2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

Good luck, mystique! I think that whatever you ultimately decide will be the best decision for you, but it's reassuring to hear that NYU has a great program.

I have full confidence that if you reapply next year, something good will come your way, too.

Good luck, mystique! I think that whatever you ultimately decide will be the best decision for you, but it's reassuring to hear that NYU has a great program.

I have full confidence that if you reapply next year, something good will come your way, too.

Thank you! I feel like it's a huge risk to reapply again so I'm trying to avoid that route as much as possible.

I'm sure this has already been asked (and answered), but can anyone tell me of a neuroanatomy course that is offered online over the summer?

(side note- I feel like my undergrad degree in SLP is totally useless if I still have to take a leveling course. Seriously what even was the point? UVA literally doesn't offer that class.)

I'm doing mine with Eastern New Mexico University...which I know is random but the administration has been super helpful and they're the cheapest one I could find. The application is free (it's more like you just put your name on the application for CDIS Leveler, send them your transcript, and you're in). All of the summer courses are billed with in-state tuition, so according to my calculation from what they have online, the total cost of a 3 credit course is around $550.  but it's better than other ones I found that cost more like $1500. 

Longwood University also has a program- according to their website registration for the Neuroanatomy course begins April 8 (and you have to apply a little bit before so you have a student account set up), although elsewhere I saw that their course registration was open March 30...and it says that 3 of 10 people are already signed up. So that made me sort of confused but Longwood's program is a little more expensive anyway so I really didn't look into it. 

JMarti, did the neuro course you're in now not fulfill USF's requirements? Because I feel like every acceptance e-mail that USF sent out must have had that warning in it- They must just get a lot of kids (like me!) who haven't taken it yet so they put a blanket statement out there to everyone. 

I laughed. Clearly having a GRE score that is 5 points higher than someone else's will get you accepted over them  :P   I'm still waiting to hear back from Montclair so I'm not sure yet. A lot of financial stuff to work out :/ My advisor says I should just close my eyes to the loans and go for it. He says it's a great school and the experience of going to school and working in the city would be a good change of pace for me since I went to a state school. And I guess it wouldn't be impossible to pay back the loans in this field and there are loan forgiveness programs so we'll see.   I'm also visiting NYU this Thursday so hopefully that visit will help me make up my mind!
Your NYU advisor says loans are no problem, right? Have you thought about reapplying to some of the CUNY schools next year? I don't know about SLP, but in most of the education field, a degree from Hunter College can be as valuable as a degree from NYU (at least in the northeast, The NYU name travels better nationally). I have a TESOL related masters from another well known CUNY; my only bad professor in the program was a prof from NYU who was adjuncting at my college. NYU is in the coolest part of the city, but with a Metrocard, you could attend a cheap public school and still hang out in Washington Square on your day off. Good luck!

(side note- I feel like my undergrad degree in SLP is totally useless if I still have to take a leveling course. Seriously what even was the point? UVA literally doesn't offer that class.)

I'm doing mine with Eastern New Mexico University...which I know is random but the administration has been super helpful and they're the cheapest one I could find. The application is free (it's more like you just put your name on the application for CDIS Leveler, send them your transcript, and you're in). All of the summer courses are billed with in-state tuition, so according to my calculation from what they have online, the total cost of a 3 credit course is around $550. but it's better than other ones I found that cost more like $1500.

Longwood University also has a program- according to their website registration for the Neuroanatomy course begins April 8 (and you have to apply a little bit before so you have a student account set up), although elsewhere I saw that their course registration was open March 30...and it says that 3 of 10 people are already signed up. So that made me sort of confused but Longwood's program is a little more expensive anyway so I really didn't look into it.

JMarti, did the neuro course you're in now not fulfill USF's requirements? Because I feel like every acceptance e-mail that USF sent out must have had that warning in it- They must just get a lot of kids (like me!) who haven't taken it yet so they put a blanket statement out there to everyone.

I sent them an email with the course description in it just to make sure. I want to triple check that I'll be all set for Fall. I don't want to get there just to find out I'm missing a pre-req that they told me about in March :P.

I am taking neural processes with university of Alaska anchorage online this summer... Don't know if that's the equivalent for neuroanatomy, but it could also be a possibility if you cant get it at ENMU or your current course doesn't count; they don't charge out if state tuition either.

I am hoping that it is just the stress. I know this process is difficult, but we need to remain positive and supportive of each other. These are your future colleagues! Moreover, none of us can really comment on the inner-workings of any department. What makes a certain school more "political" or not doesn't really matter. Bashing a program because you were waitlisted or rejected just seems like sour grapes. 

You sound like such a positive person who will make a great SLP someday.  You too had lots of reasons to start bashing the process, but yet the whole time, you congratulated everyone else and stayed positive the whole time, despite the stress you were going through. 

