Any reason a school would do everything but say you are accepted?

gradorbust

So I have gone through the interviews.

In the first one they said that they wanted to nominate me for a fellowship, and to do so they needed to accept me before they could do anything towards the next step.  Invited to attend the recruitment weekend, however I would be one of the few already accepted there.  After approval from the rest of the staff they said that they were going to have me try for a fellowship that required that I was offered admission before they could even apply.  The deadline for the fellowship is in the next two weeks, however they still seem insistant on not letting me know officially until well after the deadline. 

This is my most likely my first choice school with a slim possibility it is my second so naturally it is nervewracking(as I want to start looking at housing before the damn locals get their hands on it)

Any insights?

Edited by gradorbust

I'm kind of in the same boat here but I would say that you should be cautiously optimistic. I think that they wouldn't have you jump through the hoops of the fellowship if there wasn't interest in you as an applicant. So on that note, congrats!