SSRC/IDRF (Int'l Dissertation Research Fellowship) 2013 Applicants

mbs191

Good morning y'all!  Has anyone heard anything from the Social Science Research Council about the IDRFellowship?  I think they said by early February they'd start asking for transcripts from select applicants.....just seeing if anyone has heard a peep?

Did u guys apply directly to SSRC or through ur university. I applied directly. I didn't even know applying through your university was an option. So weird. I mean Fulbright and NSF requires u to go through ur school. How can some schools have different rules for SSRC. I saw in last year's thread that those who applies through their schools began hearing back about getting passed on to SSRC this month.

So i saw on their website that we should be receiving some kind of (first round?) notification in feb:

When will award announcements be made?

Incomplete and ineligible applicants will be informed of their status by December 2012. All other applicants will be contacted by the program, via email or USPS, about their status in February 2013. Fellows will be notified by May 2013.

Eeek!

Hmmmm I can't seem to find a number, probably bc it's more about how much money they give out and not the number of awardees, since different amts are granted to diff people. Let me know if u find anything tho! What regions are u guys? I'm South Asia (India)

Hmmmm I can't seem to find a number, probably bc it's more about how much money they give out and not the number of awardees, since different amts are granted to diff people. Let me know if u find anything tho! What regions are u guys? I'm South Asia (India)

I could be totally wrong, but I think I remember reading something along the lines of 78 or 80 awards?  I could totally be remembering that wrong too.  I'm not too too far away, in the South Pacific area.....

Based on last year's forum, transcript requests (meaning you've made it to the second round) will be sent out via email either at the end of this week (Thursday-Friday) or next week. Then rejections are sent out through USPS.

There might be a significant delay due to Hurricane Sandy that hit the east coast US at the time applications were due. They had extended the student deadline by a few days, and then the recommendations letters first by a few days, and then by a couple of weeks (computers down). Maybe they are working really hard to stay on schedule, but I wouldn't be surprised if no one hears back before the end of Feb!

Just got a transcript request this afternoon (1/31) at about 2 pm EST. Not sure if they send them out all at once or what, but thought I'd share that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the SSRC doesn't actually make final decisions about awards until late spring, right? So a transcript request doesn't really mean anything, just that you're still in the hunt (just trying to downplay expectations).

Whoa!  Awesome Living_in_paradise :) !  I didn't think they'd send notifications out this early.  No email here :unsure:  but from past threads it looks like they sometimes come out over a few days.

Best of luck to ya! :D

Whoa!  Awesome Living_in_paradise :) !  I didn't think they'd send notifications out this early.  No email here :unsure:  but from past threads it looks like they sometimes come out over a few days.

Best of luck to ya! :D

Yep based on last year's thread, there were transcript requests 3-4 days after the initial batch of requests.  Congrats to those with transcript requests!

So,......for those who didn't hear yesterday (Thursday), if we don't hear today that most likely means we were eliminated in the first round, I presume. They wouldn't be sending out more transcript requests next Monday, right?

So,......for those who didn't hear yesterday (Thursday), if we don't hear today that most likely means we were eliminated in the first round, I presume. They wouldn't be sending out more transcript requests next Monday, right?

No, transcript requests went out 3-4 days later both last year and the year before last, which means Monday is a possibility.  If you don't get one by Tuesday, things will probably be looking grim :/

For those of you who already heard, I'm curious, did you get your application in by Nov. 7th, or did you have delays because of the storm? I wonder if they are notifying in batches based on when all of the application components were in?

I'm not sure this makes a difference because the decisions are all done by committee, and committees would wait to make a decision at one time, after all applications are evaluated.  If batches go out at different times, it's likely because of internal bureaucracy.

I got my application in about 15 mins before the final (extended) deadline, so I don't think that's the issue. But they might very well be sending out transcript requests in batches or waves for some other reason.

I'm not sure if this is at all accurate, but my understanding is that they do an initial review, cull about half of the applications, and then send the remainder on to the final round of reviews in April. I'm not sure if everyone who made the initial cut gets a transcript request though. Anyone have a better idea of how this works?