2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

I'm not so much anxious as I am annoyed at this point. I see people being accepted to USF almost randomly (wide range of stats, wide range of dates, etc.) while I sit here with absolutely no idea where I stand. I have emailed and have not received a reply. I'm starting to feel like I'm being kept in the dark.

I finally got ahold of USF a couple days ago via email.  Dr. Bahr stated that all acceptances are being sent to those who had the GRE requirment and GPA requirment.  I did not have the GRE they wanted so im guessing the chances of me getting in are very slim.

I was wait listed as well.  I called to see if they would let me know what number I was but they said they do not give the info away, but she said they have taken from the wait list before.

I also called and was told that the committee will come together again between now and April 15th to rank the people who were put on the waitlist and then if need be pull from there.....

I finally got ahold of USF a couple days ago via email. Dr. Bahr stated that all acceptances are being sent to those who had the GRE requirment and GPA requirment. I did not have the GRE they wanted so im guessing the chances of me getting in are very slim.

That's very weird, since I met both the GPA and GRE minimums that they listed.

Hopefully that means you will be getting in............!

I hope so! That's just very weird to reply to an email with. One would assume that of course all acceptances would go to those who meet the minimums.

I agree.... That is an odd thing to say. It's like - that makes it sound like EVERYONE who meets those numbers will get in?!

Exactly. Perhaps she meant to say that acceptances were currently ONLY going to those who met the minimums, meaning no one below was receiving an acceptance.

Just wondering if there are any other Syracuse "acceptees" here...? Anyone thinking about attending the open house on April 5th? Any info that can you can share about the program would be much appreciated!!

That's very weird, since I met both the GPA and GRE minimums that they listed.

Then you should get in thats really all the care about there.  She said in the email they are still reviewing apps, they had over 475 people apply this year, you could just be one of the last apps they look at

Then you should get in thats really all the care about there. She said in the email they are still reviewing apps, they had over 475 people apply this year, you could just be one of the last apps they look at

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but I feel so terrible when an applicant is counted out just by numbers alone. I have great confidence that you will make a wonderful SLP someday, whether your numbers make the cut or not. Good luck, I have faith in you!

SUNY New Paltz-ers, check the website! I think last week, they took all their capable undergrad SLP students, and now they waitlisted some of us on the website. So check it out! I just got wailt listed. I really hope I make it in...patiently optimistic. I will wait till the end of the summer into FALL if I have to! I am so grateful it wasn't a rejection tho!

I'm really confused why (according to the results boards) like a zillion people have heard from northeastern. i check like 98 times a day. what is my life

• Called the admissions office and the woman on the phone said that applicants are offered admission on a "rolling basis." She also said that if you do not see a decision (waitlisted, accepted, or denied) in your portal, it means that they have not even looked at your application yet- so basically they are accepting students without looking at the entire applicant pool. Sucks.

^results board ugh

• Called the admissions office and the woman on the phone said that applicants are offered admission on a "rolling basis." She also said that if you do not see a decision (waitlisted, accepted, or denied) in your portal, it means that they have not even looked at your application yet- so basically they are accepting students without looking at the entire applicant pool. Sucks.

^results board ugh

Yeah, that's even more frustrating because I submitted my application at the end of December, way before their deadline. I hoped they would have taken a look at it by now.

^results board ugh

That is not cool at all.

I hope all of you who are waiting for them hear good news soon.

Well the result board wont let me post for some reason... But I just got waitlisted by Texas Woman's University... But I am excited to at least be waitlisted because I was rejected last year... My friend that attends there was on the waitlist last year and got off of it so there is HOPE! I just talked to her and she said the program director asked her about me, so that is positive! Anyways. Here is to hoping I get in at Texas Woman's because I wouldn't have to move or start a long distance relationship with my boyfriend! :D

Well the result board wont let me post for some reason... But I just got waitlisted by Texas Woman's University... But I am excited to at least be waitlisted because I was rejected last year... My friend that attends there was on the waitlist last year and got off of it so there is HOPE! I just talked to her and she said the program director asked her about me, so that is positive! Anyways. Here is to hoping I get in at Texas Woman's because I wouldn't have to move or start a long distance relationship with my boyfriend! :D

Congrats meangreen and good luck!  That boyfriend stuff can get complicated!

Congrats meangreen and good luck! That boyfriend stuff can get complicated!

Thanks! Yes... I can only imagine! We have been together for almost 4 years. I feel like starting a long distance relationship would be rough.

