2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

bcjami, as far as logging your hours, that can be tricky.  From what I gather, each school has their own Observation Record Sheet.

Here is one I found online for a school in Mass.: http://www.docstoc.com/docs/45309410/Observation-Log-for-Applicants-for-Speech-Language-Pathology-Assistant-andor-Audiology-Assistant

The key is that your observations must be done with a clinician with current CCC licensing.  Not all states require all clinicians to have CCC.  For example, in my state, you can work as a school SLP without your CCC.

Important information for the log includes:

1. Your name

2. Date of each observation

3. Location of each observation

4. Type of session  (Grad programs require X amount of hours in educational and / or medical settings, with pediatric and adult patients)

5. Clinician's Name (printed)

6. Clinician's Signature

7. Clinician's State License # and / or ASHA member number  (used to verify that the person you observed is qualified to sign off on your observations- ie, has their current CCC)

8. Your signature stating that the information provided is accurate to the best of knowledge.

9. The date you sign it (after all observation hours for that sheet are complete).

If your undergrad has a Comm Dis department, contact them and see if you would be able to use their log sheet to record your hours.

While I understand you are eager to get hours and experience, you also want to protect yourself with evidence that the hours you complete can be verified and recognized by ASHA.

Edited by lexical_gap

bcjami, as far as logging your hours, that can be tricky.  From what I gather, each school has their own Observation Record Sheet.   Here is one I found online for a school in Mass.: http://www.docstoc.com/docs/45309410/Observation-Log-for-Applicants-for-Speech-Language-Pathology-Assistant-andor-Audiology-Assistant'>http://www.docstoc.com/docs/45309410/Observation-Log-for-Applicants-for-Speech-Language-Pathology-Assistant-andor-Audiology-Assistant   The key is that your observations must be done with a clinician with current CCC licensing.  Not all states require all clinicians to have CCC.  For example, in my state, you can work as a school SLP without your CCC.   Important information for the log includes: 1. Your name 2. Date of each observation 3. Location of each observation 4. Type of session  (Grad programs require X amount of hours in educational and / or medical settings, with pediatric and adult patients) 5. Clinician's Name (printed) 6. Clinician's Signature 7. Clinician's State License # and / or ASHA member number  (used to verify that the person you observed is qualified to sign off on your observations- ie, has their current CCC) 8. Your signature stating that the information provided is accurate to the best of knowledge. 9. The date you sign it (after all observation hours for that sheet are complete). If your undergrad has a Comm Dis department, contact them and see if you would be able to use their log sheet to record your hours.   While I understand you are eager to get hours and experience, you also want to protect yourself with evidence that the hours you complete can be verified and recognized by ASHA.
Thank you! :)

