2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

I'm thrilled for you!

THANK YOU!  I honestly cannot believe how fortunate I am.  I am over the moon with excitement!  I just have to buckle down and make a decision now.....  Are you any closer to a choice yet?!  Having choices is so great, but it's also stressful to make such a big decision!!

THANK YOU!  I honestly cannot believe how fortunate I am.  I am over the moon with excitement!  I just have to buckle down and make a decision now.....  Are you any closer to a choice yet?!  Having choices is so great, but it's also stressful to make such a big decision!!

I'm holding off on any real decision until I visit Boulder on April 5, but I'm basically 97.2813% (exact calculations) sure I'm going with Boulder. My husband and I have been wanting to move to Colorado for the last 10 years or so, and the time is finally here!

Good luck with your choice! I know that wherever you go will be great.

I'm holding off on any real decision until I visit Boulder on April 5, but I'm basically 97.2813% (exact calculations) sure I'm going with Boulder. My husband and I have been wanting to move to Colorado for the last 10 years or so, and the time is finally here!

Good luck with your choice! I know that wherever you go will be great.

I bet your visit will confirm that to 100%!  Sounds like you getting into CU was the perfect sign that you two can finally make the move!!  Good luck with the visit!!!

Well I was pretty confident that Radford would still be my decision, now I have no idea. My mom was checking out the website and it seems like I can participate in a Midwest tuition program that will save me over 30k! :o  I have no idea how I could have missed this when I applied!!!

So Omaha is actually looking very good now, which really makes me torn because I LOVED the Radford area when I visited. Omaha does not look like the greatest town and the area around the university may be a little sketchy. Of course I have not visited the area yet and will probably do so this weekend. There is also the fact that I gave Radford my official acceptance in the mail Thursday as well as mailed off my application to an apartment with a non-refundable fee :rolleyes: Oops.

And to think I thought this stressful process was almost over.

Haven't written too much lately but I've been keeping up with everyone - I've been thrilled with every acceptance I read about and I'm still praying for everyone who is still waiting to find out what their next year will hold.... 

As for me, I attended UNC's admitted students meeting and loved every minute - until they talked about financial aid.  They don't have TAs and the only training grant they have right now is not available to non-Americans.  Basically, it felt like all my hopes were dashed.  Borrowing something like $70,000 to go to school just felt like a non-option. That was really tough, because that would be the easiest option (considering I live a mile from campus right now.)

BUT.... I got an email from the chair of admissions at McGill (which is in Montreal, for anyone who hasn't heard of it) and I've been recommended for nomination to their program, so I am 90% sure right now that I will be moving back to Quebec this summer.  Since I'm still technically a Quebec resident, tuition is almost 1/10 the cost. The thought of moving is terrifying, but I'm actually pretty excited because their program is amazing and their primary research interests are bilingualism and neurogenics. Regardless though, I've lived in the US since I was 10 years old and never imagined I would be moving back so this is still pretty scary.... for what it's worth, I'll essentially be immigrating to a new country and if I ever want to come back to live close to my parents and brothers, I'll have to find a job, sponsorship, apply for certification through ASHA, etc

But that's okay! 

Trying to stay optimistic and just be grateful I even have a cheaper option. Making big changes is what grad school is all about right!? And money I will be saving will make it very worth it in the end, or so I am hoping.

junowhat, congrats on McGill! That sounds like a wonderful opportunity, even if the logistics are a bit daunting right now.

Thank you! It really is an amazing opportunity. I just need to treat this all as a big adventure and have faith that things always happen for a reason :) It's tough, but I can do that.

Thank you! It really is an amazing opportunity. I just need to treat this all as a big adventure and have faith that things always happen for a reason :) It's tough, but I can do that.

Absolutely.

It doesn't hurt that Montreal is a gorgeous and vibrant city and McGill is a fantastic school all around!

Bonne chance!

Well I was pretty confident that Radford would still be my decision, now I have no idea. My mom was checking out the website and it seems like I can participate in a Midwest tuition program that will save me over 30k! :o  I have no idea how I could have missed this when I applied!!!

So Omaha is actually looking very good now, which really makes me torn because I LOVED the Radford area when I visited. Omaha does not look like the greatest town and the area around the university may be a little sketchy. Of course I have not visited the area yet and will probably do so this weekend. There is also the fact that I gave Radford my official acceptance in the mail Thursday as well as mailed off my application to an apartment with a non-refundable fee :rolleyes: Oops.

