2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

Thanks! It's my alma mater - Edinboro University and the offer came with a PT assistantship position.

Now I just need to figure out financials and living arrangements.

Exciting!!!  congrats!!

I'm pledged and decided on my school, but holding out hope that when the GA's and the Research grants are awarded over the summer, I will get one.. we shall see!! :-)

Hey guys! I need help. I have to reapply ahhh

I'm looking for two specific classes that I can take online and I'm having issues finding schools that offer them. "Audiological Rehabilitation" and "Language Disorders." I just want/need to have those two classes down by Summer 2014. Does anyone know any programs? UF won't have them by summer 2014, usf told me they arent available for non-degree seeking student, fsu appears to only have an online masters program (and these are undergrad courses). im currently looking into utah state. i know they have audio rehab.

help? thank you :)

I'm looking for two specific classes that I can take online and I'm having issues finding schools that offer them. "Audiological Rehabilitation" and "Language Disorders." I just want/need to have those two classes down by Summer 2014. Does anyone know any programs? UF won't have them by summer 2014, usf told me they arent available for non-degree seeking student, fsu appears to only have an online masters program (and these are undergrad courses). im currently looking into utah state. i know they have audio rehab.

Eastern New Mexico has both of those classes in online format. I would definitely check into it.

Good luck!!

Nevada State College offers both of those classes online.  NSC is cheap, about $150 per credit for out of state students.  

Edited by Dibbels81

Congrats slpdream!

Thanks!

Exciting!!!  congrats!!

I'm pledged and decided on my school, but holding out hope that when the GA's and the Research grants are awarded over the summer, I will get one.. we shall see!! :-)

Thank you...I hope you do get a GA spot! Mine is not very much, but every little bit helps.

ENMU does have them (that's where I took them), the AR class was actually really good, but like all online classes you get out what you put in. The LD was kinda meh... I know it's just more money, but I really loved the Speech-Language assessment course, since you are reapplying it might help to have 1-2 more just to really show that you are committed to master the material. 

Good luck, I'll be rooting for you this coming fall spring!

Figured I'd post this for everyone since I know many of you are taking courses through USU this summer and I just got approval for my discount:

http://online.usu.edu/discount

It allows you to get a discount on one course for half off tuition if it's your first semester at USU...only caveat is your tuition needs to be paid by May 23rd. It's worth it to get $400+ back into your bank account! Hope this helps some of you out!

You're welcome! Hopefully it helps some others out too!

I'm actually in 5: A&P of the Speech Mechanism, Phonetics, Acoustics, Intro to Audiology, and Speech Science.

did anyone get into teachers college of columbia u?

I know katieliz and a few other posters did. I also visited the program/was going to apply, if you have any questions :)

i just wanna know the stats of people who got in is all :)

I actually may be mistaken- I know katieliz was waitlisted, but I'm unsure if she ever heard back or not. 

Anyone else still hanging around on a waitlist? 

I just confirmed that my waitlist spot is still active, but they don't anticipate accepting any more folks from it. I was advised to defer my active application to spring, so I am! Good luck to all, see you next semester as we wait again...

Ummmmm so the impossible just happened.  I got off the waitlist for Wisconsin-Madison!

I couldn't be happier, but I'm already signed up for classes at Milwaukee...met with an advisor, registered, the whole shazam. 

I'm leaning towards the position at Madison (but only if my stafford loan would transfer over...)...what do I do about Milwaukee?  The people there were so nice and I really like it there, but I really like Madison too and it would mean not having to move (or at least only within Madison itself). 

Help?  :'( 

Ummmmm so the impossible just happened.  I got off the waitlist for Wisconsin-Madison!

I couldn't be happier, but I'm already signed up for classes at Milwaukee...met with an advisor, registered, the whole shazam. 

I'm leaning towards the position at Madison (but only if my stafford loan would transfer over...)...what do I do about Milwaukee?  The people there were so nice and I really like it there, but I really like Madison too and it would mean not having to move (or at least only within Madison itself). 

Help?  :'( 

Congratulations on your acceptance to UW Madison! I think it's perfectly understandable to want to switch. And it might mean that a student on the Milwaukee waitlist will be very happy to take your spot! It is difficult to turn down an offer once you have built a relationship with advisors, but you need to do what's best for you. Once you have made your decision and if you decide to attend UW, you should contact your adviser at Milwaukee (I think phone or in person might be more appropriate than email) and explain your situation. He or she will tell you the next steps, and if you feel guilty reneging you can always cite geographic location as a reason - not wanting to move is always fair.

Good luck with your decision!

Congrats, badgerina!

First, I'd make sure the loan will transfer.

The professors at UW-Milwaukee are all understanding.  We were told that last year, admission was offered to a student the day before orientation because another student had vacated his/her spot.

From what I can tell, both schools have comparable PRAXIS pass rates, graduation rates, and job placement rates.

It all comes down to what you are looking to gain from your grad school experience and which school fits you the best.  The two cities are two completely different cultures.

I don't know if you are planning on doing a thesis or not.  If you are, I can tell you a little bit more about the professors at UW-Milwaukee and their areas of research interest.

Oh I definitely talked with financial aid before I accepted the spot.  Basically all graduate students are eligible for the giant Stafford loan (which is all I got). 

I'm from Milwaukee and have been living in Madison for awhile so I'm aware of what both cities are like. 

Basically the decision came down to:

Madison: We don't have to move.  Husband doesn't have to find a new job (full time jobs with benefits are hard to come by nowadays...). Love the area.  Excellent program.  Would also save me a summer's worth of tuition.

Milwaukee: Change would have been nice.  Excellent program.  City is great, only a little boring to me since I grew up there. 

Both will get me a good degree and a job placement.  Both cities have excellent externship opportunities. 

The only disadvantage to Madison is that there is one clinical advisor who I find to be just terrible (ok just really annoying)...but making my decision on that is stupid, as every place has someone who is annoying.  However, logistics wise, me and my husband agreed that Madison is the better choice.

I just still have to write the email to Dr. Seery today.  :'(