2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

Just got accepted to UNC-CH off the waitlist. WOW I am floored. I thought my decision was made already!!!!!! must talk to my mom! (mom if you're reading this, I'll call you after class haha)

You are going to love Chapel Hill... Or Chapel Thrill, as we lovingly called it! Congrats on all your choices!!

Just got accepted to UNC-CH off the waitlist. WOW I am floored. I thought my decision was made already!!!!!! must talk to my mom! (mom if you're reading this, I'll call you after class haha)

Congrats AMarie! :)

Has anyone who accepted at USF received a USF e-mail address?

no, i havent. also is there a deposit? i haven't been asked to pay anything yet.

Nope no deposit at all!

Oh gosh. I was hoping a deposit would mean that it would be harder for me to change my mind and switch to UNC. I'm just totally lost right now. I did not think my GPA was good enough for UNC so I hadn't really considered it as a real possibility- only a wish!!!!  any advice???? 

Edited by AMarie

Oh gosh. I was hoping a deposit would mean that it would be harder for me to change my mind and switch to UNC. I'm just totally lost right now. I did not think my GPA was good enough for UNC so I hadn't really considered it as a real possibility- only a wish!!!! any advice????

Well I think there's a lot to consider! Why was UNCs program so great for you? It it aligns with your interests, that's a plus. Even though I applied there, they don't have a focus on hearing loss/cochlear implants. Also, is the cost any different? Do you plan to practice in NC afterwards? NC has very different requirements than most other states- our advisors have strongly cautioned us to be careful with NC and transferring certification.

Either way, I'm sure you'll make a great decision!

NC license requirements to work in schools are strict- sixty credit hours or more, etc... But you can easily transfer your certification to any other state with the reciprocating license agreement (at least thirty states in that agreement) once you earn your masters and even before you do your CFY. Once you have your C's you can work in pretty much any state, no worries. I love Chapel Hill. There are a ton of varied clinic placements, the medical is second to none, and you can get GREAT medical placements if you want them. Also the school district of Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools, and even Orange County Schools, are becoming one of the most respected school districts in the whole southeast of the US. Parking is horrendous, the professors think very highly of their program, etc, and it sets you up for whatever you want, whether you just want to work as a clinician, go for PhD, research, etc. PM if you have specific questions about Chapel HIll! I did my undergrad in music and my teaching masters there and loved it. :-)

The cost is comparable to USF- it's about 2 thousand a semester more but in the grand scheme of things that's not too bad...

Their requirements are a little weirder- there's no actual letter grades and I have also heard that transferring certification is a little more challenging. Not impossible- just not the easiest. That does make me a little hesitant because eventually I really would like to live in Florida. So my internal thought process is, why not just cut out NC and go straight to FL? that's why I liked USF in the first place haha. And after visiting USF and loving it...

My interests are so varied- I can see myself working with a lot of different populations. I got into the SLP field originally through taking ASL classes and learning about hearing loss and Cochlear implants. USF in my opinion is a little stronger in that area. But UNC also has clinical opportunities in that area also and they have a really strong Audiology department to collaborate with. In addition I like that UNC has a focus on Craniofacial disorders....I'm also interested in acute care working with people with TBIs, strokes, burn victims, etc.....I'm just interested in everything! I don't know what I want so that makes it hard. 

The cost is comparable to USF- it's about 2 thousand a semester more but in the grand scheme of things that's not too bad...

Their requirements are a little weirder- there's no actual letter grades and I have also heard that transferring certification is a little more challenging. Not impossible- just not the easiest. That does make me a little hesitant because eventually I really would like to live in Florida. So my internal thought process is, why not just cut out NC and go straight to FL? that's why I liked USF in the first place haha. And after visiting USF and loving it...

My interests are so varied- I can see myself working with a lot of different populations. I got into the SLP field originally through taking ASL classes and learning about hearing loss and Cochlear implants. USF in my opinion is a little stronger in that area. But UNC also has clinical opportunities in that area also and they have a really strong Audiology department to collaborate with. In addition I like that UNC has a focus on Craniofacial disorders....I'm also interested in acute care working with people with TBIs, strokes, burn victims, etc.....I'm just interested in everything! I don't know what I want so that makes it hard.

I would also agree that if you plan to live in Florida, it certainly makes it easier to get your degree there.

Did UNC give you a deadline to decide? It may be beneficial to make a pro/con list to weigh your options. Sometimes it makes it just a little more clear!

