2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

Saddest thing ever - I woke up today and thought it was Monday, and was excited.  First time I have ever hoped it was Monday instead of Sunday..... I am ready to know where I'm going to grad school.

Saddest thing ever - I woke up today and thought it was Monday, and was excited.  First time I have ever hoped it was Monday instead of Sunday..... I am ready to know where I'm going to grad school.

We are opposites  :blink: The weekends are the only time I'm not stressing, because I know how unlikely it is to receive any information. 

I was that way for a while, but I know UT-Austin should be notifying this coming week so I am very anxious for this week to be here!!!  I do have 3 exams this week though... So maybe I should focus on studying today rather than thinking about that!!

I was that way for a while, but I know UT-Austin should be notifying this coming week so I am very anxious for this week to be here!!!  I do have 3 exams this week though... So maybe I should focus on studying today rather than thinking about that!!

Yes, get to studying!!! But please, let me know how you fare with UT-Austin. I'll be keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you.  :D

Yes, get to studying!!! But please, let me know how you fare with UT-Austin. I'll be keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you.  :D

Thank you!!  I'm doing the same for you!  Aren't you hoping to hear from USF This week?  Good luck!!!!

Thank you!!  I'm doing the same for you!  Aren't you hoping to hear from USF This week?  Good luck!!!!

Thanks! And yup, if I was lucky enough to be a first-round acceptance  :rolleyes: . We will see! 

Well this is the first  time I have to say that I wish the weekend would just hurry up and end. I am anxious for everyone to hear something!

To pass the time I have been looking into post-bac programs as that is my plan B if I do not get accepted anywhere this time. I have a few questions for those who have done this. How do you get LOR's, do you get them from professors from your first degree, or do you get them from the professors at the post-bac program? I am looking at Utah State and some other classroom based programs and I may only have one class with a professor before I need them to write me a letter, and I do not feel like that is enough time for them to get to know me. Also, how competitive are the programs to get into? The deadlines I am looking at are not until June 1 and I was thinking of not submitting my application until April when I have more of an idea of the potential of me getting into a program this year. But should I just go ahead and submit my application now to get a head start on others? Thanks!

Also, how competitive are the programs to get into? The deadlines I am looking at are not until June 1 and I was thinking of not submitting my application until April when I have more of an idea of the potential of me getting into a program this year. But should I just go ahead and submit my application now to get a head start on others? Thanks!

The post bacc program at Portland State is not competitive. If you apply you get in (idk if they have a cap to how many they can accept though). At least it was when I applied there a few years ago. I didn't end up going but I know a few people who did and they all got into grad school. One of them is in my grad school cohort. The classes are in person and you take a ton of them so it would cover a lot of pre-recs for a lot of schools. If you are willing to move to Portland it is not a bad bet. They take applications through June (again, at least they did when I applied). 

http://www.pdx.edu/sphr/post-baccalaureate-program

The post bacc program at Portland State is not competitive. If you apply you get in (idk if they have a cap to how many they can accept though). At least it was when I applied there a few years ago. I didn't end up going but I know a few people who did and they all got into grad school. One of them is in my grad school cohort. The classes are in person and you take a ton of them so it would cover a lot of pre-recs for a lot of schools. If you are willing to move to Portland it is not a bad bet. They take applications through June (again, at least they did when I applied). 

http://www.pdx.edu/sphr/post-baccalaureate-program

Thanks, I actually looked at that program last night. The problem is though that I and my boyfriend live in Illinois and Portland is just too far away for us. There is a second degree program at SIU-Edwardsville that is similar and much closer and convenient for us that I will probably apply to in a few weeks. I also just sent my application in for Utah State's program. Surely applying to two post-bac programs is enough and I will be able to get into at least one, right?

Well this is the first  time I have to say that I wish the weekend would just hurry up and end. I am anxious for everyone to hear something!

To pass the time I have been looking into post-bac programs as that is my plan B if I do not get accepted anywhere this time. I have a few questions for those who have done this. How do you get LOR's, do you get them from professors from your first degree, or do you get them from the professors at the post-bac program? I am looking at Utah State and some other classroom based programs and I may only have one class with a professor before I need them to write me a letter, and I do not feel like that is enough time for them to get to know me. Also, how competitive are the programs to get into? The deadlines I am looking at are not until June 1 and I was thinking of not submitting my application until April when I have more of an idea of the potential of me getting into a program this year. But should I just go ahead and submit my application now to get a head start on others? Thanks!

