UConn Acceptance?

sparkle456

Congrats! I've been waiting to hear. Are you willing to share more info?

Thanks!!

Hey Sparkle. I was the one who posted the UConn acceptance. In my haste, I mistakenly wrote that UConn was offering 5 years of funding. After re-reading the letter, it seems like they are only willing to offer me guaranteed funding for my first year. I am not sure and will have to e-mail them about that. Anyway, it came via e-mail on the the 5th. They mentioned that they had students on a wait list so they'd appreciate a quick response. Hope that helps.

Thanks for posting, I was so curious!!

You were accepted to the U of MN too?! Ahh, that was my first rejection. Congrats! Do you know where you'll go? Looks like you have a lot of good options. Yeah, I was afraid that U Conn would not be able to guarantee funding for more than one year at a time.

Hmm...it's so bizarre b/c I emailed the program coordinator on Thursday (the 5th) and asked whether the email we received asking if we were still interested went to everyone and whether I was still in the running and she wrote:

"We did email all of our applicants and will hopefully know something shortly."

Weird. I wish she would have just told me something, you know?

Well...I'd love to hear what you find out and I wish you the best with your choices!!

• 2 weeks later...

You were accepted to the U of MN too?! Ahh, that was my first rejection. Congrats! Do you know where you'll go? Looks like you have a lot of good options. Yeah, I was afraid that U Conn would not be able to guarantee funding for more than one year at a time.

Hmm...it's so bizarre b/c I emailed the program coordinator on Thursday (the 5th) and asked whether the email we received asking if we were still interested went to everyone and whether I was still in the running and she wrote:

Well...I'd love to hear what you find out and I wish you the best with your choices!!

I declined admission today so hopefully it opens up a slot for someone on the wait list. Maybe it'll be you!

Sparkle,

Were you ever notified definively regarding your status at UConn or have you still not heard anything?

Hi!

I'm just curious what questions were asked, etc. Are you excited about UConn?!

Thanks!

Questions were about "whether still interested in our program", confirming my academic interests, what is my status exactly now (I am international student pursuing master's degree at a mountain west school and it is almost finished), what is my plan about PhD and dissertation, and something like that. I could not listen to his words very well because I was driving to market during the phone call, but the committee might make decision soon. As I heard, they ranked and classified applicants and were making confirmation in the order from the top list.

If there's anyone still on the fence about UConn, get off! I just returned from a two day visit to the department and it was incredible!!! The grad students, the faculty, the funding, the program as a whole it's all almost too incredible to believe. I can't wait for the fall to be a UConn sociology graduate student.

• 4 months later...

Don't worry, UConn has a very poor and disorganized sociology grad program. Chances are you will have a very difficult time finding a job in academia coming from this program. They lie to you and make all kinds of promises but in the end they screw you over pretty badly. They don't care much about the grad students and they play favorites (meaning some of you will have a tougher workload than others). I would avoid this grad program based on personal experience. The only pros are decent wages and health insurance, but all that is a pen-swipe away from being non-existent now with budget issues.