CHANCE ME: I/O Psych

I/O The Derry-O

Hello Everyone -

Just wanted to see your thoughts about my chance of getting admitted into University at Albany's master's program in I/O Psychology.

I graduated from SUNY Oneonta about a year ago with a B.S. in Psychology

Undergraduate GPA: 3.98

Major GPA: 4.00

My GRE scores were:

Verbal: 540

Quantitative: 700

Analytical Writing: 4.0

During undergrad I obtained 3 semesters of research experience and presented at our college's research symposium.

I am currently enrolled in a master's program in counseling where I have a 4.0 GPA so far.

I also have a year of work experience under my belt which includes doing some staffing and recruitment for a local nonprofit and I now currently work for the Dept. of Labor assisting job seekers to find work.

What're your thoughts? I've heard I/O programs focus primarily on research and/or work experience so I'm not entirely sure where I stand... Thank you in advance!

Why type of labs did you volunteer in?

I worked in the same one for all 3 semesters. It was working with the social psychologist of the department on a study that examined the effect of computer-mediated communication on our opinions of others. I helped pilot the study though so a lot of work went into those three semesters.

Well, at least that social project can easily be connected to I/O.

However, you're going to have to explain why you're earning a masters in counseling. 

I thought I had wanted to do counseling, after taking 2 semesters of courses and gaining some work experience, I realized it's not for me. Do you really think the faculty reviewing my application will care that I started my graduate study in a different field? I've heard of graduate students switching programs and I know people who have graduated with a master's in one field but were admitted to a PhD program in a somewhat unrelated field,

I thought I had wanted to do counseling, after taking 2 semesters of courses and gaining some work experience, I realized it's not for me. Do you really think the faculty reviewing my application will care that I started my graduate study in a different field? I've heard of graduate students switching programs and I know people who have graduated with a master's in one field but were admitted to a PhD program in a somewhat unrelated field,

I would say you have a pretty good shot. I've been told by my I/O advisors that most Master's programs care more about work experience than research experience, you have both. Also, if anything, I think your ability to succeed at the Master's level already says a lot. I think most of it will come down to how you framed your personal statement and how strong your resume/cv looks.

I concur with Roebuck1.  If I were in your shoes, I would frame my statement of purpose to focus on why I want to do I/O and not why I don't want to do counseling.  If there is anything in your grad counseling experience or work experience that has lit a fire in you for I/O, focus on that. 

• 1 month later...