Pickering/ Rangel Fellowship 2013

myacu

• 2 weeks later...

PrattIAFF good to see that you applied again man. Good luck to everyone! i applied and interviewed last year but was living in the US but this go round I am finishing up my 1st master's in Budapest, Hungary. Only a week and some days and we'll get some Rangel news! Good luck all! :)

Hey Legally

PrattIAFF good to see that you applied again man. Good luck to everyone! i applied and interviewed last year but was living in the US but this go round I am finishing up my 1st master's in Budapest, Hungary. Only a week and some days and we'll get some Rangel news! Good luck all! :)

Hey man!!! are you going to Georgetown, I am planning to go to MSFS if selected Pickering. I am in Madrid working on a MBA at IE Business School . Great to see awesome profiles!!! =)

Edited by csalinas4123

Hey csalinas,

Yes, I am studying in the MAGES program in SFS at Georgetown.  I was deferred from last year to pursue a non-Western opinion graduate program here in Budapest and a research fellowship with UNHCR (Malta) and Helsinki Committee for Human Rights (Bosnia-Herzegovina).  Thanks it's all a surprise still....I applied for both Rangel/Pickering and we should find out latest this coming Wednesday, but my mind will be at ease.  I'm attending a conference at European Parliament in Brussels for the whole week next week so I will be occuppied and not stressing! I'm sure the weather in Madrid is so much better than in Budapest :(  (lol)!

I applied for them both last year when I was in Tanzania. Had to return to the US for the Rangel Interview and was able to interview via Skype for Pickering

I've just been notified that I'm a finalist for the Rangel fellowship.  Just to confirm, even if you are a finalist for Rangel, you can still be selected as a finalist for Pickering?  Obviously you can only select one but I was wondering if accepting an interview for one would exclude you from the other.  Thanks!

I was laptop-less using my iPad in a horrible WiFi connected hostel in Brussels all this week at European Parliament conference but I was selected as a finalist as well! :) 

myacu Yes! You will absolutely be fine! Won't hurt your chances doing the Rangel interview for Pickering. Rangel chooses first and communicates the 20 fellows they've selected to the Pickering staff prior to the Pickering interviews (at least in enough time) :)

I applied to both the Rangel and Pickering, and got the sad rejection email from Rangel earlier this week. I know the committee met the 25th, and I got my rejection email the morning of the 26th...if there were multiple rounds of decisions, I must have been an pretty uncompetitive candidate.  ) :

I was really upset by the rejection letter. I felt so confident that I'd at least be a finalist. But I know with the tough job market in gov, lots of people are going back to school and the competition is fierce. I had what I thought was a very very strong SOP and a letter or rec from a 3 star marine general...but I still got the generic rejection letter. 

Anyway, now I'm waiting on the Pickering decision. But I feel like if I wasn't even chosen as a finalist for Rangel, Pickering wouldn't see much more in my very similar application. 

Has anyone been snubbed by one and moved forward with the other?

DaniCM - The selection committee meets and aren't allowed to leave to go home until the 40 finalist are selected (this is for both Rangel and Pickering).  Yes, people have been rejected from Rangel (which always is the first to select finalist, interview, and select fellows) then move and get accepted as a finalist for Pickering.  It is a possibility so don't lose hope and best of luck! :)

I applied to both the Rangel and Pickering, and got the sad rejection email from Rangel earlier this week. I know the committee met the 25th, and I got my rejection email the morning of the 26th...if there were multiple rounds of decisions, I must have been an pretty uncompetitive candidate.  ) :

I was really upset by the rejection letter. I felt so confident that I'd at least be a finalist. But I know with the tough job market in gov, lots of people are going back to school and the competition is fierce. I had what I thought was a very very strong SOP and a letter or rec from a 3 star marine general...but I still got the generic rejection letter. 

Anyway, now I'm waiting on the Pickering decision. But I feel like if I wasn't even chosen as a finalist for Rangel, Pickering wouldn't see much more in my very similar application. 

Has anyone been snubbed by one and moved forward with the other?

Same here - recs from CFR VP and State Dept. senior. Tough year.

legallyproper, are you already a Rangel Fellow? Because I thought the fellowship was for those about to enter a masters program, and it seems like you're already in one.

Also, full ride at SFS?! Holy crap - people barely get anything from SFS (from what I've seen),

Edited by Epimetheus

Same here - recs from CFR VP and State Dept. senior. Tough year.

legallyproper, are you already a Rangel Fellow? Because I thought the fellowship was for those about to enter a masters program, and it seems like you're already in one.

Also, full ride at SFS?! Holy crap - people barely get anything from SFS (from what I've seen),

Epimetheus,

I am not currently a Rangel Fellow, however I was a 2011 Rangel Scholar (the undergraduate program).  I am pursuing a 1-year masters in Budapest, Hungary as a UNHCR/Helsinki Committee Policy Research Fellow.  I applied to graduate schools and got into a majority last year, but chose to defer my admission into Georgetown SFS specifically with the MAGES program.  To the contrary of what you are seeing Georgetown is one of the most generous in giving scholarships, fellowships, and stipends, etc. There are so many different MA programs in the School of Foreign Service and they are smaller.  For example, MAGES program is only about 45-50 students maximum and so the allocation of scholarships is usually at least 90% or above at least get a scholarship (amount are varying levels).  

PS: People with graduate degrees can apply for Rangel/Pickering because they are agreeing to pursue another 2-year graduate degree from a US granting institution. Thus, why I chose to get a 1-year, non-Western perspective on IR and European Studies in Europe and then to Georgetown for the 2-year masters :)

Good luck with the Pickering Fellowship :) Best of luck! 

Edited by legallyproper

Thanks legallyproper. Very interesting - I'm guessing that isn't the case for the MSFS program? Seems to be a larger and broader program.

Good luck to you too - I'm applying to WH summer internship as well. Fingers crossed..

The worst part is that MSFS alumni probably have the most weight in funding opportunities but I have no say so on how they are in funding as I didn't apply but know some people but they are Rangel or Pickering fellows so doesn't count :/ lol

I will just see what happens I already took on a summer position with a federal agency that pays cause I couldn't turn down with having no end in sight with WH....we shall see though. If I am wrong I am definitely going to work it out to do WH though *sigh*

Yes good to be back, although I'm not as glued to gradcafe as I was last year... My interview for Rangel is on Monday. Good luck everyone!

Anyone else get the email about additional information required? Skype/email/picture by March 15th.

I got it today and sent them the information. I think it's a good sign that they selected the finalists, otherwise why would they want that information from ppl they didnt choose? 

I didn't receive this email. I'm rather surprised that they have already started sending these "unofficial" emails out while not notifying others about their app status. Also, they must be quick readers because we received our eligibility emails two weeks ago. Maybe this has something to do with applicants' location? If not, I'm really bummed out because that means I am not a finalist. Or, maybe there's something wrong with my email again because I had to ask the office to resend my eligibility email. Ugh...

I got it today and sent them the information. I think it's a good sign that they selected the finalists, otherwise why would they want that information from ppl they didnt choose? 

Were these emails for the Rangel or for the Pickering? Thanks in advance!

im sorry, Desert, check your spam email (hopefully it's in there). But can anyone on here who did get pickering confirm this is an "unofficial" finalist notification. It got me really excited and now I cant concentrate lol