Discussion thread for current and future SLP master's students planning to do a PhD!

Tuck

How many of you would like to do a PhD after your clinical master's?

Will you do a CFY and get your C's? Take some time off to work? Go straight through?

What's your plan for bolstering your PhD applications while doing the master's?

Why did you decide to do a clinical degree first instead of going straight for the PhD?

Do you have an idea about your research topic?

Anything else?

There seemed to be some interest about this in the applications thread, and I thought it would give us something productive to discuss while we wait to hear from schools.  :-)

Edited by tuckerma

I would like to do a PhD after doing my MS, but I'll definitely take some time off in between.

I'm hoping to get on-the-job experience, which will hopefully lead to a better idea of what I would like to research & how (& with whom!), as well as what is already being done. I decided not to go straight through because I've actually been in a PhD program before (modern European history, actually) and just know that it is a very, very long time to be in school.  It works for some, but I was feeling completely cut off & isolated in the world of academia.

My plan to bolster the eventual PhD application is to do a research thesis to complete the MS, rather than take additional elective courses.  I'm sure there will also be a great deal of networking involved, getting to know other scholars with my particular interests.  I'm also hoping to eventually work in a medical setting where it is encouraged to both practice & conduct research.

My research topic is extraordinarily vague & tentative, seeing as how I haven't even started my MS program yet, but I am very interested in the interactions between fluent multilingualism and neurogenic brain disorders - including treatment / therapies for patients meeting that criteria.

I'm feeling incredibly naive as I type this, because I'm really not sure how feasible this all is.  I'd love to hear from people who have actually done it / are in the process.

I've been working on my undergrad honors thesis for the past year-ish, and I have made up my mind that (for the near future) research is NOT for me :P However, I am definitely interested in pursuing a clinical doctorate if/when those programs become widely available.  

I could also possibly see myself trying the PhD thing much later down the road.... like after i start/raise a family of my own and have free time :) I will only be 22 when I finish my M.S., so I'd like to have a few decades away from school, then go back as an older student. Oh, and if this ever happens, I think I would like to either continue what I've been doing for my undergrad thesis (examining the accuracy of artic/phonology tests and creating new, supplemental scoring methods that give a more complete picture of the kid's abilities) or do something related to literacy and learning disabilities in the school-aged population.

I am interested in a doctorate... I am undecided if I want to go with the research or the clinical doctorate. I am leaning heavily towards research. I am very interested in TBI or neurogenic disorders at the moment but that could change. I am out of field, so I definitely want to get the clinical masters and some experience before jumping into the doctoral program.

Hoping for a GA or RA during my time as a masters student. RA would be ideal of course, because I may have a chance to work with a prof who could be a good advisor or recommender. I applied at two universities for my masters where they also have a PhD program that I REALLY like- USC and ECU. Part of me thought that if I would like their doctorate, maybe I would be even better prepared by doing the masters program with them. But... I also figured I would apply elsewhere, to increase the likelihood of acceptance, and to give me some other options at higher ranked places, or even a smaller cohort of students so I can get more individualized attention... We will see!!

Thinking about getting through my CFY, maybe another two to three years of work after that to make some headway on the student loans, but then want to go back. I had a prof who did her PhD with Nova and was able to work through the process... I might be looking into that because by that time we will probably want to start having kids. I am already nearing 29 and not getting any younger! If not that, we are going to try to move to be close to Columbia SC OR Greenville NC. And I will just apply to them and we will start our family there.

I have been talking with my post-back SLP program professors about preparing for grad school as well as preparing for a possible PhD application, and the best thing I heard so far is this: start looking at what research is being done. Read through some programs thesis listings. If you see a topic of interest, start reading their papers.

That's my plan... Hopefully this summer while I still have online access to the Longwood Univ. library. :-)

Edited by kcald716

Thinking about getting through my CFY, maybe another two to three years of work after that to make some headway on the student loans, but then want to go back. I had a prof who did her PhD with Nova and was able to work through the process... I might be looking into that because by that time we will probably want to start having kids. I am already nearing 29 and not getting any younger! If not that, we are going to try to move to be close to Columbia SC OR Greenville NC. And I will just apply to them and we will start our family there.

That's smart to try and get some work experience/CFY before going back to school. I know I definitely want to start earning/saving money before pursuing any type of additional schooling... otherwise, i will be paying student loans back forever! :P 

What's sad is that I already have one masters degree loans to pay for. I have made some headway on them the past 6 years but they will be in deferment when I go back to school full-time, AND I have gotten loans to pay for my post-bacc SLP classes. So I am just imagining how horrendously high the overall amount will be when I get out of just the MS. Whew! Thankfully my undergrad was in a full academic scholarship; otherwise I would be up a creek without a paddle!

Edited by kcald716

I've been working on my undergrad honors thesis for the past year-ish, and I have made up my mind that (for the near future) research is NOT for me :P However, I am definitely interested in pursuing a clinical doctorate if/when those programs become widely available.  

That statement fits me perfectly. I am interested in working in a medical setting for about ten to fifteen years; learning as much as possible about traumatic brain injuries and everything that goes with them. I then would like to do a clinical doctorate and move to Peru (where I now am) and teach doctors or future speech-language pathologists. There is a dire need here and I don't see any change in the near future. Medical and school SLPs are really needed down here.

Wow, Peru!  I can't convince my husband to move much past NC, SC, or even the southern part of VA or the northern part of GA... and I kind of don't want to move too far from home either.  That does sound like a great opportunity to work or teach abroad!  From what I have heard, American-trained medical professionals in fields like SLP and others are in very high demand elsewhere.  Thankfully there are limits on enrollment in the US so the market isn't flooded with SLP's... so I'm very hopeful that I'll be able to find a job after I (get accepted and then) graduate. 

I'm really hoping to work abroad after graduating - although, my partner's career isn't as flexible.  I'd love a position that would allow me to work abroad 3-6 months of the year & the rest of the time here at home, but I don't know that those positions exist.

My ultimate goal is to do a PhD and eventually have a career in research and academia. However, I am an out-of-field student (with prereqs) and I don't quite feel ready for that yet.

I met with a career counselor and CSD faculty at several universities to talk about my career path, and I decided that doing a clinical master's degree first would be a good idea.One faculty member told me that although she had never used her clinical degree, she felt it made her a better researcher. Several people pointed out that having the CCC and a clinical degree makes faculty candidates more desireable - especially at smaller schools, because they are looking for faculty who can teach in both areas.

Of course, some faculty who went straight for the PhD said I should go that route, but I just feel like I need a broader background first. Additionally, I think having the Master's degree would make me a more competitive applicant for top tier schools and fellowships.

I want to do a thesis during my Master's and hopefully get a publication out of it. I selected schools with a thesis option and with faculty working in my area of interest to facilitate this. The plan (for now) is to go straight through from the Master's program to a CFY to a PhD program, so I will be thinking about what I can do to strenghten my C.V. and PhD applications from DAY ONE of the M.S. program. (Suggestions welcome on that front!)

I am anxious about the debt issue, but I know that this is what I want to do, and it's not going to get any easier nor any cheaper. I'm shooting for some funding for the PhD, and I'll be able to defer my Master's program loans during that time. I know this is going to be hard, but I'm excited!