How open should I be in my Counseling program?

Rebecca0707

I just started my MA in counseling 3 weeks ago. I have heard different things about programs. I have dealt with MANY issues in my life, even today, and I'm afraid of sharing too much or revealing too much about myself for fear of not being able to conitinue in the program. I know I have what it takes, but I do have some personal things I need to keep working on. What should I expect as far as work and the type of work in a counseling program? How do I know what to share/what not to share?

This is a classic example of a applications and interviews. Now you've already started, so it is very unlikely you will get kicked out post facto, but it is clear there is bias against your background. I can't tell you anything about "type of work" in your program, it seems like a quick search of the forums would be a good source of info, particularly the social work one. But as far as sharing goes, I don't think you should lie, but there is no reason to bring up your issues in any professional context within your program--it can't help you and could hurt you.

Edited by Usmivka

To be honest, I would be pretty selective about who you share this information with.  Academics can be pretty gossipy, and grad school is already lonely and isolating enough.  I would give it some time and see if there are people you can trust in your program, but I wouldn't put this information on blast, by any means, personally.  I've also had some tough things happen to me, and I've noticed that in the past, when I divulge this information, people tend to treat me differently.  In my current program, maybe two people know about it, and I intend to keep it that way.  It's less complicated this way and frankly, these people are your co-workers, not your friends; treat them as such.  I'm not sure if you were referring to like, your program in general, or in an actual counseling situation, so sorry if my answer doesn't make sense. ;)

Edited by BytheHammerofThor

• 2 weeks later...

I too am faced with this same dilemma.  I feel that counseling is a bit different than any other program, because the events that happened to us really shaped who we are today and what type of counselors we will become.  I think share as you see fit.  When I interviewed, almost every single candidate had some major event, either childhood abuse, rape, past addictions, etc that lead them to the counseling field.  If you feel uncomfortable, don't share.  But take comfort in knowing that there may be other people in the program who have gone through something similar.

I understand the OP's situation as my SO experienced the same issue in her counseling program. In her case, it was hard to hide her past as it was her research area. I understand this is the case with the majority of folks in the discipline. I can't say for sure joe many people knew her past but there was one very helpful and quite famous mentor of hers who shared a similar past and really helped her thru her graduate career.

I would suggest getting to know your mentor and advisors better before you talk about deep personal issues. Grad school is awesome in that, in a lot of cases, friendships with faculty kind of just happen without even trying. You will definitely find the people you need and they will facilitate your growth and progress both as a person and a professional. Best of luck.

It also depends a lot on your program.  Some programs have a very grassroots, social justice, organic personality to them that welcomes the background experiences and social positions of their students, faculty and researchers as important parts of their drive and their work.  My department is like that, so someone sharing that - for instance - they were raped as a child and that drives their research on the long-term effects of sexual assault on children, or that they were a sex worker before and so they are interested in the mental health of sex workers - that wouldn't elicit much if any negativity.

But for other programs, this would be a taboo thing because those programs believe that you're supposed to have a dispassionate connection to your research.  My secondary department is more like this.  So there are some things that people in my primary cohort and department know about me that I would not share in my secondary cohort and department.

Mental illness, however, is always a tricky problem even in the "organic" departments I described before.  That's because of stigma; you don't want people wondering if you're going to drop out or drop the ball because of a history or current mental illness.  That's unfair, and discriminatory, but it's the reality of the situation as of right now, so you may want to be more careful about disclosing mental health status.  (This is also true of many chronic physical health issues and disabilities.)

• 2 weeks later...

I have an MA in Clinical/Counseling Psych and the expectation was you were to share and disclose as needed IF supervisors or professors felt it was beneficial to your professional development. Obviously you don't want to spill all the beans when applying and you don't want to seem unfit for a professional career. But there will be opportunties in your program to privately self disclose.