And to think I thought this stressful process was almost over.

I know how you feel, Tay.  I had, up until now, pretty much committed to going to Columbia.  The thought of NYC is a bit scary, though exciting at the same time... I even started looking at apartments and different neighborhoods, etc., when Emerson called to say they'd awarded me a $20,000 fellowship.  So now, with the difference in tuition and the fellowship added in, I'd also save something like 30k overall.  What was originally an easy decision has now become much more difficult!

Of course, I don't mean to sound ungrateful and we should be very thankful to be in such a position.  Still, I wish an obvious choice would present itself.

Somewhat confused. Someone posted an acceptance from USF from today, but another poster received an email saying that if we have not heard, we are waitlisted and will know more after April 15.

What!!

Did anyone who applied to USF receive any confirmation of their application, aside from the one saying it had been referred to the department?

Edited by jmarti37

I know how you feel, Tay.  I had, up until now, pretty much committed to going to Columbia.  The thought of NYC is a bit scary, though exciting at the same time... I even started looking at apartments and different neighborhoods, etc., when Emerson called to say they'd awarded me a $20,000 fellowship.  So now, with the difference in tuition and the fellowship added in, I'd also save something like 30k overall.  What was originally an easy decision has now become much more difficult!

Of course, I don't mean to sound ungrateful and we should be very thankful to be in such a position.  Still, I wish an obvious choice would present itself.

Congrats on the fellowship! I've decided on Emerson because of the fellowship they offered me...my top choice was MGH, but I'll be saving about 40,000 by going to Emerson. I think the questions you have to ask yourself are: is Columbia's program worth an extra 30K? Will Columbia get you to a place in your career that Emerson will not? For me, those questions were no for MGH.

Since I've decided on Emerson and started to do more research about their program, I'm starting to feel really good about it. And I'm not gonna lie...I like their personal touch. MGH sent out a mass email today to all of its accepted students, thanking them for attending the open house. From Emerson, though, I got a personalized email from one of the student ambassadors thanking me for visiting. She's was super nice and I got to ask her some questions too.

Good luck with your decision. This whole process is difficult from start to end, but thankfully it will be over pretty soon.

Somewhat confused. Someone posted an acceptance from USF from today, but another poster received an email saying that if we have not heard, we are waitlisted and will know more after April 15.

What!!

Did anyone who applied to USF receive any confirmation of their application, aside from the one saying it had been referred to the department?

They might have just posted it today although they found out days or weeks ago. I think some people stumble upon the results page and update after the fact ;)

They might have just posted it today although they found out days or weeks ago. I think some people stumble upon the results page and update after the fact ;)

Ah, good point. Very good point indeed! Have you made any decisions as to where you want to go yet?

Accepted to University of Alabama! I have no idea how to make a decision....

Me too! I'll be attending, since it's my undergrad program and i'm in state it's the best option for me. Feel free to contact me with any questions!

What!!

jmarti, slpdream, and others - I am really cheering for you guys this week! Hang in there!

Just wanted to say thanks! :)  It's nice to have encouragement from people who know how competitive this major is!

I'm an idiot. I just emailed a department head to ask about decisions, and used their first name instead of last...as in Dr. First Name. I realized as soon as I had sent it..and promptly sent an apology but...yay for making an arse out of myself. I'm ready for this to be over.

I'm an idiot. I just emailed a department head to ask about decisions, and used their first name instead of last...as in Dr. First Name. I realized as soon as I had sent it..and promptly sent an apology but...yay for making an arse out of myself. I'm ready for this to be over.

Don't sweat it. I'm sure they understand how frazzled we all are.

Received some good news from my target school, CSU Los Angeles.. Although I'm waiting on one more school (and a waitlist), I feel relieved because this was my goal from the very beginning.. So grateful for the opportunity and I'm really quite overwhelmed! Wishing nothing but the best for everyone out there.. Just remember, our goals are within eyeshot but the paths leading there are never straight..

Received some good news from my target school, CSU Los Angeles.. Although I'm waiting on one more school (and a waitlist), I feel relieved because this was my goal from the very beginning.. So grateful for the opportunity and I'm really quite overwhelmed!Wishing nothing but the best for everyone out there.. Just remember, our goals are within eyeshot but the paths leading there are never straight..

Congrats!!!