German Studies 2013

uromastyx

These are both top programs, so no. It comes down to a lot more than an Ivy name. Indiana often ranks higher due to placement record. Placement record should also be a factor!

Hi uromastyx! I am new to all of this, but do you mind me asking what program at Minnesota you applied to? 

Hi uromastyx! I am new to all of this, but do you mind me asking what program at Minnesota you applied to? 

I applied to the German Studies track, but have already begun Swedish and would continue with Scandinavian Studies if I went there. As such, I would possibly look to switch to the German/Scandinavian PhD track.

Uromastyx, I was in Marburg for the summer. Took classes at Speak + Write Institut. Did quite a bit of traveling apart from that, too. For those wondering about funding, Penn State offers about $17,000 plus $3000 summer support. UPenn offered me $24,000 plus $4000 summer support. I feel like those are pretty good indicators of range, from my understanding. So, anyone familiar with wait list protocol? I have no idea when I'll find out if a spot has opened up for me at Princeton, and I am very interested. They're having me visit on March 29th for their conference, which will be mad awkward if I don't get offered a spot. But I'm really hoping to know before then... Meh. Angst. Anyone heard from NYU, Toronto, Rutgers, Brown, or Harvard?

Uromastyx, I was in Marburg for the summer. Took classes at Speak + Write Institut. Did quite a bit of traveling apart from that, too. For those wondering about funding, Penn State offers about $17,000 plus $3000 summer support. UPenn offered me $24,000 plus $4000 summer support. I feel like those are pretty good indicators of range, from my understanding. So, anyone familiar with wait list protocol? I have no idea when I'll find out if a spot has opened up for me at Princeton, and I am very interested. They're having me visit on March 29th for their conference, which will be mad awkward if I don't get offered a spot. But I'm really hoping to know before then... Meh. Angst. Anyone heard from NYU, Toronto, Rutgers, Brown, or Harvard?

Very cool!

And the price tag with the Ivies reflects the amount of money there, and not always the quality of program. But 28K/year is suh-weet!

I do know that Harvard does interviews. Did you get one? But I didn't apply to these schools :( In hindsight I should have applied to Harvard, Stanford, and Columbia. Such is life.

Well that was odd... the interview went very well (we talked for almost 45 minutes) and he said that they were "extremely, extremely interested" but really didn't give me a time table in terms of finding out whether or not I'd be accepted. He seemed to be trying very hard to sell me on Rutgers, but I don't know, it was very strange.

Well that was odd... the interview went very well (we talked for almost 45 minutes) and he said that they were "extremely, extremely interested" but really didn't give me a time table in terms of finding out whether or not I'd be accepted. He seemed to be trying very hard to sell me on Rutgers, but I don't know, it was very strange.

1) 45 mins 2) "extremely, extremely interested" 3) they are selling the program

You may expect the acceptance in the near future. Congrats!

My interview at Minnesota was similar. They were definitely trying to sell it to me. And it worked!

Well, I was waitlisted at Michigan today, post interview. I'm somewhat surprised by this, but this is the game we play.

I've gotten the ball rolling for a couple of campus visits, which I'm looking forward to.

I've heard nothing from Carolina-Duke, which I was hoping for. It seems late for them, so this is probably not great news.

But I'm really just twiddling my thumbs waiting for my prospective college at Oxford. My friend said it takes about 3 weeks to hear, but it's been 4 already. (The website states upwards of 8-10.) blah :(

Ah, I know a prof in the German department at Minnesota (came to a conference at my uni... on Epictetus, funnily enough) and he was an awesome guy. I thought about applying there but decided that I really didn't want to live in Minnesota...

I'm seriously getting impatient, but I'm really looking forward to my visit to UPenn in a few days. They just sent me the itinerary and it looks like I get to meet just about everyone.

yuuup. my rejection from Brown came today as well. :( had i not gotten into my #1 i'd be suuuper bummed about not get in at #2-#5. such is life. we can't win them all. i didn't apply to NYU.

Edited by uromastyx

I'm not sure if this is the exact place I should post this, but I thought maybe you guys could help.I was accepted to UC Irvine's and University of Washington's German PhD programs and received funding for 5 years, as well as a fellowship for my first year at both universities. I am very interested in theory, and am aware of Irvine's concentration thereof, but wanted to hear some other opinions. 

I'm not sure if this is the exact place I should post this, but I thought maybe you guys could help.I was accepted to UC Irvine's and University of Washington's German PhD programs and received funding for 5 years, as well as a fellowship for my first year at both universities. I am very interested in theory, and am aware of Irvine's concentration thereof, but wanted to hear some other opinions. 

Indeed, Irvine has a theoretical focus, but Washington also offers this aspect. I believe the latter has a certificate. I think this decision will truly be a matter of personal preference. Which fits you best? Which faculty best align with your interests? Placement?

Hopefully you can visit each and see which fits.

Also, please do add your notifications to the results board to help document the method/date of these programs.

Edited by uromastyx

Indeed, Irvine has a theoretical focus, but Washington also offers this aspect. I believe the latter has a certificate. I think this decision will truly be a matter of personal preference. Which fits you best? Which faculty best align with your interests? Placement? Hopefully you can visit each and see which fits.   Also, please do add your notifications to the results board to help document the method/date of these programs.
Indeed, Irvine has a theoretical focus, but Washington also offers this aspect. I believe the latter has a certificate. I think this decision will truly be a matter of personal preference. Which fits you best? Which faculty best align with your interests? Placement? Hopefully you can visit each and see which fits.   Also, please do add your notifications to the results board to help document the method/date of these programs.
sorry, I'm new ton this and don't quite exactly know what you mean by that sorry. Thank you for the advice also.

Verisa, yes I visited Rutgers. I have to say I was not impressed. There were some logistical glitches (my appointments were late or never showed up at all, they put me up with a grad student after telling me I would be in a hotel, etc.), but ultimately it did not seem like a very serious program. I talked to a grad student who had just transferred there. He was the youngest in the program at 27 years old, which was odd to me, just having turned 22. He said most of the students there did not have academic aspirations but were just killing time, essentially. Big red flag. The faculty were very nice and seemed very competent, but I was concerned that there weren't really any requirements for the program (like a literature survey course, z.B.). It just wasn't right for me. But then again, this was directly after my visit to Penn, which really blew me away.

Also, I was speaking to the chair at Penn on Monday, and she said that she knew that the committees at NYU and Harvard hadn't met yet. But another prof in their department told me that one of their undergrads had already been rejected from Harvard. I haven't heard a thing, which is weird, because I know I didn't make their shortlist (didn't get an interview). I guess we'll have to wait and see...

Hallo zusammen,

I applied to seven programs and have three acceptances and two rejections so far. I'm still waiting on the last two, but I highly doubt I'll get admitted at this point.

@uromastyx: Wow, what did you do differently this year? I admire that you tried again; I don't think my ego could stand the pressure. Congrats on all the acceptances! What schools are you going to visit? I also got into Minnesota; will you be there for the recruitment weekend?

@FreeLindsey: It seems like visiting does make a lot of sense! Would you have expected that? I'll be leaving for the US tomorrow and hope to see all the schools, but nothing is definite yet.

sorry to hear about your rejections from harvard and nyu, lindsey! i don't know about harvard - but as for nyu, it's really a shame, the department they have seems very interesting. when/how did you hear about it?