iPad App for Survey Data Collection?

robot_hamster

I will need to collect survey data in the field. I have been looking at iPad apps, but there are so many out there. Has anyone done surveys with an iPad? What app worked well for you?

I need:

Offline data collection capability

Scaled responses, as well as multiple choice

The ability to sign (consent) would be really helpful

Do these apps allow you to later upload the data to a spreadsheet?

Thanks!

The first thing that comes to mind that you might try is Bento 4.

It's the iPad version of the Bento 4 database app for Mac, and you should be able to configure it for what you need.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/45531/ipad-app-for-collecting-door-to-door-survey-information

Is a similar question, seems like other people have tried it and it works. You *can* set up forms on the iPad (I've done it for biological sample management databases), but it's much easier to set up the form on your Mac, and use the iPad to collect the data.

You can add almost any type of field to the form, so you should be able to do multiple choice, scales and a signature spot, but I haven't tried those, exactly. And it definitely can upload the data for analysis (database program). 

For the first 3 options, but not the spreadsheet upload, you should be able to use Adobe Pro to make a PDF form, and then use something like GoodReader to get people to fill it in.

Okay, nevermind. I tried one more time to get my iTunes to update on my computer. I couldn't update my iPad because my stupid computer wouldn't update the iTunes software. I tried it again and it seems to be working so..

What about this Quick Tap Survey app? It lets you do some stuff for free and a basic upgrade would only be $19/mo per device (I only have one). Has anyone used it before? Or does anyone else have any suggestions for apps?

Wait, why can't you use Bento? I got my copy for $4.99, and there was no monthly fee attached. 

I've got it on my iPad 1, and it runs fine. 

You should be able to update the iPad without updating iTunes, you can update it over wireless from iOS 5 on. 

Mine was version 4.something. I couldn't update it. I finally got the stupid iTunes to update today. I had made several attempts before and it would freak my computer out and fail. Everything looks good now, I have the latest version for my iPad running.

Okay, so you can use the Bento without having a Mac? I would probably need to upload the data to Excel or something. Unless my adviser wants to buy me some expensive software to analyze the data with. I am basically doing this on a zero budget. I think some of the computers at school have SPSS or similar on them. You have to be allowed access to those labs though. They are for specific students.

Edited by robot_hamster

Okay, so how do you use Bento to create a survey? I was planning on approaching people and then letting them use the iPad to complete the survey. The questions will be mostly multiple choice and scale. I was looking up the Bento app and I'm not understanding how you would use it to create a survey.

It's been a while since I've used it, but you would make it as a form. 

You should be able to do scales as pull down menu's with values, blanks for short answers, and multiple choices as well. 

Once you make the form, you can use it as a template for each person you want to give the survey to. 

I've used QuickTapSurvey and the free version worked really well.  I had to upgrade to the Advanced plan though because I had to brand the survey for my project and I needed to use branching.  Overall we've used it to collect a lot of data so I would say its worth it.

I've used QuickTapSurvey and the free version worked really well.  I had to upgrade to the Advanced plan though because I had to brand the survey for my project and I needed to use branching.  Overall we've used it to collect a lot of data so I would say its worth it.

The free version worked well? I was wondering what it meant by 1 survey. Is that 1 survey, period. If I tried the free version I was thinking to making a fake survey just to see how the data is presented. But if you're only allowed one survey and only one survey...

Edited by robot_hamster