University of Chicago SSA - anyone here back yet?

mstea

Finally got in!!! I've been getting impatient as more and more people were posting acceptances, but last night it happened!

I love that the scholarship offer comes with the acceptance, it makes it a lot easier to get excited. Still have to weigh options, but very excited about the potential for SSA :)

CONGRATS!! Is it your first choice?

Hey mstea! Thanks!! SSA is right up there with Michigan, but I think Chicago is pulling ahead! I think I might try to visit before the Mar. 8 deadline. Any of you planning to visit?

Hi everyone!

I just received the email from SSA! I applied for the AM/PhD program and been rejected (no surprise...╮(╯_╰)╭).

However, they offer me an opportunity for the master program. Still an optimistic result~

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone heard back yet for the regular admissions deadline (1/15)? The website says we should hear by March 15th. I'm definitely getting antsy to find out!

Has anyone heard back yet for the regular admissions deadline (1/15)? The website says we should hear by March 15th. I'm definitely getting antsy to find out!

I haven't heard anything yet.  As of this morning, my online status still says, "Submitted".  I am thinking (and this is not fact based, at all) that there is a larger pool for the regular decision deadline and that it might be a bit more competitive, since some seats have already been filled with early decision applicants, so I won't be surprised if it takes until the 15th, or even maybe a day or two longer.  Good luck to you, though!!

• 2 weeks later...

I am on the wait list. When are responses due for regular decision candidates (January 15th deadline)? I know that U of C takes applications until April 1st but hopefully there aren't many late applicants. If you're not planning on attending U of C, please let them know soon so us wait listers have a chance. Thanks.

I am on the wait list. When are responses due for regular decision candidates (January 15th deadline)? I know that U of C takes applications until April 1st but hopefully there aren't many late applicants. If you're not planning on attending U of C, please let them know soon so us wait listers have a chance. Thanks.

My wait list letter said they would review wait listed candidates who have accepted their wait list position in mid-April.  I'm under the impression that they don't have a rank order wait list (i.e. - a candidate says no, the #1 person on the wait list gets an acceptance and so on).  Rather, they place everyone who has been wait listed in a "pile" and once they know how many remaining positions they have to fill, they review the wait listed applicants again and offer admission to the most qualified of that bunch.  I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I honestly wouldn't expect to hear anything until the end of April.

Also, from reading past posts on this forum, it sounds like wait-listed applicants aren't generally offered much funding (around $5,000) and it isn't anticipated to be increased in the second year, so just something else to consider if you're on the wait list and relying on significant funding.

Thanks for the information. Funding is definitely an issue but I'm hoping for a miracle! :) Do you know how many people are on the wait list and how many have typically been accepted off it in the past?

Thanks for the information. Funding is definitely an issue but I'm hoping for a miracle! :) Do you know how many people are on the wait list and how many have typically been accepted off it in the past?

I have no idea.  I'm almost wondering, just based off the wording in the letter I received, if everyone is placed on the wait list and formal rejections are issued after they make wait list selections in the spring.  Maybe someone who knows more about this could confirm or deny that?  Additionally, I don't know how many they take off the wait list.  I would say, given the prestige of the school and the high cost of tuition, probably 50% of those accepted don't accept their admission for various reasons, but that is strictly me guessing and there is no factual evidence that would support that guess.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone been accepted or denied off the UChicago waitlist? I'm so anxious for an answer, either way at this point so I can start planning my year. I'd prefer an acceptance of course. :)

Has anyone been accepted or denied off the UChicago waitlist? I'm so anxious for an answer, either way at this point so I can start planning my year. I'd prefer an acceptance of course. :)

I haven't heard anything, but I think the email I received when I accepted my wait list position said that they would review our applications again in mid-April.  I'm thinking they have an April 15th decision deadline, so I'm guessing sometime after that.  I don't honestly expect to hear anything until the very end of April, early May.