2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

Stuck between a rock and a hard place ... I seriously WANT to obsessively check my app status online, but I'm concerned about checking it at work.  For one, I might be so bummed out that I want to cry (or might actually cry), or for another, I might be so elated that I don't do such a great job at work the rest of the day ... so from this point on, I'm going to make myself wait to check app statuses at home.  EVEN harder!!!  Up to now, it was all theoretically just checking it to see if there were any "referred" or "decision pending" updates... now that I'm on a single-digit countdown to actually receiving some news (if I'm lucky enough to be in the first wave of apps notified), ... it's so much harder to be patient!!  Come on, 3:15!!!

Stuck between a rock and a hard place ... I seriously WANT to obsessively check my app status online, but I'm concerned about checking it at work.  For one, I might be so bummed out that I want to cry (or might actually cry), or for another, I might be so elated that I don't do such a great job at work the rest of the day ... so from this point on, I'm going to make myself wait to check app statuses at home.  EVEN harder!!!  Up to now, it was all theoretically just checking it to see if there were any "referred" or "decision pending" updates... now that I'm on a single-digit countdown to actually receiving some news (if I'm lucky enough to be in the first wave of apps notified), ... it's so much harder to be patient!!  Come on, 3:15!!!

Good call. I started SOBBING when I got an interview invitation! haha thankfully I was at home... my roomies thought i was crazy, though :P I actually love being at work/in class because it's the one time that i'm not obsessively looking at my phone or email

I just received an e-mail inviting me to their interview day. This is the first I have heard anything from them, so I am not sure if this means I was accepted (I would assume not), or if they are just inviting a bunch of potentials up for the day. I am almost positive that I will not be attending if I do happen to get in, so I am not sure if it is worth taking a day off of work to go up there. . . 

I haven't received anything, although I did go up for a visit in January.  I don't know if that would count.

*sigh*  I have a sinking suspicion it is time for me to look at online post-bacc programs and try again next year.

I am too jmarti. If I get one more wait list after receiving three in a row (or worse a rejection) I am seriously going to have a break down. It makes me re-think my whole entire application and the schools I applied to. Why aren't I not bad enough to get a rejection, but what is holding me back that I can't get accepted? My spring break is next week and I am REALLY not looking forward to it because I know that it will be me constantly checking my emails every 5 seconds until March 15th if I do not get an acceptance by then.

We just have to tell ourselves that we will get through this somehow. It's not over until it's over.

I am too jmarti. If I get one more wait list after receiving three in a row (or worse a rejection) I am seriously going to have a break down. It makes me re-think my whole entire application and the schools I applied to. Why aren't I not bad enough to get a rejection, but what is holding me back that I can't get accepted? My spring break is next week and I am REALLY not looking forward to it because I know that it will be me constantly checking my emails every 5 seconds until March 15th if I do not get an acceptance by then.

We just have to tell ourselves that we will get through this somehow. It's not over until it's over.

You will get through it, I know you will.

We can do this! I am sitting here, knowing my stats aren't as good as many on the results page, but we will all get there, somehow, some way! Praying for all of you, and myself too.

Stats are only stats. You have so much to offer as a person and in terms of experience, and I'm sure all of the adcoms see that. Numbers only mean so much, it's the rest of the person that makes a difference.

Stats are only stats. You have so much to offer as a person and in terms of experience, and I'm sure all of the adcoms see that. Numbers only mean so much, it's the rest of the person that makes a difference.

Agreed! My stats suck, but I have a lot of really good work experience so I'm hoping that counts for something. My boyfriend got me a gift card to Massage Envy for valentines day and I've been saving it to use after I get my first rejection notice lol

Grrr.  i freaked out when i saw someone post an email notification for TCU on the results page, but then I called the department who confirmed that results would be sent via snail mail and that the wouldn't even decide until next week (Spring Break) :( not cool.

anybody know of any online programs where I can take intro to audiology this summer without having prereqs? I just looked at utah states courses and it looks like you need two prerequisite courses before you can take their intro audiology

anybody know of any online programs where I can take intro to audiology this summer without having prereqs? I just looked at utah states courses and it looks like you need two prerequisite courses before you can take their intro audiology

It depends on what classes you have already taken.  Both USU and  Longwood require a previous course, but they don't have to have been with their programs.  I think it is anatomy and physiology for SLP.  If you have that, I think you are okay to register wherever you can get the class.

By the way, I checked with Univ of Alaska Anchorage, and their pre-req coursework is only offered fall-spring, but it is available online.  Just in case anyone was wondering.  :-) 

They don't really enforce their pre-reqs, so you could probably still take it there.  I have taken 2 courses with them and didn't have the pre-reqs for either, and they still let me.  I didn't even have to get special permission or anything.

I think a lot of people just apply to as many schools as possible without researching them because competition is so fierce. Undergrad programs have no problem graduating as many students as possible without properly portraying how difficult acceptance to a graduate program is. There are SO many undergrads applying for 20/30 seats per program. I have talked to a few deans of colleges and directors of programs and the majority have told me that if you don't meet the stats they are looking for it is difficult to admit you into the program. I graduated from the honors college at my school and I basically feel as though I shot myself in the foot for taking more rigorous coursework.  If you don't get into school, what can you really do with a bachelors in speech and language?

Look at USF's distance classes, I'm pretty sure they offer that, just not sure which semester.

Hi Everyone, 

I just discovered this place while going somewhat insane waiting for news on applications. I'm not sure if this is good or bad for sanity!

I'm an out-of-field applicant finishing up a another BS in Comm Disorders. Although most of my experience is in industry (biochem and software development), I have a couple years volunteer experience in child welfare (CASA and internship at an RTC) and a little time working camps with some awesome kiddos living with autism. I only really discovered SLP a year and a half ago when I was really dedicated to a social work track and fell in love with the field starting with one elective credit I was taking for a degree in child development - this prompted a bit of an about-face. 

