2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

Hi!

I was wondering if I could get a bit of advice from anyone. I'm an out-of field applicant with one year of teaching experience. I have a mediocre GRE score and 3.7 GPA. I'm a horrible test taker. I have taken the GRE three times. The first and second time I studied hard core for four months. The third time was a year later and I didn't study hardly at all. Sometimes I think some people just have the skills to take test (standardized) and some people don't (including me). Does anyone have any suggestions, should I just stop taking the GRE, or take a GRE class (which costs $800)? I feel so dumb. I just don't know if my score will ever increase.

Also, I do not have any of the pre-req classes. If I do not get in this year, does anyone have any suggestions? Will I have a better chance of getting in if I enroll as an undergrad and take the pre-reqs at the actual school OR take them online? I want the cheapest option, but the one that will give me the best chance.

Do schools really care about volunteer hours?

Any suggestions would be so wonderful! Thanks so much in advance:)

Bcjami, I took a Kaplan course (only the math portion), and I don't recommend it. It wasn't bad, and the instructor was really nice, but it wasn't worth the exorbitant price tag! I felt ripped off, though my quant score did improve significantly upon retake (albeit I think that had more to do with the new test format since my first GRE attempt was with the old CAT version).

Even if your GRE is lower than you'd like, it may not be too low for many schools, especially since your GPA is solid. Some schools give GRE minimum guidelines or accepted student averages so you have an idea as to what they expect, and even some of the more competitive programs don't necessarily place as much weight on GREs as they do the total app.

If your GRE is 300+, you're fine for a lot of programs; 310+ seems competitive for essentially every program. And I've definitely seen people on the results page who were accepted with lower scores.

I'm actually terrified to hear from the rest of the schools I applied to. 

:( I'm still thinking only good thoughts for you. I know how badly you want to attend school, and I know you'll be an amazing, passionate SLP.

:( I'm still thinking only good thoughts for you. I know how badly you want to attend school, and I know you'll be an amazing, passionate SLP.

Thanks  :)  I'm working on accepting that this isn't in my hands anymore. If I get in, great! If not, I know I'll be reapplying next season. This is my dream and what I'm passionate about. Hard times like these are supposed to make us better, not bitter. 

Hi!

I was wondering if I could get a bit of advice from anyone. I'm an out-of field applicant with one year of teaching experience. I have a mediocre GRE score and 3.7 GPA. I'm a horrible test taker. I have taken the GRE three times. The first and second time I studied hard core for four months. The third time was a year later and I didn't study hardly at all. Sometimes I think some people just have the skills to take test (standardized) and some people don't (including me). Does anyone have any suggestions, should I just stop taking the GRE, or take a GRE class (which costs $800)? I feel so dumb. I just don't know if my score will ever increase.

Also, I do not have any of the pre-req classes. If I do not get in this year, does anyone have any suggestions? Will I have a better chance of getting in if I enroll as an undergrad and take the pre-reqs at the actual school OR take them online? I want the cheapest option, but the one that will give me the best chance.

Your GPA is really good. Did your GRE scores go up or down after the 2nd and 3rd retake?

And did you apply to programs that don't look at pre-reqs for this year?

From the info you've provided, if you don't get in anywhere this year, I would assume it was because of your GRE score which you can always bring up for next year through studying. I would only recommend a GRE class if you're having trouble with time management. Most GRE classes I find seem to focus more on "tricks" to save time than any actual reviewing of math concepts or vocab words.

And any experience related to SLP would definitely boost your chances, along with great letters of recommendations and a well-written SOP.

Thanks  :)  I'm working on accepting that this isn't in my hands anymore. If I get in, great! If not, I know I'll be reapplying next season. This is my dream and what I'm passionate about. Hard times like these are supposed to make us better, not bitter. 

Absolutely. You can fine-tune your SOP, gain more experience to add to your CV, apply to different or more programs, etc.

But it's so not even close to being over. UVA hasn't even notified in-fielders as far as I can tell; neither has USC or FSU! And isn't USF still up in the air as well?!

I came across the Churchill quotation in my signature on this board earlier today, and it speaks volumes to me. It think it's appropriate for everyone in the middle of this process!

Absolutely. You can fine-tune your SOP, gain more experience to add to your CV, apply to different or more programs, etc.

But it's so not even close to being over. UVA hasn't even notified in-fielders as far as I can tell; neither has USC or FSU! And isn't USF still up in the air as well?!

I came across the Churchill quotation in my signature on this board earlier today, and it speaks volumes to me. It think it's appropriate for everyone in the middle of this process!

