2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

That pretty much summarizes everything that I've been considering thus far.  So basically.... it will just come down to what feels right once all the options are out there. Bahhh, glad I don't have to decide right this second.  Thanks for helping me gain some perspective on it! :)

Of course you need to wait for all your acceptances because funding offers can change things, but as everything stands now with McGill as more of a fallback option, I personally say pick Chapel Hill! ;) (Again, without aid in the mix, I assume most of the schools you've applied to in the US likely fall in a similar price range for out-of-state students, give or take a few thousand dollars?)

I wish people would stop having conversations on the results page and discuss stuff here in new threads titled "Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected/Interviews for So-and-So School" or something. It's so cluttered right now with people going back and forth, asking about stats and interviews...

The cost of grad school is really starting to bum me out.  I just want to be able to go to the school that looks like the best fit for me, rather than agonizing over whether I need to choose a cheaper school out of practicality.   :(   

You have so many choices though! Choose the school that fits well and is cheap enough that you won't be buried in debt afterwards. Which school is your first choice?

Maybe it's just my perspective, but I am really bothered by posts on the results board that show that the person is accepted, but then ask (in the comments section), "does anyone know anything about this program?" Is seems like people just randomly applied, and only if accepted do they bother to try to find out anything about the program. Maybe that's why this application process for SLP is so competitive.... People are applying to schools that they really know nothing about!! I took the time to research every program, from pre-reqs, to in program classes, clinic experiences, externship or internship opportunities, research of the current faculty, any funding or grants they currently have, contacting grad directors, visiting, etc. I started with a list of around 20 places I researched, and cut it down from there. Obviously geographical location was big for me, but the research I did will help me decide if i get more than one offer, or any offers at all. Why spend the money to apply to a program if you really don't know anything about it???

Rant over.

Edited by kcald716

Maybe it's just my perspective, but I am really bothered by posts on the results board that show that the person is accepted, but then ask (in the comments section), "does anyone know anything about this program?" Is seems like people just randomly applied, and only if accepted do they bother to try to find out anything about the program. Maybe that's why this application process for SLP is so competitive.... People are applying to schools that they really know nothing about!! I took the time to research every program, from pre-reqs, to in program classes, clinic experiences, externship or internship opportunities, research of the current faculty, any funding or grants they currently have, contacting grad directors, visiting, etc. I started with a list of around 20 places I researched, and cut it down from there. Obviously geographical location was big for me, but the research I did will help me decide if i get more than one offer, or any offers at all. Why spend the money to apply to a program if you really don't know anything about it???

Rant over.

I could not agree more!!!

Congrats! When did you submit your app?

Thank you! I submitted it in late January. I was surprised to hear from them so soon. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to visit the school because of lack of money and time. :(

What was your impression of the school when you visited it? Where did you stay when visiting?

Any UCF summer applicants here? I'm seeing some results and wondering how they're doing decisions. Not a huge deal, I know not many of us have applied there.

Any UCF summer applicants here? I'm seeing some results and wondering how they're doing decisions. Not a huge deal, I know not many of us have applied there.

Since you're currently at UF, have any of your classmates who applied to USF heard back? There were a string of 5 acceptances yesterday, and I can't really tell if it was everyone or not. 

Since you're currently at UF, have any of your classmates who applied to USF heard back? There were a string of 5 acceptances yesterday, and I can't really tell if it was everyone or not.

Unfortunately, I'm not really in contact with anyone from UF that is going through the application process because I'm in the psychology major and not CSD. I wouldn't worry about USF just yet. It seems like a lot of schools are dragging this out and sending out a handful of notifications each day rather than everyone at once. I'll ask around in my major and see if anyone has heard for some reason! Don't give up hope!

Edited by SLP1990

Unfortunately, I'm not really in contact with anyone from UF that is going through the application process because I'm in the psychology major and not CSD. I wouldn't worry about USF just yet. It seems like a lot of schools are dragging this out and sending out a handful of notifications each day rather than everyone at once. I'll ask around in my major and see if anyone has heard for some reason! Don't give up hope!

Exactly, which is why I ask! Some schools are sending handful of acceptances at a time, which is very confusing to me. UNC-CH called all of their admits, but dragged out the rejection process. So I'm just trying to figure out where we stand in the application process, so I'm not holding on to something that has been gone for a while (like I did with UNC-CH). :)

Exactly, which is why I ask! Some schools are sending handful of acceptances at a time, which is very confusing to me. UNC-CH called all of their admits, but dragged out the rejection process. So I'm just trying to figure out where we stand in the application process, so I'm not holding on to something that has been gone for a while (like I did with UNC-CH). :)

I'm sorry that this has been so stressful for you :( fingers crossed that you get an amazing email today!

HOWEVER, any program you choose will equip you for a career, and if expenses are too stressful or taxing for you, there's absolutely no shame in choosing a cheaper school.

I completely agree with this sentiment. I am an older applicant and I don't want any student loans. I actually only applied to schools that I could afford to pay for while my wife works.

Just about every school I have looked at has close to 100% pass rate on the Praxis and 100% employment after graduation. I don't want to be paying for student loans while my son is in university.

I turned in my app late january

I emailed the UCF ComDis department to inquire about my file being marked "incomplete". My transcripts are considered preliminary because I graduate in May. They responded almost immediately saying that a decision has been made and I will receive it by the end of next week. Which makes me wonder if I've been rejected because it seems like the accepted applicants are being notified now.

Thank you! I submitted it in late January. I was surprised to hear from them so soon. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to visit the school because of lack of money and time. :(

What was your impression of the school when you visited it? Where did you stay when visiting?

Are you an infield or out of field applicant? Edited by jmarti37

I think there was one other person on this thread who had also applied to Saint Cloud - I know it's early, but have you heard anything yet?  I'm expecting a letter late this week or early next...but the SCSU website says that they notify via email and post.  The results forum only lists post notifications from previous years, so I don't know if the email notification is new or if the Speech Department just doesn't do that.

I just received an e-mail inviting me to their interview day. This is the first I have heard anything from them, so I am not sure if this means I was accepted (I would assume not), or if they are just inviting a bunch of potentials up for the day. I am almost positive that I will not be attending if I do happen to get in, so I am not sure if it is worth taking a day off of work to go up there. . .