to places where they don't require teaching in the first year. That also happened to me - none of my schools required first year teaching - interdisciplinary programs and comp lit have less undergrads to teach and wouldn't be expected to cover freshman comp, so they just don't have the same need to draw on grad students as instructors.

Except generally comp lit students have the option to teach foreign language classes, which is considered much more marketable than adding yourself to the already flooded pool of English PhDs qualified to teach freshman comp. I suppose there would be a high demand for language instructors in the most popular languages, like Spanish and French.

Don'tHate: I'm pretty sure the norm is that better-funded programs (read: more prestigious programs) don't make you TA right away, perhaps at least 2nd year onward. Other programs (read: not as well funded/need the manpower)...

Except generally comp lit students have the option to teach foreign language classes, which is considered much more marketable than adding yourself to the already flooded pool of English PhDs qualified to teach freshman comp. I suppose there would be a high demand for language instructors in the most popular languages, like Spanish and French.

But the foreign language departments already have their own grad students to teach language classes. At the comp lit programs I applied to, they said that there was the possibility of getting a TA position in a foreign language department, but it wasn't something they could guarantee because they are a separate department.

I guess it depends on the relative size of different departments. Some schools have much larger Comp Lit departments relative to language depts (like Stanford). This makes it pretty easy to find a language teaching position.

Don'tHate: I'm pretty sure the norm is that better-funded programs (read: more prestigious programs) don't make you TA right away, perhaps at least 2nd year onward. Other programs (read: not as well funded/need the manpower)...

UT is very well-funded for its grad students (6 years guaranteed) but the size and focus of the English department (plus the requirement of a particular college comp class by every student in the unversity) requires more teaching from grad students. Since I love teaching and the opportunities to design my own courses, I actually quite like it. But I see the benefits of a teaching-free year and private colleges do tend to have those more often.

About the whole TA convo, It's interesting to learn of some programs *requiring* first year TA.  I asked my schools about it because I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to live on stipend alone and I really wanted to get into teaching as early as possible, but I guess none of them offer it first year. Berkeley said you weren't even allowed to, the rest said they'd prefer you didn't and the maximum is 10 hours/week if you do. Apparently you can apply for the same positions as other grad students, but appointments go by rank of seniority so you're probably not even going to get one as a first-year. I *wish* they required it :/

About the whole TA convo, It's interesting to learn of some programs *requiring* first year TA.  I asked my schools about it because I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to live on stipend alone and I really wanted to get into teaching as early as possible, but I guess none of them offer it first year. Berkeley said you weren't even allowed to, the rest said they'd prefer you didn't and the maximum is 10 hours/week if you do. Apparently you can apply for the same positions as other grad students, but appointments go by rank of seniority so you're probably not even going to get one as a first-year. I *wish* they required it :/

TA-ships are additional to the stipend??? Jealous!

Don'thate - I don't think anyone was fighting about first year fellowships... and I'm not sure that is what Datatape was referring to, but maybe I'm wrong?