2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

So I just found out that it will be about 2-3 weeks until I hear back from all the schools that I have applied to. Oh my goodness gracious I am going to lose my mind!

Edited by kd0110

So I just found out that it will be about 2-3 weeks until I hear back from all the schools that I have applied to. Oh my goodness gracious I am going to lose my mind!

This is just getting downright ridiculous. 2-3 weeks? How are you ever supposed to make a decision, find a place to live, etc? This is getting so late!

This is just getting downright ridiculous. 2-3 weeks? How are you ever supposed to make a decision, find a place to live, etc? This is getting so late!

I agree, FL schools are really slacking this year! I feel like I should go to FSU merely because they made a timely decision!

I hope that these schools are at least going to give you the time to think about your decision before making your choice. That'd be horrible if  they send out decisions and expect an answer in a few days or a week.

What about NJ/NY schools?? I've heard from 1 of 8!
i saw an acceptance from seton hall today on the results and i got SO excited but i didn't hear anything :[

I hope that these schools are at least going to give you the time to think about your decision before making your choice. That'd be horrible if  they send out decisions and expect an answer in a few days or a week.

Agreed.

I know that this might be easier said than done, but shouldn't all the programs try to use similar notification schedules? I think it would be to the schools' and the applicants' advantage to do so. Many people are already psychologically (and practically) prepared to go to schools that have already notified them, and I don't blame them--notifications that might bleed into April are late!

Agreed.

I know that this might be easier said than done, but shouldn't all the programs try to use similar notification schedules? I think it would be to the schools' and the applicants' advantage to do so. Many people are already psychologically (and practically) prepared to go to schools that have already notified them, and I don't blame them--notifications that might bleed into April are late!

I agree with that as well. I know that the programs in Boston (other than Northeastern, apparently) all get the results out before the middle of March, because they know that's when a lot of students have their spring breaks. That's really how it should be. Being given that time to think over a week away from classes does a lot. 

I agree with that as well. I know that the programs in Boston (other than Northeastern, apparently) all get the results out before the middle of March, because they know that's when a lot of students have their spring breaks. That's really how it should be. Being given that time to think over a week away from classes does a lot. 

Good point--spring break is also a great time to take an impromptu trip out to visit schools.

This process is stressful and uncertain enough as it is. It's nice when schools seem a bit more considerate.

I do think some of the programs are still reeling from recent years' influx of applicants. I hope they all streamline their processes soon (I suppose CSDCAS is an attempt to do that, but many people have had issues with them; neither of my schools used them, though).

Yes, this whole process is so stressful as you all know...but this is just getting beyond ridiculous. However, from my prospective I have not received any information wait list, acceptance, or rejection from any of the schools I have applied to...so it's not like I have to worry about deciding between schools. I just hope one takes me and tells me soon! At least the 2-3 week period gives me a time frame so that I won't go crazy wondering when I'll hear something. 

Good point--spring break is also a great time to take an impromptu trip out to visit schools.

This process is stressful and uncertain enough as it is. It's nice when schools seem a bit more considerate.

I do think some of the programs are still reeling from recent years' influx of applicants. I hope they all streamline their processes soon (I suppose CSDCAS is an attempt to do that, but many people have had issues with them; neither of my schools used them, though).

That's all I really hear from the program that I'm currently in. The field is growing rapidly, and there's always the influx of applicants. I think what that shows is they need to adapt a little bit and starting accepting a few more people, to get bigger classes every year. I'm not talking about ten+ people, but five more a year isn't much to ask for. Especially if they realize the growth rate. I hope they do something about this. I really do feel for the people in this forum who I can tell would be great SLPs but haven't heard anything yet.

Yes, this whole process is so stressful as you all know...but this is just getting beyond ridiculous. However, from my prospective I have not received any information wait list, acceptance, or rejection from any of the schools I have applied to...so it's not like I have to worry about deciding between schools. I just hope one takes me and tells me soon! At least the 2-3 week period gives me a time frame so that I won't go crazy wondering when I'll hear something. 

I hope for the best for you! Even though it's 2-3 weeks, the waiting game still sucks. Best of luck!

That's all I really hear from the program that I'm currently in. The field is growing rapidly, and there's always the influx of applicants. I think what that shows is they need to adapt a little bit and starting accepting a few more people, to get bigger classes every year. I'm not talking about ten+ people, but five more a year isn't much to ask for. Especially if they realize the growth rate. I hope they do something about this. I really do feel for the people in this forum who I can tell would be great SLPs but haven't heard anything yet.

I hope for the best for you! Even though it's 2-3 weeks, the waiting game still sucks. Best of luck!

Thank you! Congratulations with your acceptances so far :)

Absolutely. At least a lot of wait lists are very active.

I'm very curious as to how the programs and field continue to adjust or accommodate for the rapid growth they're experiencing.

Part of the problem, at least at my local university, is that in order to accommodate more students, the school needs to hire more Clinical Professors to supervise them.  The Clinical Professors where I am supervise both the undergrad and grad students.  On top of that, they also each teach 2-3 courses.  Each graduate class is 25 students, or 50 grad students total.  The two undergrad classes is another 50-60 students.  To add more students without hiring additional staff compromises the quality of the supervision and training.  With state budget cuts, coming up with an extra $60k for another professor can be difficult.

Part of the problem, at least at my local university, is that in order to accommodate more students, the school needs to hire more Clinical Professors to supervise them.  The Clinical Professors where I am supervise both the undergrad and grad students.  On top of that, they also each teach 2-3 courses.  Each graduate class is 25 students, or 50 grad students total.  The two undergrad classes is another 50-60 students.  To add more students without hiring additional staff compromises the quality of the supervision and training.  With state budget cuts, coming up with an extra $60k for another professor can be difficult.

Great point! So many applicants and not even enough clinical supervisors, looks like some of us need to get our PhDs to fix this problem! I'm thinking about it...hehe

Not any time soon though, I'm sick of the application process. Maybe after I work for like 5-10 years.

Edited by slpf13

True, there are definitely practical concerns like the ones you've mentioned. I think ASHA has been hesitant for programs to expand as well.

As for $60K for another professor, can our $50+ application fees partially go toward that? (Kidding, kind of!)

If you were accepted to Adelphi, how were you notified? Did your online status change??

Sorry, no online status change :(. Hopefully you'll get a letter in the mail soon!

Sounds like there are still a bunch of people waiting to hear... :-(  Praying for you all to get some good news soon!  

I had a slap-crazy busy day today and hopped on TGC for just a minute to check to see if you guys heard something... now I have to run out and get something to eat and get on an ear-plug assignment for my intro to audiology class.  Fun times. :-)