Jump to content

can anyone tell me more about Research PhDs?


Recommended Posts



I want to pursue PhD in Industrial Engineering without leaving my current job, I have heard somewhere about Research PhD's (no coursework) where you can perform research-work without being physically present in campus. This style is more prominent in Europe. Is there anyone who got more information about this? I finished my Masters' in Industrial Engineering from Penn State last semester and planning to perform research work within the company.


Thanks for the help guys :)



Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think what you're looking for is a D.Eng. degree, rather than a PhD in Engineering. From my understanding, the D.Eng. is a more industry focused degree, usually done while working in your field.


That said, most PhDs are predominately research rather than coursework, you just will need to do the research full time, and usually not exclusively for a company.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.