2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

Congratulations on getting it all figured out! That must be a big mental relief.

I am jealous, as I still have not heard a peep from any of my schools!

I think this week and next will be big for you, tuckerma!

Congratulations on getting it all figured out! That must be a big mental relief.

I am jealous, as I still have not heard a peep from any of my schools!

I'm in the same boat here! Waiting for the mailman everyday like a puppy dog is starting to drive me crazy!! Something must be coming any day now.

Well, I have done my fair share of creeping on this site. This is my second year applying and y'all are giving me some hope!!! I am currently and SLPA and behavior therapist at a private clinic! I had to go that route when all I did last year was get wait-listed and rejected. I love my job and believe that everything worked out the way it should have. Just hoping grad school works out in my favor this year. So far it's not looking that way. Good thing I have a caseload of 35 to keep me busy during the week!! BTW, where are all of the people from Texas at??? Congrats to everyone! I have read enough I feel like I know y'all! Hahaha

So within 15 minutes today I was rejected from UConn and accepted to UVA! It's been a roller coaster of emotions for sure. I'm so excited to be able to officially say I'm going to grad school next year!

Congrats srh!!!

So within 15 minutes today I was rejected from UConn and accepted to UVA! It's been a roller coaster of emotions for sure. I'm so excited to be able to officially say I'm going to grad school next year!

Congrats!!!! Do you mind letting me know if you're in-field or out-of-field?

Congrats!!!! Do you mind letting me know if you're in-field or out-of-field?

Thank you! I applied as in-field because I'm currently in a post-bacc program, and I'll have taken ~12 classes by the time I start in the fall, more than satisfying all of their prereqs

Thank you! I applied as in-field because I'm currently in a post-bacc program, and I'll have taken ~12 classes by the time I start in the fall, more than satisfying all of their prereqs

Congrats again! I am assuming that this is a rejection for me then, but that's okay :) I hope you're celebrating!

Congrats again! I am assuming that this is a rejection for me then, but that's okay :) I hope you're celebrating!

It doesn't mean rejection. UVA seems to notify all throughout March and into April, not in one fell swoop.

Congratulations srh! It's good to see more positive results being posted! And Norcal thanks for the inspirational story about your father. Kcald, I am glad to see you have made a decision, so I'm guessing you aren't going to wait for any more replies? Congrats as well! :)

It doesn't mean rejection. UVA seems to notify all throughout March and into April, not in one fell swoop.

Really? I was told by a current UVA undergrad that they seem to accept in one large heaping, and then the rest are technically waitlisted until they hear back from the first round admits. But that could be wrong :).

Oh, and today during one of my classes, a girl was notified that she was accepted to a school. She cried so many happy tears, since she had very low stats and was not expecting much.

Very exciting! We were all so happy for her. Someone should definitely be there to release balloons and confetti when you get happy news.  :P

Congratulations srh! It's good to see more positive results being posted! And Norcal thanks for the inspirational story about your father. Kcald, I am glad to see you have made a decision, so I'm guessing you aren't going to wait for any more replies? Congrats as well! :)

Nope, not going to wait for App State or Greensboro. ECU is a top choice for me! Now if only my computer would cooperate with my attempts to decline the WCU offer, I would feel good to have opened a spot for someone else.

Edited by kcald716

Really? I was told by a current UVA undergrad that they seem to accept in one large heaping, and then the rest are technically waitlisted until they hear back from the first round admits. But that could be wrong :).

True, there isn't a traditional waitlist, but the cycle seems to be ongoing. Not hearing back yet doesn't mean rejection, and at least with the out-of-field group, the acceptances appeared to be spread out over a week.

Nope, not going to wait for App State or Greensboro. ECU is a top choice for me! Now if only my computer would cooperate with my attempts to decline the WCU offer, I would feel good to have opened a spot for someone else.

well, that's wonderful! That decision is gonna up a few spots for other people..I can't wait till I decide so that I can do the same..still waiting for replies

cheers to you! Go out and celebrate!