I have reasonable-ish stats, but I can't believe how competitive things are... and I have to admit, looking at people on here makes me realize just how weak of a candidate I really am. At this point I. JUST. WANT. TO. KNOW. ANYTHING!!! :D My top choice (now that my dream "never gonna happen" program rejected me) is Colorado-Boulder. But I think that is a phenomenal long shot. 

Take care!

-Chris  

Edited by cahurt

Hi Everyone, 

I just discovered this place while going somewhat insane waiting for news on applications. I'm not sure if this is good or bad for sanity!

I'm an out-of-field applicant finishing up a another BS in Comm Disorders. Although most of my experience is in industry (biochem and software development), I have a couple years volunteer experience in child welfare (CASA and internship at an RTC) and a little time working camps with some awesome kiddos living with autism. I only really discovered SLP a year and a half ago when I was really dedicated to a social work track and fell in love with the field starting with one elective credit I was taking for a degree in child development - this prompted a bit of an about-face. 

I have reasonable-ish stats, but I can't believe how competitive things are... and I have to admit, looking at people on here makes me realize just how weak of a candidate I really am. At this point I. JUST. WANT. TO. KNOW. ANYTHING!!! :D My top choice (now that my dream "never gonna happen" program rejected me) is Colorado-Boulder. But I think that is a phenomenal long shot. 

Take care!

-Chris  

Welcome!  I think gradcafe is good and bad for this process........ It can drive you insane, but it can also help you to stop obessing if someone else shares news that it will still be a week, or two, or LONGER before schools send out decisions.  It's also nice to have somewhere to vent!  Good luck with everything!

The pre-reqs. don't apply if you're a non-degree seeking student.  You can get a waiver to get in that class.  Once you're admitted to the school as non-degree seeking, get in touch with Nick in the COMD dept. to get approval to take the class. USU's staff is very helpful and friendly and really have it together.  

I just received an e-mail inviting me to their interview day. This is the first I have heard anything from them, so I am not sure if this means I was accepted (I would assume not), or if they are just inviting a bunch of potentials up for the day. I am almost positive that I will not be attending if I do happen to get in, so I am not sure if it is worth taking a day off of work to go up there. . . 

When is their interview day?  If I don't hear from them at all, I'm going to assume that I'll have to wait until after that day to receive an admissions decision.

Speaking of venting..... Has anyone else noticed that when people who are not in the midst of this process ask you about what schools you have heard from, when you say you haven't heard from x, y, and z, they act like "Oh I'm sorry -that's too bad".... like "that means you didn't get in".  Even though they have no idea what it means.....it drives me insane!  Haha.  Clearly I am stressed today!

I have never actually had that happen, but I have had plenty of people outside of the process give me all sorts of "advice" which can be frustrating... Of course I think I have discovered there is really nothing much anyone can say that will take away the crazy :) My favorite one so far has been in regards to Wisconsin-Madison (a serious "never gonna happen" stretch program for me, so I really wasn't too bummed when I got that rejection) asking if they have somehow magically reconsidered "yet".

Thanks for the warm welcome. Good luck, I'm actually from Oklahoma originally (live in CO now) and have a good friend who went to the OU program. 

Take care!

-Chris 

Hi all! I applied last year and was rejected to all 6 schools that I applied to. This is my second year applying and although I have received another rejection :( I have finally been offered an interview! I am going through the waiting game with 3 more schools. This interview gives me hope. I am so passionate about this field and I have been working toward making this as a career since my first experience shadowing a SLP in high school. Each rejection hurts more than the last, but ultimately there is nothing I can do about it. I graduated from UF and majored in CSD and minored in education. My GPA is competitive and I have a lot of experience working in the field during undergrad and as a SLPA after I graduated. But, rejection after rejection come in and it's frustrating, hurtful, and really confusing. I keep asking myself what I'm doing wrong but I am so grateful for the interview opportunity. It only takes one! Keep your heads up and don't give up!

Hi all! I applied last year and was rejected to all 6 schools that I applied to. This is my second year applying and although I have received another rejection :( I have finally been offered an interview! I am going through the waiting game with 3 more schools. This interview gives me hope. I am so passionate about this field and I have been working toward making this as a career since my first experience shadowing a SLP in high school. Each rejection hurts more than the last, but ultimately there is nothing I can do about it. I graduated from UF and majored in CSD and minored in education. My GPA is competitive and I have a lot of experience working in the field during undergrad and as a SLPA after I graduated. But, rejection after rejection come in and it's frustrating, hurtful, and really confusing. I keep asking myself what I'm doing wrong but I am so grateful for the interview opportunity. It only takes one! Keep your heads up and don't give up!

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the interview-- that is an awesome step! :D It sounds like you are super passionate and enthusiastic about being an SLP, and I'm sure that will show in the interview:) Keeping my fingers (and toes!) crossed for you!

Wow, I am quite scared now looking at this! I am a junior so I'll be applying for grad school next year.  I am looking at USF, UF, TCU, UNC-CH, UVA, Vandy, UM College Park, UGA,  James Madison, and UNC Greensboro.  My first choice is UNC-Chapel Hill, but from what I gather, it is nearly impossible to get in.  My GPA is currently 4.0, and I took a practice GRE and got 161/ 160.  I am wondering if anyone DID get into UNC CH.  Any suggestions?

Also, can anyone offer advice about James Madison, UNC Greensboro, UF, UGA, TCU, USF, UVA,  or UM College Park?  I know very little about these programs, so am just looking for overall opinions or wisdom in general.  It is quite a lengthy list, and I ideally would only want to apply to 6-7 schools...

Thanks!!