Acceptance Freakout Thread

If one emails a POI and promptly receives a reply, and if two excerpts from said reply read: "I read your file with real interest" and "Your application is certainly still in consideration"--how does one interpret this, beyond face-value? I'm especially curious as to what this forum thinks about the first comment; the second probably just means exactly what it says. 

If one emails a POI and promptly receives a reply, and if two excerpts from said reply read: "I read your file with real interest" and "Your application is certainly still in consideration"--how does one interpret this, beyond face-value? I'm especially curious as to what this forum thinks about the first comment; the second probably just means exactly what it says. 
Looks like somebody wants to go out on a date.

You shouldn't count your app out of the running yet. One of my professors told me that there are generally three waves to the decision process. The first is done by the secretaries to weed out the less potential apps. I suppose this is when numbers make a difference if the school received lots of applications. The second is then decided by the admissions committee when they might decide on who they definitely want to admit off the bat and entice with fellowship offers. If you've made it as far as the last stage, that's when they are still trying to argue for the last few spots available. Even if you weren't made an initial offer, you would want to be at this stage because you still have a chance.

Of course all schools are different, but some might follow this structure. All you got to do is just keep hoping. And that's easier said than done.

I think so! I'm trying to figure out how to get there without taking much time off from work. I don't live near a major airport, and the campus is not near a major airport, so it could take a whole day of traveling! I really need to see the campus and community, as well as talk to students and professors, to get a good feel for the program. I am terrified of living in the middle of miles and miles of cornfields, but if the campus and program are fabulous enough, I may have to get over my fear of flat country and take the leap! 

Well, if you can't make it to the official welcome weekend I think they will still pay for you to come a different time. And if work is an obstacle for you, perhaps you can take a one day trip? Fly a redeye into Illinois, get to campus by 9 am, drop in on classes that interest you, explore the city a bit , have back to back meetings scheduled with profs you want to meet and catch a late evening flight back home. Obviously it's not the ideal situation and you will be exhausted by the end of the day, but it's better than not having the chance to visit at all. 

I totally get the fear of cornfields thing though! I've only ever lived in large costal states, so the whole middle of America thing would be a bit of an adjustment, although sort of exciting in a way. There are probably far fewer distractions too =)

It's not a fib, at least it's not likely. I don't know who posted that, but a friend of mine just posted that he received an acceptance. So... it's more likely than not...

nail-biting starts.... now

I also think it's possible that this is a real acceptance. I haven't been this nervous since the day I found out that Northwestern thinks I suck.

Also, any Victorianists applying to Penn? I just want to know whose application is going to kick my application's ass this year. Congrats in advance, by the way. ;)

Edited by The Whistler

Also, going from the results search, the initial UPenn acceptances generally happen over the phone. And the poster marked it under email... don't know, may be a fib I suppose.

It's going to be such a long afternoon. I have no hope with this one but one of my letter writers insisted and I think it would be cool if my only acceptance came from the school I almost overlooked. It's all about the narrative, really.

Also, going from the results search, the initial UPenn acceptances generally happen over the phone. And the poster marked it under email... don't know, may be a fib I suppose.

Fib or no, that doesn't change the fact that at least one real person has gotten an acceptance..... I don't know if it was by phone call or not though, I should ask. But I feel like a weirdo since I've done that with at least 2 of their other acceptances lol.