Skype vs. Phone Interview

Welcome to GradCafe!

I'm a Fall 2013 applicant, so I have never had a conversation with a POI by phone or by Skype. However, I have used both for job interviews. 

The advantages of the phone include not stressing what you are wearing (although, dressing up can mentally make you feel prepped!). However, the conversation can be awkward, such as when there are pauses during the conversation and you and your POI speak at the same time.

The benefits of Skype are seeing each other, where you both will be able to tell visually when to speak and when to listen. Also, you will also have the chance on Skype to pick up on non-verbal cues from your POI, which can indicate interest, e.g. nodding, smiling.

If you decide to go forward with Skype, I recommend trying it out someone else first, to see how it works, and to practice responding to the questions looking into the webcam (rather than looking at the interviewer or down). You'll look on the screen like you are looking straight ahead at the other person. Also, fiddle around and place your computer so that the background behind you is appropriate for the conversation.

Good luck!

I agree with ArtHistoryandMuseum - the phone can be awkward! I've had conversations with POIs both over the phone and with Skype and I prefer Skype. The best things about Skype are that you can see when the POI is taking notes (which makes it much easier to know when to pause) and what his/her reaction is to what you've said. Also, my kitty came to visit during our Skype chat and it gave us something to joke about and eased the tension. 

Good luck with your interview, whichever you choose!

I had the same dilemma, and I chose Skype because I'm applying to Psych and have a ton of counselling experience - basically, I feel that my body language and communication skills are a strong point and I would like to use them to my advantage. Initially, I thought I should go with phone (I hate important phonecalls) because I could have my notes in front of me :P. But I'd rather just be myself and be able to see the people I am talking to and observe their body language, as ArtHistory said.

Also, in my experience interviewing others over the phone it can be quite an annoying experience as part of a panel. Furthermore, never underestimate the power of a smile!

I agree with all of these posts. Skype would definitely be my first choice. Like ArtHistoryAndMuseum, I'm a fall 2013 applicant, but I have used Skype for tons of job interviews and have never had a problem.

Make sure you set up before hand and test it out on a friend, as was suggested above. Also, definitely check your internet connection and maybe consider plugging in to ethernet just in case your wifi goes out for some reason. 

Overall I think Skype is better at simulating a real, in-person interview than a phone call. Good luck, you'll do great!