2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

It's not school-related, unfortunately. It's a wonderful summer internship opportunity (SLP related, too!) that is an EXCELLENT experience. It's super competitive, and I was told today that we would know tomorrow. :)

That sounds wonderful! I really hope that you can have that opportunity.

Thank you for the update!  I've been patiently waiting - slow-burn anxiety, but better than going crazy.

I still don't have my hopes up, as I wasn't invited to the interview day, but I'm not letting it die out completely until I get that rejection letter.

Here's hoping we'll know by this time next week!

chellinchen, I was wondering if you had heard from St. Cloud yet. Good luck to you and the others who are waiting!

Dshenge and Tay, I'm so sorry that those schools' screw-ups have affected you. :(

jmarti: Good luck!

If you haven't already, are y'all planning to officially join NSSLHA?

I'm a member of my undergrad's NSSLHA chapter, but I haven't found it necessary to join the national organization yet.  I'm trying to figure out how important this will be for grad students...

If you haven't already, are y'all planning to officially join NSSLHA?

I'm a member of my undergrad's NSSLHA chapter, but I haven't found it necessary to join the national organization yet.  I'm trying to figure out how important this will be for grad students...

I am planning to join both the national org and my state chapter. You get discounts on full ASHA dues after graduation if you have been a student member, from what I have been told. Plus you go to the state or national conferences. I did the collegiate level of my music educators organization back in college and I would not have done any differently looking back on it- the experiences I got through that were priceless. It is highly encouraged by the school I am planning to attend as well as everywhere I visited and applied.

Thanks, kcald! I think our student membership will pretty much pay for itself from the discounted ASHA dues and discounted conference fees, but I wasn't really sure what else the benefits would be. I guess it wouldn't hurt, right?! :)  

I am planning to join both the national org and my state chapter. You get discounts on full ASHA dues after graduation if you have been a student member, from what I have been told. Plus you go to the state or national conferences. I did the collegiate level of my music educators organization back in college and I would not have done any differently looking back on it- the experiences I got through that were priceless. It is highly encouraged by the school I am planning to attend as well as everywhere I visited and applied.

This will probably sound like a dumb question but do you need to join the state chapter before joining the national org? There isn't one for my undergrad institution so I don't think I can join my state chapter organization..

This will probably sound like a dumb question but do you need to join the state chapter before joining the national org? There isn't one for my undergrad institution so I don't think I can join my state chapter organization..

I don't know about other states, but I have to send in for all three: NC's organization, NSSLHA, and ASHA (student). The NC one isn't tied to the institution.

I don't think so, at least for most states! I think you can join any/all of the organizations (University, State, National), and I think there are typically benefits if you join more than one.  The state chapter puts on some smaller, interesting events and conferences that might be more do-able for students than the annual, national events :) 

I don't think so, at least for most states! I think you can join any/all of the organizations (University, State, National), and I think there are typically benefits if you join more than one.  The state chapter puts on some smaller, interesting events and conferences that might be more do-able for students than the annual, national events :)

Thanks! I would really like to join the state chapter one but there isn't one for my undergrad and I don't know where I'm going for grad school so I guess I'll have to wait for now. Are you part of the national organization now?

I joined NSSLHA last year, and it's been invaluable. I went to ASHA 2012, which was a great learning experience, and access to the ASHA journals helped me write so many papers while completing my post-bacc.

I have big news coming tomorrow. Either way, wish me luck!

I'm hoping for the best for you!!!!!!!!! super good luck...every school would be lucky to have someone as passionate as you in their program :)

HI, all, new to this whole process, as you might be able to tell from the date!!

I have applied to Eastern In Michigan; though the initial application was in by Jan 15, the rest took a while (had to re-take GRE because of being older, career-changing student), and the SLP department received my application last week. Do you think I still have a chance at a fall 2013 admission? If I don't make it for the fall, any advice? Try for Winter 2013?

Thanks!

HI, all, new to this whole process, as you might be able to tell from the date!!

I have applied to Eastern In Michigan; though the initial application was in by Jan 15, the rest took a while (had to re-take GRE because of being older, career-changing student), and the SLP department received my application last week. Do you think I still have a chance at a fall 2013 admission? If I don't make it for the fall, any advice? Try for Winter 2013?

Thanks!

Regarding your first question that all depends. Did Eastern know you were going to submit your GRE scores late, and did they pre-approve it? If so then I would say that you would still have a chance insofar as they will consider your application. And if the late submission of some materials was deemed okay, they probably won't count it against you, at least not significantly. If you don't make it this cycle there are many things you can do. But the most important thing would be to improve your application somehow, especially because the application process is so competitive. If you haven't already take pre-recs, get involved in research, do related volunteer work etc. You can do this and re-apply for Winter (many schools DO have a winter/spring cycle that may or may not be less competitive). But you should also try to expand your list of schools. I went a little crazy my year and applied to 9. My GRE and GPA were good (but GPA was in field and came from a top tier school which may have helped a little) but not stellar so I felt the need to better my chances. I got into 3, wait listed and 3 and rejected from 3. 

Best of luck this round and welcome to the boards! 

I WAS JUST ACCEPTED TO USF!!!! This is actually the happiest moment of my life. I cried tears of joy. Thank you all for supporting me through this time. It means so much. 

Congrats jmarti37!! 

I WAS JUST ACCEPTED TO USF!!!! This is actually the happiest moment of my life. I cried tears of joy. Thank you all for supporting me through this time. It means so much.

Congrats jmarti! I'm very happy for you, and wish you the best next year!

YAY JMARTI!!!! Now maybe a spot for usc will open up for me....*laughs hysterically* *cries*

Omg I am hoping so much for you that USC brings you good news. I still haven't received a second letter from them, so there's still a chance that yours is coming. :)

YESSSSS! Congrats! Watch out, you may even end up with a few choices!