Online Course for Microeconomics

deadhead47

Hey guys,

Because I have never completed a Microeconomics course, I have to take an online course before enrolling in a graduate school.

Initially, I was looking into the University of Phoenix website.

http://www.phoenix.edu/courses/eco/eco365.html

However, recently I found out that UCB offers a great online course for Micro as well (and it's a lot cheaper!)

http://extension.berkeley.edu/catalog/course495.html 

I was just wondering if any of you have ever completed an undergrad-level online course (for Micro or other)!

Would you have any advise like 'take an UCB course because its highly regarded' or 'Phoenix is more expensive but easier', etc?

Just for your info, Phoenix is about $1,700 + text book while UCB is merely $900 + text book but I'd rather get a better grade than saving some extra $1,000.

Please let me know what you think!

Hey, I recommend coursera, there is one now from urbana champaign and if you want a signed certificate it only costs 70 bucks, im taking a programing course there and they are great and free if you dontneed the diploma

I'm skeptical that any of these will convince an admissions committee. A few years ago I talked to some admissions directors who recommended cheap but reputable programs in the DC area. I think they do care where you take these classes.

Have any of you talked to admissions officers about Coursera? What did they say?

No idea, Im taking those classes because I needed to be able to use R for work and didn´t have the time (or place as no classes are offered where I live) to learn them, but I didn´t really need a certificate just wanted to know how to program and I can safely say the class has been excellent. 

Fort Hays State Univ. in Kansas offers 100% online classes with the same price for instate or out of state students and it is a real college where the coursework will be recognized. I think for micro-econ it cost me about $500. It was a pretty simply process and interaction with the professor was optional, i.e. no mandatory postings on class message boards, etc.

Have you considered taking it online from a local community college (or I guess evevn a not so local college)? Thats what I did and it was a LOT cheaper than 500 dollars. I think it was like 250 or something. I took two courses while I was applying for schools and all the programs seemed to be totally cool with it.

I personally think the course quality will be at least as good as only online programs. I have a weird bias agaisnt any fully online programs though, so perhaps I just like to imagine actual professors teaching in acutal classrooms. UCB will almost certinaly be better, but to be honest its just a lower division economics class. I think you will get the information either way.

@MPPgal

@awphenomenally

Thank you for your responses!

I will look into Coursera.

It seems that there is a class I might be able to enroll prior to the Fall 2013 semester.

https://www.coursera.org/course/steinmicro (Apr 8th 2013 (9 weeks long))

My only concern is that I'm not sure if "a Statement of Accomplishment signed by the instructor" is enough.

I asked Georgetown SFS and they said that as long as a course is 1. accredited and 2. gives you a grade it doesn't matter which institution I take it (either online or not).

Do you think Coursera passes that criteria?

@understatement700

I checked the website but it seems like I have to apply to HFSU and be enrolled in an online class.

I appreciate your comment but I might just take an easier option of enrolling in UCB, UP or Coursera.

@spacezeppelin

Thank you for your comment and TBH that was my initial plan.

The problem was that when I decided to enroll in a course I already missed the deadline.

That's why I'm doing it online but I guess it's more flexible.
Also, since I'm an international student who's graduating this year I have to go back to Japan during summer for visa renewal.

I would contact admissions officers before doing anything. Could be they'd just disregard an online course, especially if it's not graded and can't give you a transcript. 

I had the same problem and I emailed a lot of schools to ask what they recommend.

SIS(American) advised a local community college. Someone from SIPA mentioned coursera but she said she can't vouch for it. Maxwell gave no specific recommendations.

My problem is that I did take a combined micro and macro course in undergrad and have a solid quantitative background being an engineering student, but I don't know if this will be enough.

I was thinking it would be better if I could take an online course which would give me a transcript. Any recommendations?

I'm an international student so I know nothing about community colleges and such.

I would say you will probably be fine, if you go into the "intermediate micro" syllabus of GPPI it really is equivalent to an introductory micro one (the one you would take after intro to economics in most schools). Therefore, I would just take the coursera one to freshen up elasticity and that type of concepts and then maybe a get a more math based book so you learn the basic calculus behind it.

I would say you will probably be fine, if you go into the "intermediate micro" syllabus of GPPI it really is equivalent to an introductory micro one (the one you would take after intro to economics in most schools). Therefore, I would just take the coursera one to freshen up elasticity and that type of concepts and then maybe a get a more math based book so you learn the basic calculus behind it.