Reposting this in the hopes of getting more advice! Need more advice from anyone! So, I didn't get accepted second year of applying to three year programs. I'm going to have to step it up this year! I'm paying on my student loans from my bachelors degree in early childhood and special education...let's just say I have a good bit in loans. I'm a little worried about the next step I need to take to save money, but give me the best chance of getting in next year. I have many choices I can take. One obstacle I have been tackling is how difficult are the classes...pre-req? Can these be handled with a job? With this not known here are some of my options... 1. Move and take pre-req classes on campus at UGA....which is where I would really like to get into grad school for SLP. I think this would help get my name out there and it's a really good program. This is the most expensive option. 2. Take pre-reqs online at Utah state and teach another year. Not sure if I could handle both at the same time. I want to save money, but give myself the best chance next year of getting in. Also, if I volunteer to help my application, how should I log my hours? Is therea special form on ASHA or not? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Reposting this in the hopes of getting more advice! Need more advice from anyone! So, I didn't get accepted second year of applying to three year programs. I'm going to have to step it up this year! I'm paying on my student loans from my bachelors degree in early childhood and special education...let's just say I have a good bit in loans. I'm a little worried about the next step I need to take to save money, but give me the best chance of getting in next year. I have many choices I can take. One obstacle I have been tackling is how difficult are the classes...pre-req? Can these be handled with a job? With this not known here are some of my options... 1. Move and take pre-req classes on campus at UGA....which is where I would really like to get into grad school for SLP. I think this would help get my name out there and it's a really good program. This is the most expensive option. 2. Take pre-reqs online at Utah state and teach another year. Not sure if I could handle both at the same time. I want to save money, but give myself the best chance next year of getting in. Also, if I volunteer to help my application, how should I log my hours? Is therea special form on ASHA or not? Thanks in advance for any advice!
I am in the process of taking prereqs at USU right now. When I was applying to programs, I didn't start taking courses at USU until the spring so grad programs could see that I was taking them, but didn't know what my grades were which can be a problem for some programs (e.g. when I visited La Salle, the program director said they probably wouldn't even consider me because they wouldn't know how good of a speech student I was). So you are at an advantage now if you can start over the summer and continue throughout the year. I only took 2 courses in the spring which I just finished: 1) Phonetics and 2) Anatomy and Physiology of Speech and Language. I worked the whole time and the course load was very manageable. Anatomy was a lot of studying because the exams were proctored. Phonetics wasn't as much work because the exams were open notes. Now that I know I've decided on Montclair and they said they will accept my courses at USU, I registered for the 3 other courses I need to complete all of Montclair's prereqs at USU: Acoustics and Anatomy of the Ear, Basic Audiology, and Language Development. I signed up a day late (I'm kicking myself now...grrrrrr!) and had to pay an extra $100 per class for late registration. Normally it is $720 per class but I had to pay $820 per class which is still very affordable compared to most programs. I would recommend saving the $$ and working because it's possible! As far as logging in your observation hours, I had to do this for my Seton Hall application. Seton Hall had a form to print out with their application and I had the SLP sign off on it when I finished my observation hours with their ASHA number and where it was. Hope this helps! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask :)

I took 2 pre-reqs per semester (including summer) - one semester both classes were seated and the rest were online.  I work full time and was able to do it.  It's hard, but worth it I think.  I like seated classes better, but I was always stressed that I would have to work late and would miss class or a final exam (I ended up taking vacation days for exams just to make sure I wouldn't get stuck at work).  Online was much better in terms of scheduling.   One of my classes was observations, and we did the 25 hrs of observation through that.  Had to do a write-up of each obervation and include the standard info - date, signature of supervisor, etc.  

I am in the process of taking prereqs at USU right now. When I was applying to programs, I didn't start taking courses at USU until the spring so grad programs could see that I was taking them, but didn't know what my grades were which can be a problem for some programs (e.g. when I visited La Salle, the program director said they probably wouldn't even consider me because they wouldn't know how good of a speech student I was). So you are at an advantage now if you can start over the summer and continue throughout the year. I only took 2 courses in the spring which I just finished: 1) Phonetics and 2) Anatomy and Physiology of Speech and Language. I worked the whole time and the course load was very manageable. Anatomy was a lot of studying because the exams were proctored. Phonetics wasn't as much work because the exams were open notes. Now that I know I've decided on Montclair and they said they will accept my courses at USU, I registered for the 3 other courses I need to complete all of Montclair's prereqs at USU: Acoustics and Anatomy of the Ear, Basic Audiology, and Language Development. I signed up a day late (I'm kicking myself now...grrrrrr!) and had to pay an extra $100 per class for late registration. Normally it is $720 per class but I had to pay $820 per class which is still very affordable compared to most programs. I would recommend saving the $$ and working because it's possible! As far as logging in your observation hours, I had to do this for my Seton Hall application. Seton Hall had a form to print out with their application and I had the SLP sign off on it when I finished my observation hours with their ASHA number and where it was. Hope this helps! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask :)

I took the pre-reqs while working, but my job is very flexible with my work schedule.  Last summer, I took 2 courses online through USU and worked full time.  It wasn't always fun, but it was definitely doable and I made A's in both courses (one being A & P , which tends to be a harder class from some people).  Then, in spring and fall, I took 15+ hours and worked more like 25-30 hours per week.  I could have worked 40, and still gotten it all done.  It wasn't impossible at all.  I agree about seated classes - I like being able to go there and do it, but the advantge of online courses is that you can do them whenever you want (for most online programs anyway).  It takes some self discipline, and a lot of weekend/days off spent studying and doing homework, and probably some days when you want to give up on it all!... but it's definitely not impossible, and if you have financial concerns, I would suggest working while doing the courses online.  It will be more stressful, yes, but you will have less financial stress.  That is why I did it this way... and I am sure you can do it too!!

