Top Choice?

psychgrad123

This is my second year applying. Last time I applied to 9 schools, and I received one interview (from my last choice), and 9 rejections. This year I understood better what I wanted to research, and added many accomplishments to my CV, as well as earned a strong LOR from someone noteworthy in the field (not to mention that this time around I sent emails to POIs at 9 of those schools, both asking whether they are taking students, as well as demonstrating a knowledge of their research). However because of my fear for rejection I still applied to 10 schools. So far I have three official interviews, plus a probable two unofficial ones, and I believe I have a good chance of hearing back from at least 2 or 3 more schools. Of all the schools I applied to three are my top schools, and to date I have an interview offer from one of them (plus one that isn't one of my top three is still an institution that I would be 100% happy to attend. I also don't think that the other two programs have sent out invites yet), so I am pretty thrilled :) . Since I really like so many of the institutions I think that when I actually visit and meet people I may even change my mind about where I want to go. All in all what a difference a year can make!

EastCoasting, Congrats!!! And thank you for sharing your story, it's encouraging to hear of 2nd year applicant successes!

Thanks! (But let us wait till I actually have an offer ;) ). It was hard and I doubted myself, but I knew I wanted this and I could make it happen. Thankfully, luckily, and with a lot of hard work it did. Being the last kid picked for the dodge-ball team was no fun.

I applied to 5 schools, two of which were top choices, and I've been accepted to one of them! My advisor told me, basically, go big or go home, as I have specific interests and only a few people do that research. I'm glad I listened! If I didn't hear back from anyone, my plan was to take another year to strengthen my application and network, and then apply again. Good luck!

I have three top choices and an interview at one of them. I applied to 11 programs and have 2 invitations to interview weekends. I haven't heard from any of the other 9 programs, but I've seen phone interviews and/or invitations to a couple of them, so those might be implicit rejections. Congrats EastCoasting and good luck to everyone! 

I applied to 10 schools for this application cycle.  I never really thought about having a top choice when I applied, I would be honored to get in every program I applied to, but there are definitely three schools I would like to go to more than the others, and luckily I scored an interview for one of them!  They are one of the top schools in Developmental Psych so I was really pleasantly surprised and I am now super nervous for the interview coming up in less than a week!  

Congrats on your interview EastCoasting, a year really does make a difference!  Good luck to everyone on your apps! *spreads good vibes all around*

I have two top choices out of four total applications, and so far I have an interview scheduled for one of the top choice schools. So I'm really happy about that.  :)  The other school hasn't reviewed applications yet. I figure that if I don't get in this time, I will - like many others - strengthen my application and try again next year. I don't see where it's worth hanging around a school you don't like for five years of your life!

I am a second year applicant as well.  I was only waitlisted at one school last year and rejected all around.  This year so far I have one interview and one unofficial acceptance.  The acceptance is at my top choice as well.  I've made connections with the POIs I've gotten interview/acceptance from, and I think that really made the difference.  They knew me at a more personal level and that along with my improved experience through this gap year, I think is what got me to where I am.  And luck. A lot of luck. I applied to 9 programs.

So far, I got interviews at my 3 top choices (out of the 7 I applied to) :) and I got invited to 2 campus visits at my top 2, but the visits are on the same day!!! So, I am kinda freaking out with the decision at the current moment.