Nope! FSU notifies on Monday at 5, and USC said sometie in mid-March. UVA and USF are still up in the air for me. I'm hoping for waitlists, if not acceptances. Hopefully everyone starts to notify soon. 

Hi!

GRE minimums tend to be very low, and GPA is so much more important. You could check with each program and see what their cutoffs are. I think volunteer hours/direct SLP experience is very important! In terms of pre-reqs, a lot of programs do not requre you to have pre-reqs. I have no pre-reqs and their were plenty of programs I could apply to. You may have to take an extra year/semester.

Has anyone thought about getting their recommenders a gift or something to say thank you for taking the time to write these letters?

I have no idea what to do for one of my recommenders who had to send a letter by mail from Europe to SDSU overnight (the postage was nearly $100) because the deadline had slipped her mind but I feel terrible about it  :(

Nope! FSU notifies on Monday at 5, and USC said sometie in mid-March. UVA and USF are still up in the air for me. I'm hoping for waitlists, if not acceptances. Hopefully everyone starts to notify soon. 

Goood luck!!! Hoping you hear your first great news on Monday!!! :D 

Has anyone thought about getting their recommenders a gift or something to say thank you for taking the time to write these letters?

I have no idea what to do for one of my recommenders who had to send a letter by mail from Europe to SDSU overnight (the postage was nearly $100) because the deadline had slipped her mind but I feel terrible about it  :(

i gave my recommenders handwritten thank you's, but that sounds like a very different situation. If you could think of something small, yet meaningful for her, I think that would be super nice. Especially since she sounds dedicated to helping you succeed. 

Thanks so much midnight streetlight and mystiqueSLP! The second time I went down and the third I went up a point. On the new GRE my highest was a 291 and on the old a 940. I also took the MAT and scored a 405. Most of the schools I'm interested in do not even look at the MAT. I can hardly stand waiting anymore.I will for sure think about volunteering if I don't get in though. Applied: UGA and Western Carolina Accepted: Rejected:UGA 3 year program Supplemental Application: Western Carolina (wondering if this is a good sign) or did everyone that applied get this too?

I sent mine a brief thank-you note after they wrote the letters, and I am planning to send a longer letter when I can share the results and my final decision:) I think the gift thing can be getting into sensitive professional issues, because some schools have strict policies on that.  I'm thinking about giving them a small handmade gift (like cookies!), and I've known other people who included a small giftcard to a local coffee place or bookstore :) 

I don't know if everyone who applied to Western Carolina got the app checklist / supplemental form, but it was all information that was easily included in the application we had already submitted, nothing really new.  I keep telling myself that it indicates the people who made the so-called first cut, but that may not be the case at all.  Plus, via their email, they would be notifying acceptances beginning March 8th to March 15th .... and not a peep from them on the results board, as far as I can tell.  :-( 

I just did a little research, and it looks like UVA, USF, and USC are all on spring break starting Monday. I guess it's safe to say it will be another ~2 weeks before hearing anything from those few. 

I'm sending my profs thank-you cards; I've also toyed with the idea of giving them books (~$15 each) that I think they would enjoy, but a card by itself is considered absolutely fine.

I'm not sure what you should do about the prof who had to overnight the letter. I'd definitely write a heartfelt thank-you note, but it's kind of messy otherwise since it was the professor's oversight, and I don't think it's your responsibility to reimburse her (not that you said it was).

I have already written my thank-you notes and I'm going to pick out a fresh box of chocolates to mail with them just as a small token of appreciation once I decide where I am going to go (if I have more than one option, of course).  I didn't want it to look like bribery but I did want to communicate with them where I get accepted (etc) just to keep in touch with them.  My LOR's were two of my online professors, and one collegial reference, and surprisingly my LOR's from the online professors were (apparently) really great, from what I heard from ECU.  I interacted well in class, helped above and beyond, and came out with A's in both of their courses, so I guess all that helped in the end! 

Oh, and Bcjami - you were asking about applying out of field, no pre-reqs, etc -- here is my advice based on what I've learned being out of field, 6 yrs in teaching.  

1) Get as much exposure to the field in ways that you can write about in your SOP.  

2) Take a few pre-req courses; it seems more difficult to convince these master's programs to take out-of-field candidates who don't have at least a course or two in their pocket, even if you don't have all of the pre-reqs.  

3) As long as your GRE scores meet or exceed the posted numbers, I wouldn't honestly worry about re-takes.  If it is high enough, say, close to 150 on each test (preferably higher), I'd focus attention elsewhere.

