2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

I just got an email from a university I applied to asking for donations. Ummm you haven't even admitted me yet!

And I'm dying to hear from UWM, and historically they notify tomorrow! Tomorrow my email refresh button might wear out...

Hahaha ... you could always say that you'll be happy to donate full tuition dollars once you're admitted.  ;)

I just got an email from a university I applied to asking for donations. Ummm you haven't even admitted me yet!

And I'm dying to hear from UWM, and historically they notify tomorrow! Tomorrow my email refresh button might wear out...

I'm an UWM right now and I know the admissions committee met last Friday so I'm also hoping they notify tomorrow! I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight!

I really do understand the family front, mine has asked me a few times... sometimes they even remember now. Don't take that to mean they are not supportive, but they don't really know the field all that well or what it involves. Though if I have to hear my Dad tell me that grad school is not very hard to get in to and then tell his story again... I might have to fly down there and... er... well do something.

Take care, and good luck. This waiting is just killing me, I want to find a cryo chamber and pop in for a couple weeks and just wake up to letters. 

My dad says the same thing, he basically told me that schools will accept me because they want my money and that it really isn't that hard to get in anywhere. My mom has no idea what SLP is and keeps asking me, "Why don't you go to engineering school instead? Or medical school? How are you going to get a job with this silly speech-language pathology business?".  :rolleyes:

Just another thought. What about Maine, Vermont or New Hampshire? They all have a French speaking population.

Wow, I never knew that! I will definitely look into those states  :)

Haha!  My dad also keeps asking me why I don't just go to med school?  It's like - because I don't want to?!  Why do people not understand SLP!!!!!

When I was telling my parents about SLP, my dad went, "Pathology? Doesn't that have to do with disease? Are you going to be like a speech doctor?" and I sort of just nodded my head...so they're a little more relieved now  :P

Next to Louisianna, I think they have the highest French speaking population. Beautiful states too.

My sister has been to NH and she says the same thing. I had no idea there was even a French speaking population there though!

Well I still haven't heard from Western and apparently somebody got an email saying they were accepted to SIU-Carbondale and I have yet to receive anything. This doesn't look like a good sign :(

Well I still haven't heard from Western and apparently somebody got an email saying they were accepted to SIU-Carbondale and I have yet to receive anything. This doesn't look like a good sign :(

Tay, I am most likely going to decline the western offer, so don't be disappointed yet. Great place, and I was offered a scholarship plus tuition remission, but financially we need to be out at ECU where we already own a townhouse. I just finished running the numbers to see if it would work. So... Your good news might be coming! It seems that they haven't sent out all offers yet since the number of acceptances or any other news on the results page seems low. We haven't fully decided but this is the way we are leaning thus far. Edited by kcald716

Never never give up. I am a 41 year old who has a BS in Comm. Sciences and 8 years as an SLPA and another 8 in other areas of special education.  When people asked why I didn't "just go back and get my Masters", I explained how hard it is, not like other programs!  I went back to school last year, cleaned up my GPA and re- applied.  Just heard today that I got in to my undergraduate school.  NEVER thought it could happen.  Don't give up keep trying, get experience and know that no matter what, YOU are awesome!

Congratulations, Zinny!!! Good for you for going back to school. It's never too late to do what you love!! I am several years younger than you and will not give up, even if I don't get in this year. 

Kcald, thanks for letting me know. Since it stills says that it's complete and ready for review I know i shouldn't freak out too much since that means I am still in the running. I just wish I knew if I am still in the running for an acceptance or a wait list at this point. Also, after freaking out about Carbondale I noticed that the person posted that they received the news on March 1, which is when SIU-Edwardsville notified people. Hopefully they just put the wrong school down by accident because if she meant to type 3/11 I think more people from Carbondale would have posted their results yesterday.

Jmarti, hang on, we will get through this together. Everyone on this forum is pulling for you and we will be here for you no matter what :)

Kcald, thanks for letting me know. Since it stills says that it's complete and ready for review I know i shouldn't freak out too much since that means I am still in the running. I just wish I knew if I am still in the running for an acceptance or a wait list at this point. Also, after freaking out about Carbondale I noticed that the person posted that they received the news on March 1, which is when SIU-Edwardsville notified people. Hopefully they just put the wrong school down by accident because if she meant to type 3/11 I think more people from Carbondale would have posted their results yesterday.

Jmarti, hang on, we will get through this together. Everyone on this forum is pulling for you and we will be here for you no matter what :)

Hopefully we hear from Western soon. I am wayyyy too curious.

I'm an UWM right now and I know the admissions committee met last Friday so I'm also hoping they notify tomorrow! I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight!

How do you like the program at UWM? That's looking to be a top choice of mine, logistically and financially.

Thanks guys. Sadly, reapplication seems more and more likely. I feel so embarrassed. I have no idea how to make myself more competitive, either

Don't feel embarrassed. Last year when I didn't get into grad school I was embarrassed and it just makes you feel worse. Mainly because my sister had gotten in a few years earlier on her first try...off a waitlist though. When it all came down to it...my sister was the best support system because she understood how hard it was for her to get in. My mom had a really hard time because she didn't understand why I wouldn't get in. My sister had ideas of how to better my application and I feel like I have done so, now the grad schools just need to get to my letter of intent to realize this. The school I went to for undergrad... I don't know any of my friends that got into grad school...but I also don't know many of them trying to better their application for next time around. Its likely that you are in the same boat as many of your fellow classmates. Look to them for support. Hopefully you get into one of your schools, but while you wait it out..start thinking about what you may do next year to help your application.

Tay1991, I think the SIUC post is either a mistake or written incorrectly. I don't think SIUC has a Spring or summer start. I thought it only started in the fall And if it was a Spring acceptance, why would they inform this late? Very curious... lol

How do you like the program at UWM? That's looking to be a top choice of mine, logistically and financially.

I realliy enjoy the program. It's a pretty decent size and the faculty are all very competant and helpful. UWM is definitely my top choice for a variety of reasons but mostly because I like the area and don't really feel like starting over at this point in my life . Did you apply for any of the assistantships that went out?

Tay1991, I think the SIUC post is either a mistake or written incorrectly. I don't think SIUC has a Spring or summer start. I thought it only started in the fall And if it was a Spring acceptance, why would they inform this late? Very curious... lol

I really think it is now because SIUC didn't notify until a few weeks later last year so this would be pretty early for them. Also, you would think more than one person would post their results if they really did give out their decisions already. So I'm going to stay calm and view it as a mistake.

i feel like all i've been doing lately is refreshing my email every 5 seconds and checking this site. ready to know where i'm gonna be already! hate waiting!