Edited by meangreen23

Gave up my spot at Appalachian today...hope that helps a wait lister on here!

I also gave up my offer at Appalachian State, as well as my funded offer at Western Carolina, hopefully someone benefits!

Matrixgrl09...

I'm glad you got *some* info from Northeastern! I wrote to them last week and they basically said they would let everyone know by April 15th. I also heard from someone at the University that they haven't looked at all of the apps yet. I am going crazy, I would just like to know...either way! I don't really understand how they can accept people as they look through the applications...does that mean those of us at the end of the pile (for whatever reason) are at a disadvantage? I mean, I know they typically only enroll 35-40 (even though last year's class was closer to 60) so what happens if they offer all of the seats early on and run out of offers? Ugh.

Well, thanks for the update. Let us know if you hear anything else! Good luck...to you too, srh!

I was hoping to hear before the admitted students' event as well! Oh well...Kozo - thanks for letting us know about what they said, I was tempted to call them today but know that they're probably really busy right now!

I don't know whether to be happy or sad about that! They have their admitted students' event tonight, and  I was hoping to know either way about funding beforehand. I'm doubly nervous because if Northwestern's packet makes its way to me today, it'll probably be while I'm at Emerson so I won't see it until late tonight. 

Good luck to both of you! 

I wasn't able to make it out to Boston for the open house tonight, could you (or anyone else) share your impressions of Emerson???

Good luck to both of you! 

I wasn't able to make it out to Boston for the open house tonight, could you (or anyone else) share your impressions of Emerson???

Overall, I was really impressed. This past week I've been leaning more towards MGH, but last night has gotten me all confused again! To start, everyone was really nice: the current students, the faculty, and the admitted students were all very warm. I really like that they emphasized that Emerson is collaborative rather than competitive, and I think that it showed in the attitudes of the people there. 

Since I am out-of-field, I won't be able to start clinic until the second semester, and I was worried about not getting enough experience, but from what the current students were saying, it's really not a big deal to start clinic second semester, and you do get lots of opportunities to see clients. I was also impressed with the Robbins Center. It seems like they really care about serving people from the community, and they seem to get a wide range of ages in their clinic (from infants to elderly stroke patients). From what some of the current students said to me, I got the sense that they're trying to dispel the stereotype that Emerson is all about pediatrics, and it does seem like there will many different opportunities at Emerson.

Another reason why I feel good about Emerson is the class size. There are only 42 students per year and each typical class has 21 students in it. At MGH, you take classes with your whole cohort, so your typical class size is 60. This is pretty significant, and really makes me question MGH. However, I supposed that if you are a proactive student who makes and effort to speak up and talk to professors, it's not that big of a deal. I'm not sure if you're considering MGH as well, but to continue on this note, I think that MGH has more elective options. Emerson has these intersession courses that are only 2 days long, and I think those are the only electives you get to choose. However, it seems that MGH allows you to choose from a wider range of electives, and you take the course for a whole semester. 

I was not very impressed with their research opportunities. It seems like just a few students do a thesis each year, and none of the faculty members could give me a straight answer about how many students are involved in research. This is very disheartening to me because I really want to be involved in research in some capacity.

To sum it up, I think that I would be really happy at Emerson and get a great education. If they give me money, I'm pretty sure that I'll go, but if not, then I may very well end up somewhere else.

To Anyone who has heard from SUNY New Paltz, because my mom is as anxious as i am she checks this site to see if anyone has heard from my schools yet and at like midnight last night new posts for New Paltz came up and she woke me out of a dead sleep to check my email/website and no dice......So I haven't heard back yet, when I called  earlier this week they said everyone would be notified by the end of March. What I'm wondering is...1. where on the website did you see the change and would they put rejected there as well? 2. do they scatter the decisions over time because this is the second round where a few people got results and posted. 3. how silly is it that they give the decision on a weekend day so those still waiting can't call to ask the above questions? lol Congrats though to those who got good responses :)

Thanks in advanced

Has anyone else out there not heard from Emerson yet? Last I heard on Thursday they were still reviewing applications. I have nothing on my portal and have to give NU a response by the 1st, but as Emerson is my top choice I'm hesitant to at this point in time. I know it's highly unlikely I've been accepted at this point since they apparently have had an open house already, but wasn't sure if anyone out there is still awaiting word.

I know they received my application pretty late due to CSDCAS so I wasn't sure if this is also possibly a cause for the delay...