SSRC/IDRF (Int'l Dissertation Research Fellowship) 2013 Applicants

mbs191

I actually emailed SSRC / IRDF (I had their email because I had some issues submitting with the Hurricane Sandy issues - but everything got in ok/on time) this past Friday.  I emailed early in the morning and said that some colleagues had heard, and if we should take not hearing as a sign of not moving on to the next round?

They didn't respond........

I feel like 2 people in the entire forum heard (hmmm?) so my gut is telling me there may be more notifications coming?  Hmmmm, I keep refreshing too, but alas, a watched-topic never boils  :ph34r:

Maybe I should distract myself.........

It might be that people who have got the requests are not on grad cafe anymore, so they do not respond. If you are here and got the requests on Fri or today, could you let us know?

Hey guys, so imagine my heart-rate as I checked my email (after not having checked it for 8 minutes) and there was an email from IDRF!!!  After I picked myself off the floor and managed to click on it, it was a response to the Friday email (see above post).

Anyway, the person responding was very nice and said that the "review and notification processes are still ongoing at this time." 

So, looks like they definitely haven't notified everyone at this point.........so we still have a shot!   :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

I think its time to go to the gym to work off the adrenaline rush.......

I know, it's like. OK. so ill pass my exams in March. Defend my proposal. Get IRB approval. And thennnnnnn if i dont get any funding. Sit here for another year and *hope to get money next year? its so crazy

Lol omg anthro I love you. You hit the nail on the head. I wrote my major comp in sept, minor in October, got IRB approval last week, defending in a month. And if I'm left w no money after applying to 5 major grants I'm left w humble pockets of internal money.

What are the other 4? I can think of maximum 2.

In my field, other common national grants include Fulbright IIE, Fulbright-Hays, IREX, American Councils, Boren, and Mellon.

Hum, interesting! I thought they closed Fulbright Hayes, did not they? And what is Fulbright IIE? Mellon is specifically for archival work - right? IREX, BOREN and American Councils are for citizens only?

The Hays was out last year but the DOE is promising to bring it back this Spring, and it should be available for research abroad in late 2013-2014. The IIE is the regular Fulbright. And, yes, the rest of them are only available to US citizens. All my work takes place in foreign archives. 

Actually, there was a Hays competition last year; it opened in May and the deadline was mid-June, if I remember correctly, for awards starting in October, at the earliest.  If they do it the same way this year, I would start looking for info in April.  

Actually, there was a Hays competition last year; it opened in May and the deadline was mid-June, if I remember correctly, for awards starting in October, at the earliest.  If they do it the same way this year, I would start looking for info in April.  

Right, but if I understand correctly, last year's "Hays" was actually funded by the Mellon Foundation, rather than the DOE. That, at least, is what two of my colleagues who received it last year told me. 

Right, but if I understand correctly, last year's "Hays" was actually funded by the Mellon Foundation, rather than the DOE. That, at least, is what two of my colleagues who received it last year told me. 

That was 2011/2012, when F-Hays was cancelled.  2012/2013 was funded through the Dept. of Education and was a rushed process.  The application used to be released in the fall, like Fulbright IIE, until funding got cancelled in 11/12.  Then 12/13 was this rushed one month process (I only know because I submitted an application and had some contact with people at F-Hays).

Anyway, what happens this year is up in the air still, but, since there wasn't a fall announcement, I think it's safe to say it will be in the spring again.  Or they just won't have one and they'll start again in fall 2013.

So either your colleagues are confused, or they're referring to the previous year's awards.

That was 2011/2012, when F-Hays was cancelled.  2012/2013 was funded through the Dept. of Education and was a rushed process.  The application used to be released in the fall, like Fulbright IIE, until funding got cancelled in 11/12.  Then 12/13 was this rushed one month process (I only know because I submitted an application and had some contact with people at F-Hays).

Anyway, what happens this year is up in the air still, but, since there wasn't a fall announcement, I think it's safe to say it will be in the spring again.  Or they just won't have one and they'll start again in fall 2013.

So either your colleagues are confused, or they're referring to the previous year's awards.

You're right, I was thinking of the previous year. I emailed the DDRA people a few months ago and they confirmed that it'll be announced in the spring, so best of luck to everyone.