Is it a bad idea to tell a school that it is your first choice?

Let's say you interview somewhere and you know that the final decision will be made partly based on who they think are most likely to accept their offers. Would it be a good strategy to tell the school directly that they are your first choice and you would accept the offer? Or is that somehow a faux pas?

Whoever is interviewing you wants to know that you have put serious thought into your decision.  Their feeling is that it might be a decision that requires more thought that just the span of time you have in an interview.  I would express a high level of interest - speak to your desire to work in a specific area of research/focus, perhaps even suggest that there are a lot of positives for you to move to that area, to continue your studies in whatever program there... etc.  I personally would keep away from basically handing them the blank check on your acceptance.  Let them pursue you, too. 

Let's say you interview somewhere and you know that the final decision will be made partly based on who they think are most likely to accept their offers. Would it be a good strategy to tell the school directly that they are your first choice and you would accept the offer? Or is that somehow a faux pas?

I would have to agree with kcald. I wouldn't outright tell them that: it actually might sound desperate. Instead, I'd emphasize the resources you'd take advantage of, what you might bring to the campus, etc. 

I think there's only one situation in which it would make sense to tell them that, and that's if you've received all of your decisions, you're waitlisted, and truly mean that if you got in, you'd definitely accept. Don't do it before they've even made their first decisions - that means you also haven't gotten all of yours, and you want to be able to genuinely choose between your options without committing yourself early. If you tell them they're your top choice, they let you in, and then you take your time deciding or even eventually accept another offer, it's considered pretty bad form.

Basically seconding kcald's advice. Don't jump the gun. Keep some cards in your hands.

Do it. In an interview for the program I'm currently attending, I told the school directly that they were my first choice. I think it helped me come off as serious and focused. Letting a program know you really want to be there can be especially helpful if your background is interdisciplinary and/or not totally aligned with the program your interviewing for (e.g., if you have a degree in Latin American Studies and your applying for a History program.)

I have plainly told schools in my top picks that they are among my top choices ---- to me, that is different from going the extra step to tell them you'd accept the offer if given.  I felt as though telling them they were one of my top choices helped my case because my program is very competitive and my grades from 7 years ago don't look as "hot" looking as the grades from the 2012 graduates fresh out of school.  However, committing to accepting a potential offer of admission, and possibly later taking time to think about it looks unmatched and speaks something about your character to the adcomm - that you'd say whatever you need to say to get the offer.  As far as part 1, I see no harm in letting them know that they are your one of your top picks.

ETA: I meant to type "one of your top picks" rather than "first choice" because obviously you need to keep the ace in your hand. :-)

Edited by kcald716

Agreed with katzenmusik. I interviewed somewhere that was my top choice, and made it clear that I was very interested but considering other programs as well. They nominated me for a special fellowship, I think largely because they wanted to convince me to come. So don't play all your cards too soon!