Visiting Day Question

Hey everyone, I have a random question about attending visiting days at schools. Is it ok to bring a spouse/ partner/ friend/ family member, or someone like that? Or is it better to just go alone? I understand that there are some things this individual would not be able to participate in, like individual meetings with POIs. But what about receptions? Sitting in on a class? 

Hey everyone, I have a random question about attending visiting days at schools. Is it ok to bring a spouse/ partner/ friend/ family member, or someone like that? Or is it better to just go alone? I understand that there are some things this individual would not be able to participate in, like individual meetings with POIs. But what about receptions? Sitting in on a class? 
I'd go stag for classes and receptions.

Unless they specifically say "bring partners/spouses/etc." I would just assume you are the only one invited.  Now, that certainly wouldn't preclude your partner from coming to the city with you and spending some time getting a feel for the locale and how they would feel about living there, but for all school-related activities, it's better to go solo.

I don't think my partner will join me for any classes; after all, as a software engineer, he would be bored out of his mind. The plan is this: while I do all of the prospective graduate student activities (meeting POIs and fellow students, sitting in on classes, etc), he will scope out the town and places to live. I might bring him around the department to meet the faculty and staff after the formal events are finished, but that's it. I think he's quite grateful for this arrangement. 

I had this same question, so I asked if it would be okay for my partner to come with me to the welcome reception, and they said yes, absolutely. I would just ask. I feel like these places know that choosing a doctoral program is a HUGE decision that requires you to consider all aspects of your life. If your partner/spouse is a part of that, it makes sense that you would want them to be there and get their input as well. 

Thanks for the advice everyone. The person I have in mind would enjoy sitting in on a class and meeting professors. He has an MA in English, but went on to a JD. He is still an avid reader/ studier of English, and often reads the texts I am reading for my classes and the notes I take in class. But I do agree that some of this I will have to do alone, so I will just have to tell him that. I will also ask the program though if he can attend larger events. Thanks everyone!

Hey guys -- I created an updated spreadsheet based on greekdaph's question list, and was going to upload it/share it here, but I can NOT figure out how to post an attachment -- I found in my profile where to manage attachments that have already been uploaded, and see in the help files directions about uploading (which are not helpful because it starts from "click the button to upload"), but don't see the option to upload files in these posts or on my profile.  Sorries.

If attachment is a feature still possible on these forums and anyone wants to see my spreadsheet for example and/or to skip the work of creating your own, then please to provide me with some attachment help ;).