Too many recommendations?

Hanyuye

Hi there,

I am applying for graduate school and now and some universities require a minimum of 3 recommendations. I am definitely submitting 4 recommendations and have a possibility of a fifth recommender. Will that look bad for adcomms ? Any suggestions about this are welcome!

I don't think giving them more work is a way to make admissions committees happy about your application. If you are determined to send in that many, make sure to order them somehow (in an online form or in your SOP) to make sure that the three you most want read are at the top of the reading list. Assume they won't read them all, and letters 4 and 5 may not be looked at by every person in every committee. Do reference who they are from and what they speak to about you in your SOP if there is something specific you want people to notice that isn't covered in the stronger letters.

Thing is, I am applying to petroleum engineering programs and had a lot of domestic issues during my undergrad. A French lit professor who was my mentor/advisor for 3 years and also my thesis supervisor is the fifth recommender. I thought he was on sabbatical away from the country but turns out he is in town. He knows me personally and i'm pretty sure his words are very good concerning I majored in English first, then went to Math, thus my double-major can be an advantage or 'doubt' to adcomms. 

Is that a good enough reason for a 5th recommender? Also, I can't order the recommenders because the universities I am applying to require them by mail! Which makes things a hundred times harder since they have to go back to school for a school letter-head and then send them which might take a full week-10 days. 

That sounds like a really strong recommender that you want to have read! Obnoxious way for the schools to do things. If your SOP isn't already in, maybe you should list him first or second in writing regardless of the order you uploaded in? Otherwise, I'd contact the schools and tell them that this guy's letter is your top recommendation and you'd like it moved to the top of the heap. That way if they read fewer, they will be sure to read that one.

Edited by Usmivka

If your letters are strong and the school allows it, I think it's good to have all these letters and it shouldn't upset the adcom members. Submitting 5 letters but having 2 that are only mediocre could be viewed as a waste of the adcom's time, however, especially since you can't order the letters according to strength. The 5th letter does sound like a good addition, and if you think the other 4 all also deserve to be read by the adcom, I'd submit them all.

From what I've heard, it is better to submit a smaller number of very strong letters than a larger number where a letter may be mediocre. I also think that the three recommenders requirement is a bit of a test in self-editing: these schools want to see a composed version of how you present yourself, rather than a "well-rounded" or flimsy version. (After all, most people could probably come up with more than three letters if they wanted to.) Barring truly exceptional circumstances, it is best to follow the instructions for application. (Of course, if a school requires 3 letters but accepts more, then go for it.)

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely!! But only if they are all strong!

I would also recommend additional letters that speak to your varying strenghts. You don't want letters that all say the same thing.

I suggest 3 letters from profs you've had at least one course with and can speak to your academic abilities. AT LEAST 2 of these NEED to be in your proposed field.

The other two should speak to some other aspect. Ask them to emphasize research or teaching that they are familiar with. Perhaps a strong professional letter.

As long as they are solid letters. Many people have a hard time finding 3 LORs, let alone 3 strong ones. Just the fact that you acquired 5 strong letters will speak volumes.

Edited by uromastyx

I sent in 5 recommendations as well. My three mains were all submitted directly to the schools via the internet or via mailing from the recommenders. 

The other two I included in a packet with my transcripts, test scores, etc. and noted them as *supplemental* in my cover letter. I threw a small tidbit regarding who the letter came from and what it entails. 

I'm not a part of an adcomm, but I'd assume that the note of them as supplemental would be clear enough to let them decide whether or not they want to read the extra letters. 

Absolutely!! But only if they are all strong!

I would also recommend additional letters that speak to your varying strenghts. You don't want letters that all say the same thing.

I suggest 3 letters from profs you've had at least one course with and can speak to your academic abilities. AT LEAST 2 of these NEED to be in your proposed field.

The other two should speak to some other aspect. Ask them to emphasize research or teaching that they are familiar with. Perhaps a strong professional letter.

As long as they are solid letters. Many people have a hard time finding 3 LORs, let alone 3 strong ones. Just the fact that you acquired 5 strong letters will speak volumes.

In my proposed field? I mentioned that I can't take petroleum engineering/engineering courses here in NYC because the school is too far. So I'm majoring in Math, so my recommendations will all come from Math professors except the one about my advisor who  was my mentor and French Literature professor.

Also, thing is, my professors take days/weeks to reply to my emails. When I call their offices, they don't pick up. So I have to assume they mailed their recommendations on time, or else..

Edited by Hanyuye

I think it depends on department. There were some departments I applied to which said "We require 2 recommendations and will only read the first 2 you submit" and there were some that said "We require a minimum of 3, but recommend you submit more if you feel they help your application". If you can't find something like that on the departments or graduate schools website, shoot an email to the grad secretary and ask which the prefer.

I think it depends on department. There were some departments I applied to which said "We require 2 recommendations and will only read the first 2 you submit" and there were some that said "We require a minimum of 3, but recommend you submit more if you feel they help your application". If you can't find something like that on the departments or graduate schools website, shoot an email to the grad secretary and ask which the prefer.

All of them said a minimum of 3 letters. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm gonna jump in this with a related question: my main school asked for 2 letters. I emailed both professors I chose. One did not email me back for about 3 weeks, so I asked my backup. Unfortunately, the backup said yes as finally did the original professor. Should I use all 3 letters or should I inform one of them that I do not need the letter? I feel bad doing this because he seemed genuinely excited to help but at the same time I know it might be necessary. 

I'm gonna jump in this with a related question: my main school asked for 2 letters. I emailed both professors I chose. One did not email me back for about 3 weeks, so I asked my backup. Unfortunately, the backup said yes as finally did the original professor. Should I use all 3 letters or should I inform one of them that I do not need the letter? I feel bad doing this because he seemed genuinely excited to help but at the same time I know it might be necessary. 

Ask the school if they will accept a third letter. Decide based on their reply.