Honestly I think if you want to live in Florida after grad school then it is much easier to just go ahead and attend USF. By the looks of it, you seem pretty happy with both schools and they both seem like great programs. But in the end I have always heard that it is best to attend a grad school where you want to end up living because that is where you will make most of your connections to get your first job. Plus with speech pathology you have to worry about getting certified in the state you want to live in too, and if you are already attending a school in Florida, you won't have to worry about trying to get those credentials after you graduate.

But the choice is completely up to you! Congrats on having such good programs to chose from! :)

"If you check your N-You portal there's a section on the left that has items listed and checked off like application complete, application ready for review and there's one that says "my decision is ready". If that's checked off, then go to the application. Hit view application and if you scroll to the bottom, there will be a link that says "your decision is ready to view" (something like that). When you clicked that link, it took you to your decision letter. Then there was no notification that it was changed, I just randomly looked and the decision date was changed. When I clicked the new link, it said that I was accepted"

Should I make an n you account? Is there even a point if you just go to the application (applyyourself site) anyway? I'm so lost :(

"If you check your N-You portal there's a section on the left that has items listed and checked off like application complete, application ready for review and there's one that says "my decision is ready". If that's checked off, then go to the application. Hit view application and if you scroll to the bottom, there will be a link that says "your decision is ready to view" (something like that). When you clicked that link, it took you to your decision letter. Then there was no notification that it was changed, I just randomly looked and the decision date was changed. When I clicked the new link, it said that I was accepted"

Should I make an n you account? Is there even a point if you just go to the application (applyyourself site) anyway? I'm so lost :(

You honestly don't need to create the account. It won't redirect you or anything like that. I would just keep checking your application account because that will be faster. Just keep holding on, I'm sure you'll find something out soon!

Soo being that today is the 16th and seems to be "waitlist" day...should I contact my waitlist schools tomorrow to check on my status? Or should I just continue to be as patient as possible and wait to see if they send me something? I'm pretty much nauseous w/ anticipation :wacko:

UNC has a recording of the admitted students info session - ask Ina for it if she didn't already give it to you.  It was really helpful to watch it. 

For anyone who wants to work in New York but isn't going to school there (I feel like there was a thread about this but I can't remember where) i got an email from State Ed saying that once you have your NY state license as a speech pathologist you can get the necessary teaching certification (TSSLD) after a few seminar type things.  No extra pedagogical courses or anything. 

I also emailed the UFT certification and licensing advisor, and he said that the state is changing ALL the certification requirements in May 2014 and they don't know what will happen after that.

Hi There! This is my first time posting -- I usually just creep around on the message boards because you all have such amazingly helpful advice and are so supportive. Matrixgrl09, I just wanted to let you know that I have heard nothing from Northeastern as well! I did just log into the N You Portal (just got the link by Googling it) and you can just use the username and password you use for the Apply Yourself website, but it still said that my decision wasn't ready (which was also reflected on the Apply Yourself website). Hope that helps and I hope we hear something soon!

Edited by jabird

Hi There! This is my first time posting -- I usually just creep around on the message boards because you all have such amazingly helpful advice and are so supportive. Matrixgrl09, I just wanted to let you know that I have heard nothing from Northeastern as well! I did just log into the N You Portal (just got the link by Googling it) and you can just use the username and password you use for the Apply Yourself website, but it still said that my decision wasn't ready (which was also reflected on the Apply Yourself website). Hope that helps and I hope we hear something soon!

thank you for this! but my n you log in info is different than my applyyourself one, so i cant get in. i guess ill just wait for apply yourself to update or for the postal service. ugh! good luck!!!

I have a lot of questions here. Is anyone willing to help me? First of all, it's my second year applying and I'm on 3 wait lists...same as last year. My problem is that I don't know what to do next year if I don't get in. I currently live in Wisconsin and desperately want to move to St. Louis. There's a university down there that has a masters in special Ed program where you can earn your initial teachers certification too. The problem is, do I really want to do special Ed? I'm tried of waiting to get into a grad program for speech. Does anyone have any comments on special Ed? Another possibility is that I could take another year off and try to improve my GRE scores and then reapply, but what are the possibilities of getting in next year? I was also looking into applying for spring admission but I'm not too quite certain on how competitive they are. In simpler words, do I move to St. Louis and earn my masters in special Ed or do I continue living in a city I hate and at a job i despise and wait until I get into school for speech?

