Haven't heard from... well, lots of places

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I'm going out of my mind waiting for Columbia to just reject me already. I applied to seven programs, was rejected from six unless you want to count that offer for the MAPH from UChicago, unfunded of course. I had assumed Chicago was a rejection since I hadn't heard from them, and I see that Columbia has already sent out a lot of rejections. Any chance they might offer people MAs later in March or something? The website says you have to write a letter to be considered for the MA AFTER being rejected from the MA-PhD program, but that's hard to do if you don't have a stupid rejection letter. Blah. I keep checking the website but no news at all. Anyone else waiting for a Columbia decision?

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I'm going out of my mind waiting for Columbia to just reject me already. I applied to seven programs, was rejected from six unless you want to count that offer for the MAPH from UChicago, unfunded of course. I had assumed Chicago was a rejection since I hadn't heard from them, and I see that Columbia has already sent out a lot of rejections. Any chance they might offer people MAs later in March or something? The website says you have to write a letter to be considered for the MA AFTER being rejected from the MA-PhD program, but that's hard to do if you don't have a stupid rejection letter. Blah. I keep checking the website but no news at all. Anyone else waiting for a Columbia decision?

I have also been periodically checking the website, to no avail! I am assuming rejection but why I didn't receive a rejection last week when most of them went out is puzzling. I'm going crazy over here.

On Maryland, I wonder if anyone wants to claim the acceptance that was posted today. I was accepted into the program over the weekend after previously being emailed about being at the top of the waitlist, and another gradcafe poster told me they received a similar email about having a high chance of getting in. I'm not sure if they have received official admission yet, but it seems odd that someone else was contacted via phone for the first time, without knowing they were on the waitlist. Maybe more students have declined than they expected?

Please post if you get a response, skybythelight. They ignored my last message (sent 2/22). I also just really want my rejection at this point. 

I definitely will! Nothing yet. The last response I got from them was around that time, 2/21 I believe, so I thought a sufficient amount of time had passed so as not to be too annoying by writing again.

I've been rejected from Columbia, so either I'm exceptionally uninteresting or they're still thinking about you guys or both.

Also, interzone, I think they've already notified for Toronto (I was accepted, and from the results listings, it looks like they notified enough people that they have probably notified all of them).  I wouldn't bet money on it, and not just because I don't have any, but that's what I think.

Thanks for your response, Lons, but I'm going for the MA!

I heard on March 8th by email last year, so you might hear this week! I think they follow up with the MA decisions pretty quick--they occasionally offer MA applicants admission to the Direct Entry PhD instead, so they've probably looked at all the applicants, both MA and PhD, by now. Good luck!

I would love it if everyone that's being rejected from Florida would let us know whether or not they prompted the university for the rejection (you know, emailing about application status). It just doesn't make any sense to me that they'd reject one at a time like this otherwise.

I applied for the MA, as they don't have an MA/PhD program, and it's basically my last hope. WHERE IS MY DECISION, FLORIDA? *runs around in circles* One cannot live off the Michigan wait list alone!

Seriously though, Penn State is the worst with this stuff. I think I mentioned somewhere previously that I applied there last year and when I called at the end of March, they were still giving me that "we're still making decisions" nonsense. I think my rejection finally arrived around April 20th. My favorite rejection, though, was from Maryland. They offered me their "consolation" MA in the most terse letter I've ever received, and it was completely riddled with spelling errors. A few hours later I received it again, with a note at the top apologizing for the bad spelling in the first one. Nothing like two rejections from one school in the same day. All this to say that you may NEVER hear from some of these places. If I had known about the results search at the time, I probably would have saved myself a lot of hope.

Um yes. Maryland's MA offer email to me was literally two sentences. "We are happy to admit you to our MA if you're interested." Oh, if I'm interested? It's just bizarre. Looks like it was written on the way to lunch. Anyway, their MA does NOT feed into their PhD, so why would any PhD hopefuls WANT to attend? It's not even a consolation prize at that point.

I STILL have not heard from NYU, Harvard, or Toronto. Seriously, what is going on? I'm sure they are all rejections at this point, but jesus, I just want a formal "no." I have a decision to make and a thesis to write, and the considerate thing to do would be for them to get their rejections out soon.

Well, a post on the results board says that Columbia's done sending out acceptances and is still in the process of notifying the rest of the applicants? I don't understand if this means there's a waitlist or if they're just annoyingly slow with rejections. I just want to know :(

Well, a post on the results board says that Columbia's done sending out acceptances and is still in the process of notifying the rest of the applicants? I don't understand if this means there's a waitlist or if they're just annoyingly slow with rejections. I just want to know :(

But it would that they have already sent out a large bulk of their rejections from the boards. I'm so confused.

But it would that they have already sent out a large bulk of their rejections from the boards. I'm so confused.

If you look at the Results Search for Columbia from last year, I think it followed a similar pattern--a huge slew of rejections, then a weird,  week-long lull and then another slew. Maybe the timing is weird because they have to go through the graduate school rather than the department?

If you look at the Results Search for Columbia from last year, I think it followed a similar pattern--a huge slew of rejections, then a weird,  week-long lull and then another slew. Maybe the timing is weird because they have to go through the graduate school rather than the department?

That makes sense. Or perhaps they have some weird process by which they discuss applications for certain areas of study first, send the rejections, and then move on to other areas? Who knows.

That makes sense. Or perhaps they have some weird process by which they discuss applications for certain areas of study first, send the rejections, and then move on to other areas? Who knows.

We can only hope it's the latter.