I am in a post-bac program currently at Metropolitan State University of Denver. It was not competitive to get into. However, I would definitely advise applying early (before the date to register for classes) because classes do fill up. I didn't get to register for fall classes until June of last year, so I was only able to get a spot in 2 classes and was waitlisted for 3. Since I couldn't get into some of the classes last semester, I couldn't take some of the classes I wanted to this semester because I didn't have the pre-reqs.  I had 2 LORs from professors from my first degree, and 2 letters from my post-bac professors. I felt like the post-bac prof who I had 2 classes and a lab with, had plenty to write a glowing letter. I don't think my post-bac prof who only taught one class had as much to say. If you're doing online classes, I doubt those LORs would be as strong.

I am in a post-bac program currently at Metropolitan State University of Denver. It was not competitive to get into. However, I would definitely advise applying early (before the date to register for classes) because classes do fill up. I didn't get to register for fall classes until June of last year, so I was only able to get a spot in 2 classes and was waitlisted for 3. Since I couldn't get into some of the classes last semester, I couldn't take some of the classes I wanted to this semester because I didn't have the pre-reqs.  I had 2 LORs from professors from my first degree, and 2 letters from my post-bac professors. I felt like the post-bac prof who I had 2 classes and a lab with, had plenty to write a glowing letter. I don't think my post-bac prof who only taught one class had as much to say. If you're doing online classes, I doubt those LORs would be as strong.

That is great to know, thank you very much!

Thanks, I actually looked at that program last night. The problem is though that I and my boyfriend live in Illinois and Portland is just too far away for us. There is a second degree program at SIU-Edwardsville that is similar and much closer and convenient for us that I will probably apply to in a few weeks. I also just sent my application in for Utah State's program. Surely applying to two post-bac programs is enough and I will be able to get into at least one, right?

Another option, rather than doing a full post-bac program, would be to just take the prereqs as a non-degree-seeking student. For Utah State's online program, all you have to do is send in some info, as I recently learned here on thegradcafe. Basically everyone is accepted. A few folks on here have gone that route, and I will be taking one or two courses from them this summer to finish up my prereqs.

Another option, rather than doing a full post-bac program, would be to just take the prereqs as a non-degree-seeking student. For Utah State's online program, all you have to do is send in some info, as I recently learned here on thegradcafe. Basically everyone is accepted. A few folks on here have gone that route, and I will be taking one or two courses from them this summer to finish up my prereqs.

I already applied to Utah State today as a post-bac second degree student. I thought about doing the non-degree option but after looking at the classes it seemed easier to just go ahead and do the full degree program. It is only 3 semesters long and the cost is very affordable so it seems like a good option, plus others on here seem to be happy with their decision. Thanks!

Anybody have any idea about when Teachers College lets us know??

Applied: SUNY Buffalo, UT, UVA, Emerson, BU, Syracuse, Columbia TC, NYU
Accepted: SUNY Buffalo, UT, UVA, Emerson, NYU
Interview: BU
Wait-listed:
Rejected:

Check out the results survey to see about when they notified last year. If it's anything like other programs, it should be within the next few weeks. 

Do you mind letting me know if you're an in-field vs. out-of-field applicant?

Sure! Out-of-field, GPA- 3.9, 166 V, 158 Q, 4.5 W.

And I did, it was much closer to April than I'd like. :wacko:

I know sometimes programs notify out-of-field applicants first. But TC may be a whole different story. Good luck! With your wonderful stats and growing lists of acceptances, I have a feeling you'll be hearing something good.  :)

For all of those waiting to hear from MGH, did all applicants get an e-mail that decisions will be available tomorrow through the online portal or are they releasing decisions in groups?

My heart just stopped when I saw their e-mail thinking it was an admission decision (silly thought to have on a Sunday!)

Best of luck to all and sending tons of patience to everyone still waiting to hear!

Did everyone just get that email from MGH saying that our admissions decision will be ready to view tomorrow on the website? Eeeek.

I haven't gotten that email and I applied to MGH...now I'm nervous....when did you get the email??

Did everyone just get that email from MGH saying that our admissions decision will be ready to view tomorrow on the website? Eeeek.

Lol, glad I'm not the only one stalking my e-mail