what can I do about the rejection?

xzjohn

Just checked out the application website and found the rejection posted there a couple of hours ago. Can't believe the guys worked around 1AM.

I know this would be the final decision. But, still, I'm wondering if you guys can give me some suggestions about "flipping" it.

I applied last year, to the same program, and got rejected. I thought that was because I didn't network w/ the professor and so I tried my best this year. Talked w/ a professor and even discussed possible project after joining his lab. Now, I got a rejection. Can I turn to him for any help?

I really want to join his lab. It sucks, really.

Thanks guys, and hope you'll make into your dream program.

Okay, first off, I should mention that it just doesn't happen. Pretty much if you don't already know what you'd do to flip it it's not going to flip. They made their decision for a reason and you telling them you really want to go just won't cut it.

That said, the two instances where I've heard of it happening:

1) Applicant X has a very close relationship with well-known professor Y at his home institution and Y makes a phone call on behalf of X and says basically "hey didn't you read what I had to say about X in my letter of rec? Are you guys dumb? I told you this guy is great, he's awesome, you should take him and I'll stake my reputation on it."

2) Applicant X has a very close relationship with professor Y at the institution he was planning on attending. Y totally meant to get X in and something went wrong with the paperwork or Y forgot to tell the adcom he wanted X by the deadline. He calls up the adcom and says "Oh yeah I forgot to mention I really want to work with X and I'm going to fund him."

Usually even having both of these things won't flip a rejection. Just the only time I've ever heard of rejections flipping at all was because of one of these two cases. Basically there's nothing you can do, the only possible person who could flip this for you is a prof willing to stake their reputation on you. In all of the cases I've heard the only thing the applicant ever had to do was mention to the professor that they got rejected and then the prof went ahead and got on the phone. No questions, no prompting, no requests. The prof just went and did it.

If someone doesn't instantly come to mind then I'm sorry, but there's likely nothing you can do and you should accept your rejection letter with pride.

If your desperate if theres a prof at your home institution who could make a call on your behalf that might do something, or if you applied for a Phd with funding you could try asking them about the masters program-usually easier to get admitted to- but not all masters programs have the same funding as Phd.

Thank you, guys, for your points. I gave up. I just sent an e-mail to the professor, saying I appreciate his previous support and interest and wish him good luck w/ his funding application.

I'm not gonna apply for any PhD programs in the future, and like someone said in this forum, probably this is a good chance for me to seriously think about if academia is the right place for me, or rather, I'm the right guy for academia.

Wish you best of luck! Hope you'll make a difference.

Just checked out the application website and found the rejection posted there a couple of hours ago. Can't believe the guys worked around 1AM.

I know this would be the final decision. But, still, I'm wondering if you guys can give me some suggestions about "flipping" it.

I applied last year, to the same program, and got rejected. I thought that was because I didn't network w/ the professor and so I tried my best this year. Talked w/ a professor and even discussed possible project after joining his lab. Now, I got a rejection. Can I turn to him for any help?

I really want to join his lab. It sucks, really.

Thanks guys, and hope you'll make into your dream program.

I'm just an applicant as well, but if I were in your situation I think I might talk to a professor from my undergraduate institution whom I trusted and who knew my work (maybe one of the people who wrote you a recommendation?) and without asking directly about how to "flip" the situation maybe just pry for a bit of advice or insight into why this might have happened. I think ideally this would be best done either over the phone or in person because I think there is a lot more room for misinterpretation communicating via e-mail. Also I think taking the initiative to talk to him/her in person or over the phone would show that this is really important to you. I'd say something along the lines of "I was really hoping to be admitted to (whereever) and was a bit surprised that I was rejected again. I had strengthened my application through X,Y, and Z. I was wondering if you might be able to give me some insight into what I might be doing wrong/ what the best next step would be given my current situation?"

That's just my instinct. I'm as clueless and mystified by this whole process as anyone else. You have my sympathy...

Thank you, guys, for your points. I gave up. I just sent an e-mail to the professor, saying I appreciate his previous support and interest and wish him good luck w/ his funding application.

Flip or no flip, this is a nice idea. I hope it brings you good karma. =)

I'm not gonna apply for any PhD programs in the future, and like someone said in this forum, probably this is a good chance for me to seriously think about if academia is the right place for me, or rather, I'm the right guy for academia.

There are all sort of stories about people that took detours in their academic path. (Even Einstein couldn't get into grad school for a long time.) Don't let rejection from faceless admin committees weigh in your decision if academia is the right place for you or not. Listen to yourself and to profs who have gotten to know you very well.

probably this is a good chance for me to seriously think about if academia is the right place for me, or rather, I'm the right guy for academia.

If the option is between giving up on academia and checking with the admissions committee, then I take my earlier comment back. Go ahead and initiate a conversation. In that case you have nothing to lose. Best of luck and hope everything works out for you.

Thanks for you guys.

Actually, I'm in the middle of my PhD program and tried to transfer to the one I applied for both research and family reasons. What got on my nerves was not the fact I got rejected but I lost the game to fresh undergrads (no offense). I have to admit my undergrad GPA stinks, but after joining my graduate program nearly 3 years ago, I've been working really hard, and have published several peer-reviewed journal articles and presented my research in many international conferences. Well, I may not be good at coursework, but I really don't think the purpose of PhD training is to get a 4.0 graduate GPA. I was quite confident I'll get admitted because of the perfect match between my background and the professor's new project and my publication record.

The professor replied my e-mail in an hour, saying he was sorry and the department decreased positions available because of economical crisis out there. But I kinda feel that he had got his funding but took another applicant rather than me. Usually the decision should come out around late Jan., and I believe he put my appl. on hold till a few days ago 'coz he was waiting for other applicants' decision.

I think he, and the adcom, has a good reason to choose that applicant over me. Maybe they believe that guy has greater potential in research than me. Now, I totally have no idea about the evaluation criteria in academia. This is the exact point that discourages me to pursue an academic career. I don't think I can beat a guy who possesses huge "potential". How can I challenge an ungrounded point?

I used to supervise REU undergrad in my lab, lost of them are pre-meds, and some from Ivy League. Some of them are very smart and I believe they will be promising in academia, even though they don't have any publications or other hard evidence at the moment. But, who can guarantee that? If I were the PI, I would be sorta conservative when selecting grad or other employees, relying on the evidence that has already been manifested, because I'm totally aware of the consequence and damage to your career if your boys can't produce good publications and help you get funding. In the past few year, I've seen many tenured professors went out of business in their forties because their research aren't good enough to make into the top 10% of all NIH scored grant applications. It's harsh to say they're miserable but I'm afraid that's the truth. Over 20 years of career endeavor collapsed overnight.

With all these tragedies flying over the academia, if the department still prefers newbies, I can't figure out how I should survive in academia.