Brown Biostatistics PhD: Multiple Rounds of Reviews

mmajum01

Hi All,

I just heard from the department that they are doing multiple rounds of PhD application reviews at Brown Biostatistics. For those of us who submitted on the deadline (January 5th), the committee will be convening to discuss our applications sometime soon. We should be hearing by the end of next week.

They've already put out decisions for applicants who submitted earlier, though I'm unsure as to what the cut-off date was. Interesting process... It seems then that applying on the day an application is due would put someone at a disadvantage!

Any other information on Brown Biostatistics is welcome!

Maia

Brown's biostats program is very careful with its admissions process, as they only aim to admit 3 or so doctoral students per year. During the (first? only?) interview/recruitment weekend this year, there were only about 8 applicants present per arm of their public health program (biostats, epi, health services research).

Despite being relatively small, the biostats department is doing some extremely interesting work. They're definitely among the top picks of the schools to which I applied. Fingers crossed that we all hear some good news soon.

I sent in my app to Brown in mid-December (along with all the ones that were due on Dec 15th). I received one of the unfortunate rejections today - just a basic letter saying (paraphrasing), "thanks for your interest. We receive many capable and qualified applicants and can unfortunately only accept a select few. Unfortunately you were not selected for admission for 2013-2014. Good luck."

It's unfortunate and I'm a little disappointed, but I knew ahead of time that my chances at any one school could be low, and Brown especially has a small department. Oh well, that's why I applied to 11 schools... Still waiting on Yale, Boston, Pitt, Vanderbilt, and UNC.... And on that, Im still surprised I haven't heard anything from UNC yet given multiple admission posts on the survey. I can't imagine they haven't reviewed my app yet having submitted it 2 months ago... At least I can hold on to a little hope until its final

Edited by Noco7

So for those who submitted before the deadline, were all the decisions made? I saw some rejections for Brown today (but no acceptances)..

I've got not idea... Maybe try emailing Beth Clark? She's very kind and responsive.

Health quant, do you know if offers are made only (or mostly) to those invited for recruitment day?

I don't know for certain, but if they're doing more rounds of reviews, then it seems their offers wouldn't be limited to people who attended that day. Given the strength of their program, I imagine that Brown's yield is good, but it's still possible that they could exhaust their initial list of interviewees without filling every slot, as those initial people are probably receiving multiple competitive offers. I think that at this point, we should consider no news to be good news (which also applies to any other schools from whom we haven't heard).

Edited by health_quant

• 2 weeks later...

According to the first post, shouldn't all results be emailed out today?

Any news guys?

Hey! I got my decision letter (notified by email and directed to website) last week on Friday. Unfortunately, a rejection - but I suppose it makes sense given the fact that my research interests only aligned with one faculty member who happens to be a newcomer to the department. It was worth a shot though! Any news yet for you?

Hey! I got my decision letter (notified by email and directed to website) last week on Friday. Unfortunately, a rejection - but I suppose it makes sense given the fact that my research interests only aligned with one faculty member who happens to be a newcomer to the department. It was worth a shot though! Any news yet for you?

got waitlisted :(