4) Focus that attention on interactions with potential LOR writers.  

5) Get a few eyes on that SOP.  Check the school's website on the SOP guidelines, what specific questions they have, etc.  Write it, leave it alone for a week, then come back again.  Repeat this process for at least 2-3 months.  Get a second set of eyes to check for grammar, make sure you haven't "mentally" connected an idea but forgotten to write it on the SOP itself, etc.  

6) Don't be afraid to spend money to visit programs.  Especially with out-of-field candidates, visiting the program communicates a desire to see what exactly you might be getting yourself into, and shows the program interest that they can recognize when your application packet comes into their system. 

There really isn't a magic system for getting into grad school.  I got into a top school of ed master's program six years ago, and somehow by the skin of my teeth, I managed to get an acceptance this time... but I have also been taking a TON of pre-req courses and working really hard on my application.  

Hope this helps! 

I'm waiting until I hear back from the majority of my schools so I can include most of the decisions into my letters but I've already expressed my gratitude to them in person and over email multiple times.

I was planning to get one of my recommenders, my former french professor, a necklace because I've always noticed her wearing these really artsy necklaces in class but she's the only one I can get a meaningful present for. I work really closely with my second recommender but it seems awkward since he's male. I would hate to go down the route of useless glass paperweights though.

As for the professor in Europe, I gave stamps to my other recommenders so it does feel like I should reimburse her somehow. She was so nice about the whole situation that I'm pretty sure she's forgotten all about it by now which only makes me feel worse.

I'm waiting until I hear back from the majority of my schools so I can include most of the decisions into my letters but I've already expressed my gratitude to them in person and over email multiple times.

I was planning to get one of my recommenders, my former french professor, a necklace because I've always noticed her wearing these really artsy necklaces in class but she's the only one I can get a meaningful present for. I work really closely with my second recommender but it seems awkward since he's male. I would hate to go down the route of useless glass paperweights though.

As for the professor in Europe, I gave stamps to my other recommenders so it does feel like I should reimburse her somehow. She was so nice about the whole situation that I'm pretty sure she's forgotten all about it by now which only makes me feel worse.

If that's the case, I don't think you should feel too terribly. It was her oversight, and if she isn't upset, I wouldn't worry.  :)

Thanks so much midnight streetlight and mystiqueSLP! The second time I went down and the third I went up a point. On the new GRE my highest was a 291 and on the old a 940. I also took the MAT and scored a 405. Most of the schools I'm interested in do not even look at the MAT. I can hardly stand waiting anymore.I will for sure think about volunteering if I don't get in though. Applied: UGA and Western Carolina Accepted: Rejected:UGA 3 year program Supplemental Application: Western Carolina (wondering if this is a good sign) or did everyone that applied get this too?

Oh come on now, you made it sound as if your GREs were really awful  :P Most schools have an average of 300 for new GRE scores and you're only a few points away. I think if you study a bit harder and answer a few more questions right, you'll be just fine.

I have already written my thank-you notes and I'm going to pick out a fresh box of chocolates to mail with them just as a small token of appreciation once I decide where I am going to go (if I have more than one option, of course).  I didn't want it to look like bribery but I did want to communicate with them where I get accepted (etc) just to keep in touch with them.  My LOR's were two of my online professors, and one collegial reference, and surprisingly my LOR's from the online professors were (apparently) really great, from what I heard from ECU.  I interacted well in class, helped above and beyond, and came out with A's in both of their courses, so I guess all that helped in the end! 

How did ECU let you know that your LORs from the online professors were great?

Oh come on now, you made it sound as if your GREs were really awful  :P Most schools have an average of 300 for new GRE scores and you're only a few points away. I think if you study a bit harder and answer a few more questions right, you'll be just fine.

How did ECU let you know that your LORs from the online professors were great?

Some informal feedback re:my accomplishments/recommendations.  Not much of a comment, but if it was mentioned, it must have been worth mentioning! :-) 

I don't know if everyone who applied to Western Carolina got the app checklist / supplemental form, but it was all information that was easily included in the application we had already submitted, nothing really new.  I keep telling myself that it indicates the people who made the so-called first cut, but that may not be the case at all.  Plus, via their email, they would be notifying acceptances beginning March 8th to March 15th .... and not a peep from them on the results board, as far as I can tell.  :-( 

Were you sure they were going to start on the 8th? I thought that was the date the supplemental app was due because that would be the day they would start the process. I think I read on the FAQ section that they would start notifying around the 15th, so I wouldn't freak out if nobody has heard anything.