Hard time making choices..help?

flyinglion

Two Universities, both admitted with full funding, so money is not a concern..

Academic/mutual interest:

Univ A:

highly reputation in my major; big and strong program; not closely linked to my past work, but the way they evaluate a problem makes me feel cogenial; flexible, encourage student to have several co-advisors; more coursework.

Univ B:

also highly reputation, but not as high as A; small program with huge amount of research grant, people there very productive; more closely linked to my past work, the part of work I am interested in is the part where the potential advisors want add an student, so I could start doing research very early; very few coursework; encourage student to collaborate with different faculty members.

Advisor:

Univ A:

Very kind. A senior one. everyone I talked to saying good words for him. Very understanding, considerate, and he also likes my country and can speak my language(I am international student), will come to my country (and meet me) before 4.15. Only prob is that our interests are only partially overlapped.

Univ B:

Also very kind. Very smart and not pushy, very considerate. Young prof and I am sure he wont leave this univ in at least 5yrs. Very productive, and his work is great! interest not 100% match, but I've read his research grant and found lots of very exciting things in it.

Social life:

Univ A:

One of my old friend is there; one of my good friend is going there... Wonderful place to dance. Convient for life. Safe.

Univ B:

City not safe, but around campus is OK. Don't know anyone there. Wonderful place to enjoy concerts and musics, performance. dont know if is convient for life, guess would be ok...

Any advises? thanks!

It looks like you have two very solid choices. Having lived in many 'unsafe' cities I can say that at this point I would pick the smaller, safer, quieter place. It seems like a bonus to work with an advisor that speaks your language and is willing to meet you before. Also, having friends attending the same school can make the experience feel a lot less isolating - at least at the beginning. As far as research interests go sometimes working with someone whose research isn't a perfect match can be really helpful in opening up new ideas or topics. Good luck with the deciding process. I'm sure you can't go wrong with either place.