Edited by slpf13

I shared this story last year when I was applying but I figured I would share it with y'all too. My father likes to tell this (totally true) story and told me it several times when I was applying to grad school, especially after I was wait listed at one of my top choice grad schools and rejected from another. 

My father did not get in to his top choice law school. He was wait listed. He did however, get into a school half way across the country. He never got off the wait list to his top choice school, so went to the school in a different state, 2 thousand miles away. While there, he worked as a dishwasher at a sorority house (making next to no money but getting 2 free meals a day which, let's face it is all a 23 year old guy needs). While there he met my mother and they still (over 30 years later) have a very happy life together. He has considered writing his top choice school a thank you note for "forever changing his life for the better." The point is, you never really know where life will take you. What seems like a roadblock (in this case a wait list or a rejection) may end up being the best thing that has ever happened to you. 

Awesome story!!! Thanks for sharing! 

This was year 2 applying, but I started the process of switching professions in 2010. I had already taken 7 prerequisite classes, and got straight A's in all of them, but because my undergrad GPA was so low, it didn't help me much. So I got into a second bachelors program online, worked as a SLP-A for a year, worked at an audiology office, and now I work at a Parkinson's Disease center that has a SLP. Basically, just get a much real world experience (work or volunteering) in the field as possible! I think that helped me a lot. It's definitely very frustrating, but it can be done! Good luck!

Thanks so much for the response! I am also switching professions, I worked 10+ years in an unrelated field. I hope that helps me by showing I have professional, consistent work experience. We shall see!!!  :rolleyes:

True, there isn't a traditional waitlist, but the cycle seems to be ongoing. Not hearing back yet doesn't mean rejection, and at least with the out-of-field group, the acceptances appeared to be spread out over a week.

If you want to check to see if they've made their decision yet, you can always look on ApplyYourself. When I was admitted all I got was an email saying to go check your status because it has changed. And like midnightstreetlight said, not hearing back definitely doesn't mean a rejection. All it means is that they haven't changed your status in the computer yet.

Well, I have done my fair share of creeping on this site. This is my second year applying and y'all are giving me some hope!!! I am currently and SLPA and behavior therapist at a private clinic! I had to go that route when all I did last year was get wait-listed and rejected. I love my job and believe that everything worked out the way it should have. Just hoping grad school works out in my favor this year. So far it's not looking that way. Good thing I have a caseload of 35 to keep me busy during the week!! BTW, where are all of the people from Texas at??? Congrats to everyone! I have read enough I feel like I know y'all! Hahaha

Just out of curiosity, could you tell me what the requirements are in Texas for an SLPA position? I'm considering all options if I don't get accepted anywhere this year - including relocating if need be.

Just to be safe, I looked into a few schools to consider applying to next cycle. I tried to find some that had (somewhat) of an interest in cochlear implants. 

Does anyone have any info/opinions on:

University of North Carolina Greensboro

University of Texas at Dallas

University of Alabama?

Just to be safe, I looked into a few schools to consider applying to next cycle. I tried to find some that had (somewhat) of an interest in cochlear implants. 

University of Alabama?

I don't know anything about those programs in general, but have you heard of ASHA's EdFinder? It's got information on all accredited programs, so you might be able to find something through that. Sorry if you've already heard about this, but I figured it could possibly help. Best of luck :-).

I don't know anything about those programs in general, but have you heard of ASHA's EdFinder? It's got information on all accredited programs, so you might be able to find something through that. Sorry if you've already heard about this, but I figured it could possibly help. Best of luck :-).

Yup! That's where I found their average GPA, GRE, and general focus! I just didn't know if anyone had heard anything else that maybe ASHA doesn't report.  :)

University of Alabama?

Maybe you could contact NIDCD for school suggestions? (Also, if you're staying in MD for a while, see if they have any opportunities for you to work or volunteer for them?)