2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

Badgerina- what are your thoughts on Marquette?

I noticed that you studied at Madison, so I was wondering how you perceive the other schools in Wisconsin. Do you have any specific pros and cons regarding Marquette?  Obviously it costs more than state schools, but from what I hear, I think the program is excellent... right?  

I  have very high thoughts about Marquette.  I haven't visited their program (didn't really think I'd get in...), but their campus is beautiful.  It's an excellent program, second best in the state, and ranked very high in the nation.  The only con is the cost to me. My only other thing is that I'm from Milwaukee (kind of), so I applied in other areas (and Michigan and Iowa) to see if I'd have the chance to go out and see something new, but hey, I'm cool with Milwaukee for two years. 

As far as other schools in Wisconsin are, obviously Madison is the top ranked.  I went here for undergrad (though my original degree was German and Linguistics..useful, I know), and loved it.  The other schools are also great, you can't go wrong with a WI school.  Obviously some are 'better seen' than others especially depending on the field.  For instance, Platteville is small, but great for engineering.  Eau Claire is ranked third in the state after Madison and Marquette, and UWM fourth.  It's also well known for those going into music/music ed. 

I applied to Marquette because my husband's job would easily transfer to Milwaukee.  I have to coordinate with him a bit.  In the end, if I don't get into UWM, but do get into Eau Claire (assuming no funding offer), I would likely still pick Marquette despite the costs because his job is decent, and it would be difficult for him to transfer to Eau Claire.  I'd accept in a heartbeat, but I need to see if someone else will give me in state tuition first.

Also...I've filled out my FAFSA and all that a few weeks ago.  I'm assuming Marquette didn't give me an assistantship, but when do I hear if I've qualified for any of the unsubsidized Stafford loans?  Or any other ones? My CheckMarq still says 'no financial aid found'...is that later, did I miss a form I need to fill out, or am I screwed?  I don't have any other acceptances yet to compare with. 

Or is it in the letter we get from the postal service (that I somehow still don't have)?  Help?

hey badgerina, 

on the FAFSA, check to see if you submitted it specifically to Marquette (you can check the status online).  If you have submitted it to the school, it could be that the financial aid office doesn't process the FAFSA for aid / federal loans until you officially decide to attend.  One university I contacted basically told me that they will receive the information early, because most people turn them in February/ March, but they don't process unnecessarily. You can always call the financial aid office to find out more, but unfortunately a lot of financial aid offices will not release aid information over the phone.  Some have verification questions and then they'll release the info.  If you have a way to login to a student portal with Marquette, there may be a link to look at your aid info (although it sounds like you have looked at that with CheckMarq).  

hey badgerina, 

on the FAFSA, check to see if you submitted it specifically to Marquette (you can check the status online).  If you have submitted it to the school, it could be that the financial aid office doesn't process the FAFSA for aid / federal loans until you officially decide to attend.  One university I contacted basically told me that they will receive the information early, because most people turn them in February/ March, but they don't process unnecessarily. You can always call the financial aid office to find out more, but unfortunately a lot of financial aid offices will not release aid information over the phone.  Some have verification questions and then they'll release the info.  If you have a way to login to a student portal with Marquette, there may be a link to look at your aid info (although it sounds like you have looked at that with CheckMarq).  

I double checked, it's submitted to all my schools.  If I have no info by the end of next week, then I'll call the financial aid office and just make sure I haven't missed anything.  I'm not sure anything would pop into my portal before I've accepted the offer. 

So basically I'm not completely stupid with this whole FAFSA thing?

Hi everyone someone mentioned Brooklyn college - I just got an email today saying that my application had been sent to the program admissions committee for review and decision and they usually make decisions within 6 weeks - so I think not having an interview yet doesn't mean it's a rejection. 6 weeks is looonggg

I  have very high thoughts about Marquette.  I haven't visited their program (didn't really think I'd get in...), but their campus is beautiful.  It's an excellent program, second best in the state, and ranked very high in the nation.  The only con is the cost to me. My only other thing is that I'm from Milwaukee (kind of), so I applied in other areas (and Michigan and Iowa) to see if I'd have the chance to go out and see something new, but hey, I'm cool with Milwaukee for two years. 

As far as other schools in Wisconsin are, obviously Madison is the top ranked.  I went here for undergrad (though my original degree was German and Linguistics..useful, I know), and loved it.  The other schools are also great, you can't go wrong with a WI school.  Obviously some are 'better seen' than others especially depending on the field.  For instance, Platteville is small, but great for engineering.  Eau Claire is ranked third in the state after Madison and Marquette, and UWM fourth.  It's also well known for those going into music/music ed. 

I applied to Marquette because my husband's job would easily transfer to Milwaukee.  I have to coordinate with him a bit.  In the end, if I don't get into UWM, but do get into Eau Claire (assuming no funding offer), I would likely still pick Marquette despite the costs because his job is decent, and it would be difficult for him to transfer to Eau Claire.  I'd accept in a heartbeat, but I need to see if someone else will give me in state tuition first.

Also...I've filled out my FAFSA and all that a few weeks ago.  I'm assuming Marquette didn't give me an assistantship, but when do I hear if I've qualified for any of the unsubsidized Stafford loans?  Or any other ones? My CheckMarq still says 'no financial aid found'...is that later, did I miss a form I need to fill out, or am I screwed?  I don't have any other acceptances yet to compare with. 

Or is it in the letter we get from the postal service (that I somehow still don't have)?  Help?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!  I appreciate your opinion. 

