2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

It would make a huge difference to me. However, I know that they won't have that information for me before Friday. I made a large pros and cons list with my boyfriend and my mother, and it seemed like USF was really tipping the scales. It is a great overall program (though they both are), and the cost makes me much more comfortable.

Ah, another list person!! Yep, I had to make lists too... Sounds like you are going into this with a clear head. You are going to have an awesome time at USF!

Ah, another list person!! Yep, I had to make lists too... Sounds like you are going into this with a clear head. You are going to have an awesome time at USF!

I can't survive without lists! Especially for a decision so huge. I am really happy with my acceptance to USF, and it had been at the top of my mental list throughout the entire process. Now all I need to do is take the plunge and submit my form!

I'm hoping we all have a wonderful few years ahead of us :)

So I guess USF is using the 'leaky faucet' method of sending out acceptances... I'm pretty sure like one person is notified every other day lol. Still waiting.. *drip.....drip....*

I'm so happy for all you guys who have gotten good news! It just makes me want to hear from my last two schools all the more hoping for good news. I havent gotten accepted yet :( but I have hopes still!

I'm so happy for all you guys who have gotten good news! It just makes me want to hear from my last two schools all the more hoping for good news. I havent gotten accepted yet :( but I have hopes still!
I see you are from NY, which schools are you waiting to hear back from if you don't mind me asking?

Same here. three waitlists and two rejections myself... three to go but expecting similar decisions at this point. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Edited by slpdream

As someone who lives in Florida now (from NY) and went to USF now going to NSU... it's totally worth it. It's beautiful and I would die if I had to move out of state.

Same here. three waitlists and two rejections myself... three to go but expecting similar decisions at this point. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Have hope, no news could very possibly be good news!

Today, my prof was talking to me about how crazy this whole admissions process is, and how lots of qualified applicants still get rejected.  

She said  (in all seriousness) that my rejection from my alma mater was probably because "The interviewer has indigestion during my interview", or because I "reminded my interviewer of her ex-sis-in-law/frenemy/etc.", or because I "was wearing the interviewer's least-favorite color".

This makes me so upset, especially for people who have limited options for schools >:( 

Does anyone know what happens if we have already fulfilled the undergrad equivalent of a grad course at a university?

For example, USC has a lot of courses under their course of study that I have already taken (ex: speech science). I would not want to have to take all of these courses AGAIN at the graduate level. Is that what they're expecting?

Does anyone know what happens if we have already fulfilled the undergrad equivalent of a grad course at a university?

For example, USC has a lot of courses under their course of study that I have already taken (ex: speech science). I would not want to have to take all of these courses AGAIN at the graduate level. Is that what they're expecting?

As far as I know, at the graduate level, it's a much more in depth look at those classes. I have also taken speech science, and wouldn't want to take it again. But from what professors told me, the undergrad level just skims the surface. So hopefully it will be new material. For both of our sakes haha.

As far as I know, at the graduate level, it's a much more in depth look at those classes. I have also taken speech science, and wouldn't want to take it again. But from what professors told me, the undergrad level just skims the surface. So hopefully it will be new material. For both of our sakes haha.

True. USC doesn't have an undergrad program (only a minor), so it seems that their M.S. program is designed to give them the info that they missed during undergrad. However, there are a LOT of classes that I would be expected to take at the graduate level, and the tuition seems quite steep for taking classes again! I wasn't sure if this was normal protocol. 

True. USC doesn't have an undergrad program (only a minor), so it seems that their M.S. program is designed to give them the info that they missed during undergrad. However, there are a LOT of classes that I would be expected to take at the graduate level, and the tuition seems quite steep for taking classes again! I wasn't sure if this was normal protocol. 

My guess would be that they would review the syllabi for the courses you've taken, and hopefully some you could skip out on and others you may have to take.  I've heard mixed things on this from schools because I took a wide range of leveling courses in order to satisfy all my schools.  So, now, I have taken some of the courses already that I may "need" to take at grad school.  I would maybe ask them how they handle that?

Waitlisted at USF! I'm just glad to hear something by now. Completed my writing sample for San Francisco State today, google+ interview tomorrow! I need a nap.

Congrats! You are almost at the end of your journey, I can feel it. Especially since you already have great feelings about FSU. :)

I'm paranoid about USC. I applied for Fall and Boyett emailed me and told me I can't do Fall because I am out of field and to respond if she should switch it to Summer. I responded, and after a few weeks, I asked for confirmation and she said that "they'll change it when they review it" or something (I cant remember/find the email). Im not sure if this is affecting anything and I want to email her but I dont want to be annoying and idk what I should go and I'm freaking out :/. advice?

I'm paranoid about USC. I applied for Fall and Boyett emailed me and told me I can't do Fall because I am out of field and to respond if she should switch it to Summer. I responded, and after a few weeks, I asked for confirmation and she said that "they'll change it when they review it" or something (I cant remember/find the email). Im not sure if this is affecting anything and I want to email her but I dont want to be annoying and idk what I should go and I'm freaking out :/. advice?

all my stuff still says Fall 2013

I also had to change my start date when I applied for USC - at first she thought I'd be summer II since I had the first two pre-reqs but not artic disorders... then she discovered that observation hrs (which I also didn't have) go the WHOLE summer so she had to go back in and change my app to summer I.  She said that it would show online the semester change once my application was reviewed and if I got accepted (etc).  I have since accepted another offer, so I took myself off the waitlist.  But yes, they will make sure you start during the right semester.  :-)