I have a lot of questions here. Is anyone willing to help me? First of all, it's my second year applying and I'm on 3 wait lists...same as last year. My problem is that I don't know what to do next year if I don't get in. I currently live in Wisconsin and desperately want to move to St. Louis. There's a university down there that has a masters in special Ed program where you can earn your initial teachers certification too. The problem is, do I really want to do special Ed? I'm tried of waiting to get into a grad program for speech. Does anyone have any comments on special Ed? Another possibility is that I could take another year off and try to improve my GRE scores and then reapply, but what are the possibilities of getting in next year? I was also looking into applying for spring admission but I'm not too quite certain on how competitive they are. In simpler words, do I move to St. Louis and earn my masters in special Ed or do I continue living in a city I hate and at a job i despise and wait until I get into school for speech?

I'm a little confused...do you want to go to school for speech path or special Ed right now?

I can't answer the question of whether or not special ed is right for you, but some schools are really generous with funding and tuition assistance for those pursuing special ed. Also, if you were to complete a master's in SPED and get some work experience under your belt, it would possibly be beneficial for you if you decided to apply to SLP programs again in the future.

And I think you may have already discussed this elsewhere, but if there's any way for you to boost your GRE, I think that would help your app quite a lot and you'd have a much better chance of getting into an SLP program next year.

Best of luck!

I accepted at UNC Chapel Hill and declined SUNY New Paltz.  It was a hard decision! Hopefully will help someone out on the waitlist.

Same!! All my teachers gave me a hard time today haha. I think a change will be good for me though. New Paltz is awesome and the faculty are so warm and interesting.

The problem is, do I really want to do special Ed? I'm tried of waiting to get into a grad program for speech. Does anyone have any comments on special Ed? 

I just finished my school placement (LOVED it) and worked closely with some of the sped teachers. I'm in Mass for school (but obvi am from CA) so can only really give you info about it here (and more specifically in my district as it can differ).

My school had both inclusion programs and substantially separate classrooms. The inclusion programs have two teachers, one regular ed, one with a special ed degree. The kids in that class range from typical "model" students to kids who are on IEPs, need various degrees of help but are not low enough to be in separate classrooms. The special ed teachers in that classroom work with all of the kids but during some instruction (depending on the IEPs of the kids, in my school it was typically during reading/writing and math) they pull specific kids into smaller groups. Those kids still do the same stuff but at a slower pace/in a smaller group. But the classroom is mainstream so it has a very different feel to it.

There are also classes that cater to the kids who need to be in substantially separate rooms. Obviously it varies from district to district but without giving too much info away about where I was there were classes for kids who were  cognitively lower and classes for kids who had emotional difficulties that significantly impacted school work. Those teachers had 2 aids in the class with them and about 5-8 kids total. It is a very different environment as you would be working with kids who have significant special needs all day. The kids needs will vary significantly and teaching obviously has to be catered to each individual child. The kids in both types of classes will have complex and significant case histories that will impact their learning, personality, attendance etc. Mass. has an alternative version of the state testing (idk about CA or other schools) that the classroom teachers are in charge of (it is a very extensive portfolio of work). As a teacher you are still required to teach about specific topics and prove that your kids have learned what is necessary.

As an SLP in  a school (unless you are at a school that is 100% special needs) you get a lot of variety in your case load. This means that while you will work with the kids in the substantially separate classrooms you will also be working with kids who have different and often much less complicated issues. While I loved working with the kids in the substantially separate classes (I got a big card and group hug on my last day and they were almost ALWAYS excited to see me) they were my most exhausting cases. It is difficult because the progress you see (and you do see progress) is slow and you know they probably will be receiving services for a majority of their life (especially the kids who are not cog. typical) . It can be a little disheartening and very exhausting. You have to be ON 100% of the time with them (note: this is not to say you can 1/2 booty the other kids but they do tend to take less stringent focus) which can be VERY draining.  What I found is that as much as it is related to SLP it is very different.

Idk what you are thinking in terms of your next steps. I think that re-taking the GRE and continuing to up you credentials as much as possible is a good idea (volunteer, take classes in SLP if you have not already and in related fields if you have a background etc.) I would also suggest shadowing a sped teacher for a day. You will want to see the ins and outs of the job because it is pretty different from SLP. There is also no harm in applying to sped programs and SLP programs next year, just be sure you would be happy in either profession. Best of luck either way!

Has anyone heard from WCU about second round? I can't wait any longer it's killing me! I just wish I knew bad or good. Should I call or email or wait even longer?

Has anyone heard from WCU about second round? I can't wait any longer it's killing me! I just wish I knew bad or good. Should I call or email or wait even longer?

I'm in the same boat...have been thinking about giving them a call all morning.