2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

Congratulations everyone on your acceptances!  This has been such a stressful process.  I am excited about finally starting the SLP program in the fall, but I got caught in the ASHA changes and am now looking for a summer on-line/independant study physical science.  My University will not accept the Astronomy.  I have been researching schools trying to find a course that does not require a science background, and have not had too much luck.  My school will accept a couse without a lab as long as it is listed as PHYS or CHEM.  Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Wish I had a good suggestion for you. I'm biting the bullet and taking an Intro Chem with lab at my local community college this summer. 

Wish I had a good suggestion for you. I'm biting the bullet and taking an Intro Chem with lab at my local community college this summer. 

I'm probably going to end taking a non-lab physics course called Color and Light for Non-Scientists...which is kind of annoying because I also want to take Spanish and of course need to fit in all my other SLP classes, and I want to avoid taking anything during the summer if possible.

So there are definitely science classes that don't have labs and aren't intended for science majors. The only issue is finding them in your town or online....

Congratulations everyone on your acceptances!  This has been such a stressful process.  I am excited about finally starting the SLP program in the fall, but I got caught in the ASHA changes and am now looking for a summer on-line/independant study physical science.  My University will not accept the Astronomy.  I have been researching schools trying to find a course that does not require a science background, and have not had too much luck.  My school will accept a couse without a lab as long as it is listed as PHYS or CHEM.  Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

A coworker of mine needed science pre-reqs for a different program, and she took courses online through BYU.  They do offer a chem course (and maybe physics) but it is a little pricey.  I guess it will be your decision on whether you would rather spend more to take it without a lab?  I am thinking of doing a biology course through them this summer, because my work schedule will be pretty packed.  Here is a general link to their courses:

http://is.byu.edu/site/courses/index.cfm

Hope this helps!  I haven't taken an online course before, but I like the idea of not worrying about a lab and having a whole year to complete it.

I buckled down and took Bio and Chem at my local community college in the fall to make sure I fulfilled my ASHA biological and physical science requirements. They were 4 credit courses at $101 per credit but there were extra lab fees so it ended up costing $1450 for the 2 courses. I was lucky that I had a great experience with very friendly, funny faculty. I did have labs to do but the lab reports were so much easier than what I suffered through in AP courses in high school. I'm not going to be a biologist or chemist so I was glad the expectations were simple and straightforward. I wanted to get it out of the way before I begin grad school because we're going to have enough work on our plates as it is. I don't know anything as far as online courses go for those requirements, but I definitely would recommend getting it out of the way if at all possible in the summer!

Wait... Are you saying your AP courses didn't count for ASHA? If I passed AP Chem with credit from my undergrad school that counts... Right?!
Not sure, did your college accept the credits? I took AP bio in HS a million years ago and got a 3 on the exam but not chem. Not sure, I hope so!

Not sure, did your college accept the credits? I took AP bio in HS a million years ago and got a 3 on the exam but not chem. My university only accepted 4s and 5s but I never needed to take bio as an undergrad so it didn't really effect me anyway. Not sure, I hope so!

This is random, and I feel like someone mentioned it before in this thread but I just can't find it right now haha.

Does anyone know any schools that offer neuro online over the summer? Although I can take it at school in the fall, I'm considering taking it over the summer if it's not crazy expensive.

This is random, and I feel like someone mentioned it before in this thread but I just can't find it right now haha.

Does anyone know any schools that offer neuro online over the summer? Although I can take it at school in the fall, I'm considering taking it over the summer if it's not crazy expensive.

I am taking it at Eastern New Mexico this summer, but I believe the classes are all filled up. Longwood University also offers it, but it is more than $1,500 for the course. It's worth looking into if you don't want to take it next semester!

ENMU is pretty good about making room for people, be sure to talk to Dr. Swift about the possibility if you are interested. SLPjmar, who do you have for the course?

I am taking it with Linda Weems :)

Hey slpgal123,

I know that my school is offering a neuro class this summer online. From what it looks like, there are 15 spots open. I go to the University of Montana. I'm not sure about the cost for out of state, but I do know that they have an additional fee for being an online class.

Hope that helps!

Thanks you guys! I emailed people at both of those schools, and I heard back from Dr. Swift already. Do you happen to know how much the course ends up costing, and what dates it spans? Thanks!

Freaking. Out. I got a call at 4:30 today from GW saying I've been accepted and I have 24 hours to commit. However, I already committed to FSU and signed a lease! I have no idea what to do. GW was my first choice. 

Freaking. Out. I got a call at 4:30 today from GW saying I've been accepted and I have 24 hours to commit. However, I already committed to FSU and signed a lease! I have no idea what to do. GW was my first choice.

Congrats!!!

Is it possible to break your lease? Would you turn down FSU if you hadn't signed your lease?

Congrats!!!

Is it possible to break your lease? Would you turn down FSU if you hadn't signed your lease?

I'm really weighing my options right now. GW will be far more expensive but I think that DC will provide a really amazing experience. When all is said and done, I think I will still end up at FSU because of cost/my lease, but I'm trying to look at every possibility that I can in the next 24 hours to make the most informed decision!

I'm really weighing my options right now. GW will be far more expensive but I think that DC will provide a really amazing experience. When all is said and done, I think I will still end up at FSU because of cost/my lease, but I'm trying to look at every possibility that I can in the next 24 hours to make the most informed decision!

You know my vote already, but I'll be happy for you no matter what! I was in the same boat with San Francisco, but I decided to do the 'financially responsible' thing in the end  :rolleyes:  Good luck with your decision!!!