I wish more people in the world were like that :)

I was accepted to USC this morning via phone!

Congrats Jmarti. All the waiting is now starting to pay off. I absolutely loved USC when I visited for a possible ungrad school. Isn't nice to have some choices?

So they're not sending it by postal? Will they call to reject me? If I haven't gotten a call yet, should I freak out? I'm crying

Apparently, if I accept, they will send further instructions through the mail. I wouldn't freak out just yet. I know if others decline their offers from the waitlist, they will still want to fill up spots. :)

Danggg, girl! You're really racking them up!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! : ) 

Are you considering USC at all, or are you set on USF?

I feel so torn now! I loved both of the programs. USC had a specific CI track, where I would be able to scrub in and see the surgery, see the implant turned on, etc. It was wonderful! But USF had some components of their program that were really for me as well. What to do!

Your NYU advisor says loans are no problem, right? Have you thought about reapplying to some of the CUNY schools next year? I don't know about SLP, but in most of the education field, a degree from Hunter College can be as valuable as a degree from NYU (at least in the northeast, The NYU name travels better nationally). I have a TESOL related masters from another well known CUNY; my only bad professor in the program was a prof from NYU who was adjuncting at my college. NYU is in the coolest part of the city, but with a Metrocard, you could attend a cheap public school and still hang out in Washington Square on your day off. Good luck!
Nah, my faculty advisor at my undergrad said that. I live out-of-state so I don't know if a CUNY school would be cheap for me. I keep getting these great recommendations to apply to other schools I butfeel like it's too risky to reapply again, I know I barely got into NYU this year.

I feel so torn now! I loved both of the programs. USC had a specific CI track, where I would be able to scrub in and see the surgery, see the implant turned on, etc. It was wonderful! But USF had some components of their program that were really for me as well. What to do!

Told you to watch out because you might end up with choices!  Congrats!!

Told you to watch out because you might end up with choices!  Congrats!!

You were right! I totally did not expect this to happen. And USC is giving me until Friday to decide.

Edited by jmarti37

Whoa!  That's quick.  Have you visited USC before?

Luckily, I visited over the summer. It's just hard to make such a tough decision in so little time. 

Luckily, I visited over the summer. It's just hard to make such a tough decision in so little time. 

For sure!  Were you planning to get down to USF?  Are there other factors in this (boyfriend, location, etc)?

For sure!  Were you planning to get down to USF?  Are there other factors in this (boyfriend, location, etc)?

I've visited USF last year as well. Fortunately, my boyfriend will be moving wherever I decide to go to grad school. Since there are so few differentiating factors, it is tough! I really liked that USC had a specific CI track, but USF has the Bolesta Center where they work with children with hearing loss.

I guess this is a better stress than having no options, but it is hard! I didn't expect to get pulled from USC's waitlist, so I was all ready to head down to Tampa. 

I've visited USF last year as well. Fortunately, my boyfriend will be moving wherever I decide to go to grad school. Since there are so few differentiating factors, it is tough! I really liked that USC had a specific CI track, but USF has the Bolesta Center where they work with children with hearing loss.

I guess this is a better stress than having no options, but it is hard! I didn't expect to get pulled from USC's waitlist, so I was all ready to head down to Tampa. 

Congrats!!!  Now that you're in the same boat as some of us, it's so nice to have choices, but also so difficult, isn't it?!  I'm sure you will make the right choice and it sounds like you really can't go wrong with either place.  Would either city be better for your boyfriend to find a job, etc.?  Or does either city interest you more?  I think as far as your interests go, you will get good experience with both schools.  Very happy for you that you have choices!!

Congrats!!!  Now that you're in the same boat as some of us, it's so nice to have choices, but also so difficult, isn't it?!  I'm sure you will make the right choice and it sounds like you really can't go wrong with either place.  Would either city be better for your boyfriend to find a job, etc.?  Or does either city interest you more?  I think as far as your interests go, you will get good experience with both schools.  Very happy for you that you have choices!!

Thank you! I'm still in shock, ha. USC had such an extensive waitlist that I never imagined this happening. I was looking into the tuition rates, and it seems like USC may be quite a bit more expensive. Still weighing out all the options though. :)

Well, no phone call, so I've just accepted its a rejection. I'm gonna go sleep for 637373 days now.

Don't give up just yet, you still have plenty of time to receive an acceptance somewhere, and if your signature is accurate you still have two schools to hear from, which may bring good news also!

And congrats jmarti, so happy that your patience has finally paid off!

Don't give up just yet, you still have plenty of time to receive an acceptance somewhere, and if your signature is accurate you still have two schools to hear from, which may bring good news also!

And congrats jmarti, so happy that your patience has finally paid off!

To add to this, there may be people accepted off of the waitlist that decide to decline. I wouldn't take it as a rejection just yet!