2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

Congrats jmarti!! :D I know it's sounds weird, but after reading the forum for the last few days I was rooting for you! I'm going to USF too! Are you going to the open house coming up this week?

Thank you!!! I'm really hoping to go to the open house. It's just very short notice for me, since I would have to fly in from Maryland. Do you think I would be missing a lot of info?

I'm pretty much decided on USF anyway, so it wouldn't do anything to sway my feelings :P.

Hmmm not really...if you want, I can come back on here and tell you everything they say... Even though I go there and know just about everything on the program :)

If I can't get there, that would definitely be awesome. I am so excited!

I WAS JUST ACCEPTED TO USF!!!! This is actually the happiest moment of my life. I cried tears of joy. Thank you all for supporting me through this time. It means so much. 
Sorry for being a little late on this but CONGRATS!!! I am so unbelievably happy for you and am so glad you finally got the good news you deserve :) USF is lucky to have you.

Sorry for being a little late on this but CONGRATS!!! I am so unbelievably happy for you and am so glad you finally got the good news you deserve :) USF is lucky to have you.

Eek thank you!!! I'm hoping everyone on here gets to experience this feeling. I am so thrilled that I will ACTUALLY be an SLP someday. :) :)

I WAS JUST ACCEPTED TO USF!!!! This is actually the happiest moment of my life. I cried tears of joy. Thank you all for supporting me through this time. It means so much. 

YAAAYYYYY!!! I am so thrilled for you girl! I knew you'd make it!

Thanks!! Have you heard back yet?

Nope! I went to preview day at FSU yesterday and they pretty much convinced me to go there haha. But I'm still waiting to see what happens with the schools I haven't heard from yet. I hope this next week gives me some clarity!

Nope! I went to preview day at FSU yesterday and they pretty much convinced me to go there haha. But I'm still waiting to see what happens with the schools I haven't heard from yet. I hope this next week gives me some clarity!

That is awesome! Any school would be lucky to have you.

It was great meeting you at FSU! I am so torn. Their program blew me away!

It was great meeting you at FSU! I am so torn. Their program blew me away!

It was awesome meeting you too!! Let me know what you end up deciding. I'm still waiting on FAU, UCF, and USF, but its looking like I'm going to accept at FSU. I drove around town with my friend today and found a ton of potential places to live so let me know if you need any insight in that area!

I'm going to mark all of the debate posts on the results board as spam.

If people want to discuss the ins and outs of admissions decisions, there are literally dozens of appropriate places for them to do it, and the results board is not one of them.

I've been doing the same. The post is gone now, but I read someone complaining about posts shouldn't be marked as spam and that people didn't know there was a forum  <_<

I've also been marking the ones that weren't done correctly (someone put "All" as their institution - not helpful).

I've been doing the same. The post is gone now, but I read someone complaining about posts shouldn't be marked as spam and that people didn't know there was a forum  <_<

I've also been marking the ones that weren't done correctly (someone put "All" as their institution - not helpful).

I know; I love the sentiment of the "all" result posting, but it's not actually helpful, especially since people do specific term searches using school names.

And if I see the word "political" over there one more time, I'm going to...well, do nothing but scratch my head because I'm not quite sure what that really means in the context of SLP admissions.

I know; I love the sentiment of the "all" result posting, but it's not actually helpful, especially since people do specific term searches using school names.

And if I see the word "political" over there one more time, I'm going to...well, do nothing but scratch my head because I'm not quite sure what that really means in the context of SLP admissions.

I wish that person mentioned which programs accepted him/her, it really was an inspirational post.

From what I've gathered, apparently Stockton accepts people who are already connected to the faculty and not by merit...?

Edited by mystiqueSLP

I am hoping that it is just the stress. I know this process is difficult, but we need to remain positive and supportive of each other. These are your future colleagues! Moreover, none of us can really comment on the inner-workings of any department. What makes a certain school more "political" or not doesn't really matter. Bashing a program because you were waitlisted or rejected just seems like sour grapes. 

I am hoping that it is just the stress. I know this process is difficult, but we need to remain positive and supportive of each other. These are your future colleagues! Moreover, none of us can really comment on the inner-workings of any department. What makes a certain school more "political" or not doesn't really matter. Bashing a program because you were waitlisted or rejected just seems like sour grapes. 

It's fine to be stressed out and upset but being bitter and making assumptions about a program (while implying that others didn't get in because of their achievements) is pretty rude.

I was rejected from nearly all of the programs I applied to and I am upset about it but there were a lot of factors in my rejections. My GPA wasn't as high as it could have been, I needed more in-field experience, this or that could have been better. There were better, more deserving applicants out there or the school didn't have enough room. I'm okay with all of these things. I'll do better next time and that's fine. There's no need for me to bash a program because they didn't accept me.

Also, to apply to a program, get rejected, and then say you got in a "better program anyway" makes me wonder why they applied to that program to begin with. From my time in this forum, it seems like there is no such thing as a "better program".

I just wanted to add that I just saw this post on the results page: "School must be extremely political seeing as I have a 297 and a poster below got in with a 292. Explain that.". Oh my god.

Edited by mystiqueSLP

It's fine to be stressed out and upset but being bitter and making assumptions about a program (while implying that others didn't get in because of their achievements) is pretty rude.

I was rejected from nearly all of the programs I applied to and I am upset about it but there were a lot of factors in my rejections. My GPA wasn't as high as it could have been, I needed more in-field experience, this or that could have been better. There were better, more deserving applicants out there or the school didn't have enough room. I'm okay with all of these things. I'll do better next time and that's fine. There's no need for me to bash a program because they didn't accept me.

Also, to apply to a program, get rejected, and then say you got in a "better program anyway" makes me wonder why they applied to that program to begin with. From my time in this forum, it seems like there is no such thing as a "better program".

I just wanted to add that I just saw this post on the results page: "School must be extremely political seeing as I have a 297 and a poster below got in with a 292. Explain that.". Oh my god.

There is so much wrong with that person's view of the GRE that I don't even know where to begin. :mellow:

And mystique, are you turning down NYU?

There is so much wrong with that person's view of the GRE that I don't even know where to begin. :mellow:

And mystique, are you turning down NYU?

I laughed. Clearly having a GRE score that is 5 points higher than someone else's will get you accepted over them  :P

I'm still waiting to hear back from Montclair so I'm not sure yet. A lot of financial stuff to work out :/ My advisor says I should just close my eyes to the loans and go for it. He says it's a great school and the experience of going to school and working in the city would be a good change of pace for me since I went to a state school. And I guess it wouldn't be impossible to pay back the loans in this field and there are loan forgiveness programs so we'll see.

I'm also visiting NYU this Thursday so hopefully that visit will help me make up my mind!