German Studies 2013

uromastyx

Greetings!

So who has applied to programs in German Studies? Where all my pepes be at? Don't be shy! Let's introduce ourselves, ask questions, discuss programs. And, of course, let's chat about notifications, decisions, and general loss of sanity.

Me:

American. Master's degree in German Studies, seeking the PhD. I applied last year and was rejected by every school (10 total). This is round 2. This year I applied to 16 programs total (including one in film). I went a bit overboard due to the current climate and being totally unsure of myself after last year. I'm still (anxiously) waiting to hear from most.

Interests:

Austrian literature (Schnitzler); fin-de-siecle Vienna; psychoanalysis; contemporary Austrian cinema; (gendered) shame; representations of violence

Finally! Someone else! I've been browsing this for months with no luck.

I have a BA in Philosophy from RIT (specialization in German philosophy), minor in German, and I studied abroad in Marburg last summer. My main interests are in Marxism/critical theory, Heidegger, and the Vergangenheitsbewältigung literary movement. I'm still fleshing out my specific literary interests. Otherwise, I'm really into feminist theory, existentialist literature, and aesthetics.

I applied to 10 PhD programs-- Harvard, Cornell, Princeton, Yale, Rutgers, Brown, UPenn, Penn State, U of Toronto, and NYU. So far I've been accepted with full funding to both Penn State and UPenn, waitlisted at Princeton, and passed over at Cornell (sadly, it was my first choice). How are you holding up? I think this week is when I'll hear from most of the rest (I got word from both Cornell and UPenn just this morning).

I'm so glad someone has replied! :D

Congrats on your acceptances. And sorry about your top choice. You have a strong list of schools!

So did you apply for German Studies or philosophy??

So you're applying straight out of undergrad?

I'm still waiting to hear from my top choices in the US, but I fear they might be rejections considering how late it's getting. I found out from an inside source that I wasn't accepted at Yale, which I was quite interested in.

My first notification was from Oxford, which was my #1, so I'm happy about that. But I have to wait until the end of March to hear anything about possible funding (which is VERY slim). Taking my place without any funding at all might be financial suicide. So I'll be visiting some of the schools in the US to weigh my options. But the financial aspect has been keeping me up at night for 3 weeks. So I'm stressed like everyone else :wacko:

Edited by uromastyx

I am only applying to German Studies programs. I am also very interested in Yale, that would probably be my next choice, but I haven't heard anything from them yet. Congrats on Oxford-- that's awesome. And yes, I'm applying directly from undergrad. I felt that I had a strong enough record, so I didn't see any use in waiting.

That's rough about the funding-- I don't blame you for being stressed. I definitely appreciate that the schools that have thus far accepted me have also notified me immediately of the funding situation.

Do you think the lateness is a sign of rejection? I had assumed that most places notified everyone of their standing at once. Plus, judging by some of the postings for German Studies on here from last year, late February was when most received word either way. I'm still holding out hope for a few more of the schools I applied to. Like I said, I'm really hoping for Yale in particular, but I think that might be a long shot. It would be pretty cool if a spot opens up for me at Princeton too-- I've been contacted a few times this week about visiting and meeting the department, so I hope that's a good sign.

Do you think the lateness is a sign of rejection?

Not necessarily. But people haven't been to vocal on the results sections this year. I hope that Yale comes through for you. And spots on the waitlist often open up, not to mention it sounds promising anyways!

I'm guessing by your interests that UPenn isn't a great fit, but it's a strong school and I hear their funding packages are nice.

My I ask how and when Cornell contacted you? I applied there as well, but have heard nothing. And Brown...

Edited by uromastyx

Got a rejection from Yale today. Sigh... Mist. Knew that one was coming. (I'm also quite sure I didn't make it at Harvard, since I didn't get an interview, but I suppose I could conceivably make the waitlist.) Cornell sent me a letter via snail mail.

I think UPenn would actually be a great fit for me. It seems that a lot of grad students there are doing work in feminism and queer theory, which was one of the main secondary areas I was looking into. They also seem to have a pretty big departmental interest in literary theory. And I'm sure I would have opportunities to take a philosophy class or two. At this point, it's looking like a great option. But I think I would take a spot at Princeton, if one ever opens up.

I interviewed with Brown the first Sunday in February, and they said I would be hearing from them in 2-3 weeks. That was two weeks ago, so I would think by Monday at the latest.

I guess I'm not in a bad spot. After hearing back from half the schools I applied to, I have two acceptances, two rejections, and one waitlisted. But it's like the more news I hear, the more anxious I get to hear from the rest!

Yup, my Cornell rejection came in the mail today. If you got an interview from Brown then I'll assume they will reject me as well.

I'm with you though, I'm thrilled to have received what I did, although a bit perplexed as to what some of these programs want.

Will you be visiting any schools? Will you decline Penn State outright?

I will be visiting some programs that I like in the US. I visited Oxford last summer and met with faculty. So at least I know I'd love it there.

I work a lot with psychoanalysis, often with the context of gender and sexuality. I'm sure you've explored the works of the wonderful Judith Butler.

Oh yes, love me some Judy Butler. Psychoanalysis is also an interest of mine, though admittedly most of my exploration has been within the context of the Frankfurt School (Marcuse, etc.). 

It's finals week at my uni right now and next week is our "spring" break (we're on the quarter system), so I was hoping to visit all of them next week, but only UPenn can accommodate that. So I'm visiting them on Monday and Tuesday. Penn State is hosting accepted students March 14-16, and I think I'm going to visit then. I don't want to make any hasty decisions. My profs are really pushing Penn State on me already because of their strong philosophy department, but I don't think it's a good fit. Their German program seems to have a lot of emphasis on linguistics, which isn't my cup of tea. But anyway. Princeton is having me visit on the weekend of March 29th, which is when they're having their conference.

Perhaps I'll hear from a few more this week, and maybe squeeze one or two more visits in over break. I've been stuck in this dreary city ever since I got back from Germany in August. It'll do me good to get out of town.

And don't give up hope for Brown yet-- in an exchange with the graduate coordinator, he said "We have not conducted Skype interviews in the past, but might start doing so this year if our applicant pool warrants it." That doesn't necessarily mean that you're out if you didn't get one. Maybe they just wanted to check on my German :)

For me, the choice between UPenn and Penn St would be an easy one. But I agree, visits are great to get a feel for fit. The last thing one wants is to show and hate the place they've committed themselves to for 5+ years.

I would think that if Brown did any interviews they'd interview everyone of interest. I'll just have to wait for my decision to arrive.

Where were you in Germany?

hey you two, 

i've applied to the area studies program at cornell german but i haven't heard/received anything yet.

thus i was wondering: if you log into your cornell online application - what does it say under "status"? mine still says "in progress".

thanks a lot!

there is no such thing as the "best" german program. it pretty much depends on your interests. there are programs with a theoretical emphasis, programs with a literary emphasis, program foregrounding modernity, others focussing on earlier periods. also, there is the question of methodology: how do you want your work to operate? in a structuralist way? a post-structuralist way? do you want to be a marxist critic? or an analytical scholar? the answers to all these questions determine the program which is best for you.

in terms of funding, however, the ivy schools rule.

fascinating. another question: do you think, it's easier to find a job after graduating from harvard (german) than from indiana (german), even the second program is as good as the first one (or maybe better)?

These are both top programs, so no. It comes down to a lot more than an Ivy name. Indiana often ranks higher due to placement record. Placement record should also be a factor!