Do you need to take full-course load each semester?

shannonista

I'm still in an undergraduate program(Pharmacology) and I'm looking to apply for 2010 year. I've always taken full-course load but I'm having a real difficulty concentrating in one of my elective courses. Would not taking a full-course load in a semester have negative impact in the admission decision? Additionally, would an industrial work experience(in a pharmaceutical company) be an asset (even if it is not a bench-work experience)? Thanks in advance.

Not really an issue as far as I see it. I could be wrong; but it's not a disaster if you take a lighter load for a semester. If you take an academic semester off, however, you'll want to address that kind of stuff in your statement of purpose/letter of intent.

As far as I know, you don't need to take a full course load each semester. I've overloaded to the max number of courses possible each semester since sophomore year, so I'm not speaking from experience. I can't see why it would be an issue, though. Just my two bits...

I don't think it'll hurt. If you're concerned though, you can always address this in your personal statement/statement of purpose. Industrial work experience could be an asset if you can explain that the experience helped you better realize what you actually want (i.e., helped you realize your actual passion for research/grad school).