Good luck :)

OH, and also - one big advantage to being overly busy with work and school during the pre-req year........ it FLIES by!  I can't believe it, but it's been just shy of a year since I started this whole process with my pre-reqs last summer, and it feels like it was last week.  So, if you are willing to buckle down and have a super busy year, you can do it!  It's also kind of nice feeling such a purpose - full time student AND full time worker.  You will be proud of yourself constantly for juggling it all :)

OH, and also - one big advantage to being overly busy with work and school during the pre-req year........ it FLIES by!  I can't believe it, but it's been just shy of a year since I started this whole process with my pre-reqs last summer, and it feels like it was last week.  So, if you are willing to buckle down and have a super busy year, you can do it!  It's also kind of nice feeling such a purpose - full time student AND full time worker.  You will be proud of yourself constantly for juggling it all :)

How many classes total did you have to take?

lol i know. i already have a solid back up plan. still upsetting, though. thanks for the advice, guys!

Can i ask if you dont mind.. what is your solid back up plan? I dont have one and im curious about what other people are doing. I have no idea where to turn or what to do.

How many classes total did you have to take?

I've had to take 13 so far. And I'll be taking 3 more this summer! I had a wide range of schools I was looking at with various prerequisite requirements so I had to cover several bases. I've also never had a course in CSD until last year!

I've had to take 13 so far. And I'll be taking 3 more this summer! I had a wide range of schools I was looking at with various prerequisite requirements so I had to cover several bases. I've also never had a course in CSD until last year!

Ooh, ouch! I'm debating if it is worth it for me or if I should continue trying to get into Canadian universities...it would be easier for me to get a job here in the long run as the Au.D. is different than our Masters program. I guess I need to set up an appointment to talk to the grad school coordinator at my school. Thanks!

Ooh, ouch! I'm debating if it is worth it for me or if I should continue trying to get into Canadian universities...it would be easier for me to get a job here in the long run as the Au.D. is different than our Masters program. I guess I need to set up an appointment to talk to the grad school coordinator at my school. Thanks!
It depends on the program how many prereqs there are. Most have between 4-6 so you probably don't need to take quite that many classes!

HELP!!!!!! Have been accepted to 3 programs (all out-of-state). University of Cincinnati (only 2 hours from my hometown, but tuition is going to cost around $80,000  :unsure: ), Texas Tech, and University of North Texas. Cincinnati has the highest ranking, and I feel like I would get the best experience there, however, the tuition DIFFERENCE is about $40,000. Is the loan debt worth the experience? For those of you from texas, what are your opinions on TTech vs. UNT?

HELP!!!!!! Have been accepted to 3 programs (all out-of-state). University of Cincinnati (only 2 hours from my hometown, but tuition is going to cost around $80,000  :unsure: ), Texas Tech, and University of North Texas. Cincinnati has the highest ranking, and I feel like I would get the best experience there, however, the tuition DIFFERENCE is about $40,000. Is the loan debt worth the experience? For those of you from texas, what are your opinions on TTech vs. UNT?

Congrats on your acceptances! I'm not familiar with any of those schools, but the debt is NOT worth it, especially since there aren't any subsidized loans for grad school.  My opinion is that our hands-on experience will be pretty much the same no matter where we go-- an elementary school is an elementary school, and a rehab hospital is a rehab hospital. 

I agree with katieliz that the extra debt just is not worth it. You will get the same experience no matter where you go and will be well prepared at any ASHA certified program. I say go with the cheaper option, you'll be just as prepared for your slp career with much less financial stress.

I agree with katieliz that the extra debt just is not worth it. You will get the same experience no matter where you go and will be well prepared at any ASHA certified program. I say go with the cheaper option, you'll be just as prepared for your slp career with much less financial stress.

Agreed, this was one of my primary deciding factors when choosing a school. Although both were dream programs, I didn't feel comfortable with having an extra $40,000 (+ living expenses). 

I know I'll have a great job when I graduate. Just not THAT great.  :P