Maryland MPP

Hilldog2016

I was wondering also. I suspected it might be in the ASF under "Check Application Status" (I think I read that's where letters were uploaded last year) but for me it just says that my application is complete.

I just got my Maryland decision, which I'm very happy about, but it came with a letter saying "We are unsure at this point whether we will be able to grant you financial support in the form of scholarships or graduate assistantships. We will contact you further on this matter only if our efforts to secure funding for you are successful. All students always have the opportunity to apply for graduate assistantships in our research centers and across campus, as well as for central financial support in subsequent semesters based on their performance in the program."

Soooooo probably not getting funding :(

I got an email from them on Feb. 16th with the subject line "Decision Status is Available for [Name]." It linked me to my ASF, where I had to log in and download a file (in some format that my computer did not understand at all--I actually had to use a different computer!). At that point I was able to read my acceptance letter (yay!!) saying they were "recommending me to the graduate school." Two days later, I got an email stating that I'd been accepted there, too, with additional info on their April open house. In the same email, I got a letter with a financial aid offer of a half assistantship (double-yay!). So that's how it went down for me.

I've been searching for info on Maryland in these forums and one thing that caught my eye was a post from someone who'd heard that in 2010, they'd given out only half assistantships in order to offer funding to as many people as possible. No clue at all if that was/is true, but it's a thought. So I'm not sure what's the best to hope for.

Hey friends, I just got a financial aid offer from the business side of my dual degree, nothing yet from the policy folks. Just wondering, for those of you who got fin aid offers, were they guaranteed for one year or all? I got guaranteed in-state, tuition remissision, and a scholarship all only guaranteed for the first year...  And it didn't say anything about renewing....

I just read over my MPP financial offer and it says "your graduate assistantship award will continue for your second year of study if you complete at least five of your six core courses and earn at least a 3.70 GPA in those courses during your first year." That GPA minimum seems kind of high to me...

• 4 weeks later...

Bump. I spoke with someone in admissions about them missing the March 1st deadline to which he responded that decisions would be made by March 15th. Anyone heard about Robertson?

Edited by amoroff

I'm sorry to say I don't have anything to contribute to the scholarships topic (didn't apply, none of them fit my interests, alas), but I'm hoping to stir up some more discussion about the Maryland MPP in general...it's looking like a good pick for me, and I'm curious to know what other admits are thinking about it!

For instance, anyone find it odd that they're not doing much to welcome admitted students? Seems that way, at least. Most of the other programs I was admitted to have been flooding me with emails from current students, deans, etc., with info on online chats, Facebook pages, visit days, etc. Just seems kind of silent on the Maryland front.

Edited by mintygreen

I agree, the whole decision process was not very well organized. I got my invite to the accepted student's day before I had even been officially admitted. and then got another email this week from the official grad But, not sure I should judge a program by it's front office. 

I agree, the whole decision process was not very well organized. I got my invite to the accepted student's day before I had even been officially admitted. and then got another email this week from the official grad But, not sure I should judge a program by it's front office. 

I agree--especially since once I finally got through to Taryn Faulkner, she was very friendly and more than helpful. I keep reminding myself how busy programs are at this time of year, and how tough it must be to juggle everything. Still, it's too bad they couldn't get your emails in order!

Anyone planning to visit? I thought I wouldn't be able to make the April 4th open house, but I might be able to make last-minute plans. If not, I hope to go a few days later. I've never been to the DC area and am really eager to see what it and the UMD campus are like.

Anyone else thinking Maryland's a frontrunner for them?

Maryland is a serious contender for me, but George Washington is still my frontrunner. It feels like an impossible choice between the two. I only have two weeks left to make the decision, and am no closer to making the call now than I was a month ago.

I attended GW's admitted students' day the other week, and will be at UMD on April 4th. Anyone interested in meeting up beforehand so that we're not wandering around alone, don't hesitate to message me!

Maryland is a serious contender for me, but George Washington is still my frontrunner. It feels like an impossible choice between the two. I only have two weeks left to make the decision, and am no closer to making the call now than I was a month ago.

I attended GW's admitted students' day the other week, and will be at UMD on April 4th. Anyone interested in meeting up beforehand so that we're not wandering around alone, don't hesitate to message me!

Bummer, I can't be there on visit day! I'll be there the week after (not that I'm cutting it close to the deadline or anything). If you think of it, you should share your thoughts about visit day here! I'm interested to know other people's perspectives.

Even though I'm naturally indecisive as hell, Maryland feels pretty strongly like my best bet...good financial offer, strong programs in both policy and my specific area of interest, nice location. But I'm trying not to jinx it, in case I get there and somehow hate it. Seems unlikely, though.

If you somehow end up at UMD, ThePope, we should swap contact info!