Thanks. That was the idea. But what if some schools ask me to take up an eco course before enrolling? I want something graded.

Hey, I have a semi-related question that I didn't feel like warranted its own thread, so I'll tack it on here. I know SAIS (and, I presume, other schools) will often admit people contingent upon them completing econ coursework before matriculation. Does the same thing ever happen with mathematics coursework? 

Yeah, I am taking two econ classes right now (micro and macro) at a community college (so it's for sure accredited and the units count) and everything is online. It was only $300 but that would depend what state you're doing it in. I am planning to apply for MPP programs in Fall '13, so thought I'd get a head start since I never took econ in undergrad.

@rudy2012

Which community college do you use??

@understatement700

I see!

Thank you!

I might do it at Fort Hays after all.

If I have to go to UCB to take an exam, then I can't do it...although I live in California Berkeley's too far (Phoenix, on the other hand, is doable but too expensive).

I am doing it at Solano Community College (I am in California)..I originally was going to do the classes at the CC in my hometown, but the classes were full so I just picked a different school and it's been smooth sailing thus far..

I see...thank you!!

Is it completely online or do you have to go to the community college to take exams?

Also, can I enroll anytime of the year?

Please let me know!

Edited by deadhead47

It is 100% online - all tests and finals are online, there is no going to the campus. You can't sign up anytime, as Spring semester has already started, but they may have summer semester online econ classes available (which would start in May and would be done by July or August), you just need to check the class schedule on the website. I assume this would be true for mostly any community college throughout CA.

Thanks for all this information rudy2012 :) 

I'm going to keep checking both Solano and Fort Hays for updates on summer classes.

@deadhead47 Let me know which school you decide to enroll in. I wanted to take up a foreign language as well so I'll do that now and take up eco courses in summer.

@rudy2012

Thank you so much for your info!!

It was really helpful :)

@av260987

All right!

I will still keep looking for an online course that I can complete in this semester--like Phoenix or UCB but cheaper--, but I will let you know!

hi all,

i applied to a few programs for Fall 2013 and am currently taking intro to macroecon from UC berkeley online. planning to take microecon next. It is insanely easy and not a lot of work so i wouldn't worry about grade. I don't think grad programs look at it like online vs. in person unless maybe its an all online university like university of phoenix. the class im taking is also offered in person and i dont think it would differentiate on transcript. also for those who asked, you can find a proctor in your area, you dont have to go to the school to take the final. I dont think coursera would count bc you dont receive credits, most schools want a 3 credit course at least, but it might be different depending on the program. 

hope that helps!

I took Macro and Micro online last year before starting grad school.  I'm now at Georgetown, and they accepted both.

I took Micro first, while I was still applying, through UCB.  The course was actually really great (I took it there even though it was a little pricy for the name, since I was still applying) with active feedback and ability to email with the professor.  To take the final, you just have to have the exam sent to any testing center near you and then they mail it to UCB.  This can be like a standard testing center, or as I did, a local college.

I took Macro after I had been accepted, and just needing to fulfill a requirement.  I took that at straighterline - http://www.straighterline.com/online-college-courses/online-business-courses/economics-i-macroeconomics/ which was not nearly as good, but got the job done for cheap.  It's basically $99, if you can do the course quickly - sign up for the trial (which isn't much of a trial) and then wait to sign up, and they give you the course for free.  I did my course in a month, and since you pay $99/month to be part of straighterline, I didn't have to pay much.  And they are legit credits.  However, I don't feel like it was a good course, since the online tutoring didn't do it for me.  UCB was way better, but also 7x the cost.  Depends on what you need it for - it's worth it if you need the credits and aren't too worried about your ability to teach yourself (It ook Macro back in undergrad but didn't get a good grade, so it was mostly review for me).

But as others said, there are tons of places that do these online courses, and I think most schools just care about the credits and the fact that you're taking the course. 

@rudy2012

Thank you so much for your info!!

It was really helpful :)

@av260987

All right!

I will still keep looking for an online course that I can complete in this semester--like Phoenix or UCB but cheaper--, but I will let you know!

Hey. I've decided to take a free course at coursera just to see how it is. It's starting on April 9.  Might take a proper class in summer. What have you decided?

Does anyone know where to get a PDF version of the text required for StraighterLine? Or any of the other online macro courses?

I'm currently living in a place without access to mail. I need an accredited online macro course with the text available online.