In terms of the "official letter" - I would suggest contacting Marquette?  Perhaps your letter got lost in the mail.  My letter was received last week.  The letter stated that Marquette was not able to offer me financial aid at the present time.  So, likewise, I think your letter would also state any sort of scholarship/funding that was available to you. 

The letter came before the FAFSA deadline of March 1st and did not include any federal loan information.  I contacted the financial aid office at Marquette to ensure that I still qualified for loans.  The administrator I talked with reassured me that I would receive information regarding loans... probably at the end of March or in April.  

Best wishes in your decision making!  Let me know if you decide to go to Marquette :)  It is definitely high on my list.. just waiting to hear back from the others before I officially decide.   

Hey lissap08,

Thanks for the info!  I'll contact them about my letter, though I'm assuming I'd have gotten info by now had I received funding.  That means at least I know I'm not out of the running for loans.

I'll definitely let you know if I go.  It seems like you're already from the midwest, but if I can give any WI related info let me know!

Got my first decision today from Western Illinois and it was a rejection =/ Really starting to freak out...

The first rejection always hurts but you have 4 more schools to go! Don't worry, things will work out  :)

Hi badgerina - I'm new to this forum, but I just thought I would let you know what I know about Marquette.  I am not sure about unsubsidized Stafford loans, but the assistantships, tuition scholarships and fellowships were all announced in the letters from the postal service.  I received mine on Monday, so I would think you would be getting yours soon!

Are there any current Illinois State undergrads out there? What is it like to go there? Last year they announced early March, so hopefully we will be hearing from them soon!

I'm still so stressed about USF :(

Me too...I tried to take my mind off it by throwing snowballs, making snowmen, and going sledding. It almost worked :/ 

I got accepted to USF (traditional program) but I don't go to school there. I haven't heard anything about funding. I wonder if it is too late to apply for an assistantship. 

Edited by mute

I'm really concerned about the money thing as well. I've only been accepted to NYU and their tuition terrifies me - I also submitted the FAFSA after their deadline too. I have no idea what I will do if I don't get accepted anywhere else. It's close to home so I'll definitely commute to cut costs but I might not attend altogether if I have to take out too much in loans  :(

I feel ya! Such a tough decision.... glad I'm not the only one struggling with the reality of it :/

In my opinion, I think a school like Chapel Hill is worth the cost if you really love the program. Its location, reputation, and resources are top-notch, and SLP job placement is so high that you will be able to find work and likely not have any issues paying back your loans.

HOWEVER, any program you choose will equip you for a career, and if expenses are too stressful or taxing for you, there's absolutely no shame in choosing a cheaper school.

In previous years, many people here have turned down BU, Northwestern, NYU, etc., due to cost. You should do what makes you comfortable, but it's also a good idea to weigh the pros and cons.

That pretty much summarizes everything that I've been considering thus far.  So basically.... it will just come down to what feels right once all the options are out there. Bahhh, glad I don't have to decide right this second.  Thanks for helping me gain some perspective on it! :)

I got accepted to USF (traditional program) but I don't go to school there. I haven't heard anything about funding. I wonder if it is too late to apply for an assistantship.

Congrats! When did you submit your app?

I think the only reason that you should consider a more expensive school is if you want a PhD and reputation matters, but honestly the most important aspect is if you feel comfortable with the expenses and know that you can handle the tuition. I don't know what you want to do with your degree, some people want to continue to get a PhD and others just want to get a job after the masters. If you don't plan on getting a PhD then I think you should go with the cheaper school. As long as the program is ASHA approved and has an employment rate at or close to 100% after graduation then you will be fine. Even if you want to continue to a PhD I would still chose a cheaper school because the stress of finances is not worth it.

I had to apply to a lot of out of state schools because of my circumstance and I won't lie, the number one priority for me was how much the tuition cost and the funding that was given to students. I think people should take the cheaper option with schools whenever possible,

Yeaa that sounds pretty sensible. I'm not planning on getting a PhD (at least, not right now) so my bigger concern is such having a job after a graduate, so probably the cheapest option will be the best for me.  Haven't heard back about funding from anywhere yet so I'm hoping I get some good news soon :/ So far there is no cheapest option for me since I'm Canadian and trying desperately to stay in the US. Thanks for weighing in!! :)

Me too...I tried to take my mind off it by throwing snowballs, making snowmen, and going sledding. It almost worked :/

I just can't imagine why they would email you and ask about your pre req plans if they weren't planning on accepting you.

I just can't imagine why they would email you and ask about your pre req plans if they weren't planning on accepting you.

Jmarti, well if I told them I didn't have any plans it would have made it easy to reject me, so I guess they were just making sure they even needed to bother spending time to review my application. 

Edited by AMarie

Jmarti, well if I told them I didn't have any plans it would have made it easy to reject me, so I guess they were just making sure they even needed to bother spending time to review my application.

While that's true, I can't see that they would even waste their time notifying an applicant that they weren't serious about. Just a positive thought.

While that's true, I can't see that they would even waste their time notifying an applicant that they weren't serious about. Just a positive thought.

haha thanks :) It's all so competitive that sometimes it's hard to stay positive. we will get in! we will get in! we will get in! sending positive vibes your way. 

haha thanks :) It's all so competitive that sometimes it's hard to stay positive. we will get in! we will get in! we will get in! sending positive vibes your way.

Don't forget, USF does waves of acceptances. In their video, they said they do at least 3 rounds.