2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

I'm so happy, I found a Columbia acceptance letter on the website today, and then an hour later I got an acceptance call from Emerson! This is a good day! Now I just need to hear back from Northwestern.

Congrats, that's awesome!! I'm waiting on Northwestern as well.. I've been telling myself 'any day now' since the end of Feb.. womp womp

I actually had to do this...

Generally speaking, once you get into a school you don't want to lose your spot and risk not getting into any other schools. And, it's your money so you should go to the best school that you can get into...

Congrats FSUstar!!

Thank you!!!

I'm  a WCU waitlister also...dying in the inside alittle bit today.
Do you all of the students that were not accepted first round got this email? Or do you think the email was limited down and sent to select students? Ahhhh, it's going to be so hard to wait another month not knowing where I stand.

Do you all of the students that were not accepted first round got this email? Or do you think the email was limited down and sent to select students? Ahhhh, it's going to be so hard to wait another month not knowing where I stand.

This is my second application to WCU, and the same process seems to be occuring as last year....I waited last year until May to learn that the process was closed; I was never technically "rejected". I am curious if anyone got a rejection notice at this point, but I have no idea. The thought of another month of waiting is making me need to take more yoga asap. It would be nice to know if we are actually in a legitimate "pile of possibilities" and not just 300+ students all in the same boat.

Oh, thanks for the heads up! Oh well, good things come to those who wait.

By the way, it looks like our backgrounds are pretty similar, since I was a Linguistics major at Brandeis! And I also got waitlisted at BU after an interview. 

Congrats on your acceptance to Emerson!  I'm hoping one's coming my way (it's my top choice), but I'm not holding out hope on it and I'm just grateful to get the once acceptance at this point.  

One of my linguistics professors was a full-time professor at Brandeis (Dr. Henrietta Hung) and taught phonology at NU since the program didn't have a professor suitable to teach the course at the time.  She was wonderful and I've heard wonderful things about Brandeis's program!  

However, I can't help thinking about how I'd feel bad for committing to a school to only back out later on. I wonder how often this happens?

ALL the time. It's why wait-lists move through July or even later. People put deposits on one school then get off one of a wait-list and decide to take themselves off of the list for the school they had put their deposit on. This allows THAT school to admit off the wait-list and it creates a domino effect. Don't feel bad AT ALL about doing this. As much as I am VERY happy at my grad school I admit it was not my FIRST choice (it was a top choice but not #1). I was wait-listed at #1 and if I had been admitted off the wait-list (before July as by then I had an apartment and had planned my move across the country) I would have sacrificed my deposit and not felt at ALL guilty about it. Think about it this way, if you get off the list to your wait-list school and "back out" on another school you may be allowing someone else to take YOUR place. Don't worry about not giving school A your tuition money, they get a lot of that anyway. 

To those that didn't receive an acceptance email from Vanderbilt.. I spoke with someone over there today and she said that they put the decision letters in the mail yesterday so depending on where you are in the country you should be getting them soon!

Got my first acceptance today!! 

I am going to grad school this fall. It hardly seems real.

I could not be any happier right now.

Now to enjoy my celebratory Pi day pie.

Way to go! Congratulations and enjoy your pie :)

Got my first acceptance today!! 

I am going to grad school this fall. It hardly seems real.

I could not be any happier right now.

Now to enjoy my celebratory Pi day pie.

Congratulations!!!!

To those that didn't receive an acceptance email from Vanderbilt.. I spoke with someone over there today and she said that they put the decision letters in the mail yesterday so depending on where you are in the country you should be getting them soon!

Thanks for the info!  So I'm assuming if you didn't receive an email, the letter will be about a rejection or wait list?

Thanks for the info!  So I'm assuming if you didn't receive an email, the letter will be about a rejection or wait list?

Thats what I am assuming :/ I couldn't think of any other reason that they would only send out emails to SOME of the accepted students!

Thats what I am assuming :/ I couldn't think of any other reason that they would only send out emails to SOME of the accepted students!

I was thinking that maybe they emailed applicants who live farthest away? Maybe they figured that if you'd receive the letter within a day or two that was sufficient, but if it would be longer than that they notified via email so we wouldn't have to wait too long?

I was thinking that maybe they emailed applicants who live farthest away? Maybe they figured that if you'd receive the letter within a day or two that was sufficient, but if it would be longer than that they notified via email so we wouldn't have to wait too long?
I'm in TN and got an email.

Celebrating this pie day with my first acceptance to the University of Houston!

Still not sure if I'm going to accept or deny it since it all depends on my home-state results but I'm just happy to know that I'm going somewhere this Fall :)

i already pretty much accepted the fact that i didn't get in, so hopefully the letter wont hit too hard (never know until you actually read a rejection, haha!)

i already pretty much accepted the fact that i didn't get in, so hopefully the letter wont hit too hard (never know until you actually read a rejection, haha!)

Well, it ain't over till it's over, and look at all of the acceptances you've gotten. You have amazing options!

Edited by midnight streetlight

I'm in the same boat! I guess we will all see in a few days! :/

Just wanted to give everyone an update on UNC-G. The department is done notifying applicants that were accepted and the rest of us have been put on a waitlist. Apparently they had 350 applications and needed to fill 25 spots. We will be notified of their final decision sometime between March 15 and April 15. Just got an email about this after sending them one to inquire about my status.

Do you know if this mean that every single person who was not accepted is wait listed, or did they just take the next x % of people?

Thanks for the info!

Do you know if this mean that every single person who was not accepted is wait listed, or did they just take the next x % of people?

Thanks for the info!

Just for clarification, I think SLP1990 is referring to the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, not Northern Colorado at Greeley.